DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I'd be curious to see how Serious Big E would do with more experience under his belt and a much greater rapport with the audience. I doubt it'd be equivalent to the flop it was the first time.

But "curious" isn't an endorsement. Singles push him as a New Day member has been my stance for a good long while now. 

• Like 2

Pretty much every PPV recap thread on here (especially HIAC) has either called for it or praised it when shown glimpses of it. In fairness, I think the argument appears to be "We enjoy comedy Big E better, but if it means a main event push, I'll tolerate the reversion of the character"

I have no doubt Rusev could pull it off, I just feel that it's more a case of wanting what you can't have than a genuine desire to get behind the execution of it long term.. Same argument re: Cena heel turn for years now.

If they wanted to heat Rusev up again they could give him a rematch with Cena at Mania. He's already said it's BS Cena gets yet another title shot when people are chanting Rusev Day and he's right. That crowd would go nuts for a heel Cena submitting to a face Rusev, should be more than enough to put him on a good trajectory as a good guy.

Nah, he's been playing straight heel against Finn and Seth, and despite him saying "I have no road to WrestleMania" what he's really whining about is not having a main event title match. He's never been this consistently heelish before.

I expect it ends immediately after the Taker match though.

On another note - WWE have worked the Victorian Government in Australia like a motherfucker. Shilling out millions of dollars to hold a "PPV" event at the Melbourne Cricket Ground that they expect to draw 100k.  Names mentioned as appearing are Taker, Rousey and Cena.

Date will be the 6th of October (possibly 7th), a week after Hell In A Cell.

Yeah, they will be lucky to beat the crowd for Global Warning. 100k outside of tickets practically being given away (certainly not the case with GW), just isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

You say that like WWE's ever had a problem in the past heavily papering major shows.

I have no doubt it will to some extent, but would they want it to be unoffically-officially 100k? They love promoting Wrestlemania as the biggest deal around, and the attendance records they routinely set out to achieve everywhere they go. 

Do they really want their best ever house to be the equivalent of a late 90's UK PPV of little significance? And have they made expectations to said Govt throwing insane money at this that they will get 100k?

The other interesting part is the promise of a US PPV audience? Surely there's a miscommunication there about the difference between PPV market and Network special? Or I've grossly underestimated what they have up their sleeve as a selling point here.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

On another note - WWE have worked the Victorian Government in Australia like a motherfucker. Shilling out millions of dollars to hold a "PPV" event at the Melbourne Cricket Ground that they expect to draw 100k.  Names mentioned as appearing are Taker, Rousey and Cena.

Date will be the 6th of October (possibly 7th), a week after Hell In A Cell.

Yeah, they will be lucky to beat the crowd for Global Warning. 100k outside of tickets practically being given away (certainly not the case with GW), just isn't going to happen.

Where are you reading about the government handing out a bunch of money?

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Cena IS a heel now though right?

He has basically been a heel since he showed up on RAW and talked shit about Roman Reigns trying to take his spot.

His work in the Rumble was straight heel, his character dismissing guys like Balor and expecting to roll through the Chamber etc come off as heel. Walking to SDL and demanding a title match because he's John Cena is 100% a heel play.

He hasn't had that 'moment' of turning but desperate, old man Cena is definitely leaning well over the heel side of the line.

To be fair he actually said was willing to do what ever it took to get in the match. I only remember because I was shocked he didn’t just show up and put himself in the match like he usually does.

4 minutes ago, bazzil said:

Where are you reading about the government handing out a bunch of money?

Interesting to see the HS article remove all comments from Events Victoria regarding this since Saturday morning. 

I spoke with a state MP a fortnight ago who confirmed that Events Victoria/State Govt are bankrolling this along with the MCC (70-30% split up front with elaborate profit sharing), with similar status for Bon Jovi concert and a third event that hasn't been determined yet, as a sweetheart deal for commitment to upgrading Etihad Stadium.

32 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Interesting to see the HS article remove all comments from Events Victoria regarding this since Saturday morning. 

I spoke with a state MP a fortnight ago who confirmed that Events Victoria/State Govt are bankrolling this along with the MCC (70-30% split up front with elaborate profit sharing), with similar status for Bon Jovi concert and a third event that hasn't been determined yet, as a sweetheart deal for commitment to upgrading Etihad Stadium.

Sorry for being dense but isn't the Gov paying for the Etihad upgrade? Who's getting the deal if the Gov is paying for the events and the upgrade?

14 minutes ago, bazzil said:

Sorry for being dense but isn't the Gov paying for the Etihad upgrade? Who's getting the deal if the Gov is paying for the events and the upgrade?

State Govt (if re-elected) is paying for the Etihad upgrade. MCG are getting these events bankrolled as compensation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

They tried that when he came in and he was boring as fuck.  New Day gave him personality.

Dolph, AJ, and Kaitlyn gave him personality. He just wasn't allowed to display it much on TV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nah, he's been playing straight heel against Finn and Seth, and despite him saying "I have no road to WrestleMania" what he's really whining about is not having a main event title match. He's never been this consistently heelish before.

I expect it ends immediately after the Taker match though.

It just looks like he wants to tell everyone in the building to fuck off, even though he can't, but the dick behavior comes out in the heat of competition.