DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

But Meltzer said she didn't move the needle on Raw this week. 

Ratings wise she didn't, but walk up business to go to the two shows were way above normal. Probably as much blame lies on the third hour as anything.

If after a year or so, Rousey ends up being both pretty good in the ring and continues to draw, then main eventing Mania with her in a singles match would make sense. In that case, it should be Sasha but would probably be Charlotte.

21 minutes ago, Black Angel said:

Anybody know the name of the song that plays on the survivor series 2011 dvd menu? Left it on after watching and now that damn song is stuck in my head.

Is it Flo Rida's "Good Feeling"? That was the theme song of the show

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Is it Flo Rida's "Good Feeling"? That was the theme song of the show

I'd rather blow my brains out than have a Flo Rida song stuck in my head.

I've had the Everly Brothers "Bye Bye Love" stuck in my head all day after hearing it on Beatles radio this morning. I also heard "Gimme Back My Bullets" this morning, which of course, made me think of the Briscoes during ROH's glory days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reason #239 why I could never book:

I would put Lesnar v. Reigns FIRST just to blow everyone's mind, and to get it out of the way, and to create anticipation for the rest of the card. THIS is how big this WrestleMania is: the opener is Roman/Brock, a legit main event! It would give Reigns a reason to turn bitter heel afterwards, and give Heyman & Lesnar a shooty reason for their eventual return, either as heels against the fans ("your complaining took away my main event money") or as faces against management ("you tried to embarrass us on my way out but we are back").

- RAF

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Reason #239 why I could never book:

I would put Lesnar v. Reigns FIRST just to blow everyone's mind, and to get it out of the way, and to create anticipation for the rest of the card. THIS is how big this WrestleMania is: the opener is Roman/Brock, a legit main event! It would give Reigns a reason to turn bitter heel afterwards, and give Heyman & Lesnar a shooty reason for their eventual return, either as heels against the fans ("your complaining took away my main event money") or as faces against management ("you tried to embarrass us on my way out but we are back").

- RAF

I'm sure Brock would do the job on the pre-show if it could get him home faster. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One note I am shocked is getting lost in the shuffle of the WWE/FOX speculation is that if WWE RAW does end up getting on the main Network prime time schedule, we would be getting a return to two hours for RAW since the FOX primetime schedule only runs 8-10 except for Sunday's.

That right there I am sure would be reason for a lot of folks to root for such a move. Though I am sure that maybe an extra hour of programming would end up on FX during the week (maybe NXT or the long rumored women's show)

• Like 1

Even with all this acrimony towards Brock on his way out, you just know they'll be eating out of the palm of his ass again if he was somehow able to beat Jon Jones. Actually if he beats any opponent high profile enough (to be pitted against him) that will be the case. If Brock/Reigns is placed in the middle or in the next-to-last hour of the card (because they can't get it over with fast enough) is it crazy to think they would just go all in and have Reigns win even quicker than Goldberg did at Survivor Series? I'd say no for a few obvious reasons. The first is that even if the live crowd is going to piss all over such a lame duck match the longer it goes, it would still look too disparate to have a guy eat a flash pin off one finisher at WrestleMania, of all events, where guy's life meter bars are multiplied times infinity. The other reason is Reigns' life meter needs to be put over by eating a bucket of F5's to puff up his victory montage on Raw the next night.  

If Cena really wants to lure 'Taker out of retirement, he needs to film a vignette where he decorates the graves of Mean Mark and Kane's burnt up parents with his shitty rainbow brite hats and t-shirts and then pours a 40 out in their remembrance. Or just present some doctored photos of himself and Michelle McCool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, L_W_P said:

So while watching SDL the Bludgeon Bros come down and my wife asks me to fast forward this bit. When I asked her why she said she can't stand these meatheads. So naturally I pressed her for some sort of ranking/idea about who she likes and who she doesnt. Here is the list (in order of preference), as composed by a 30yo female who watches Diva+Bellas but will read a book or browse her phone while I track through RAW & SDL - 

Great - "I love their personality/character/charisma" 
Miz & Maryse
New Day
Alexa Bliss
Nia Jax
Asuka
Nakamura
Demon Balor
Bella Twins (+ Bryan)
Rusev and Lana
Naomi
Breezango
Charlotte
The Usos
John Cena
Matt Hardy

Neutral - "They seem fine, I just don't get/care for their character"
Becky Lynch
Bayley
AJ Styles
Dean Ambrose
Baron Corbin
Finn Balor - Made a point of this. Says the Demon was awesome. "Pedo-Smile Flasher" Finn is not.
Aiden English
Kane
Seth Rollins
Sami Zayn
Chris Jericho
Randy Orton
Roman Reigns
Dolph Ziggler
Bobby Roode
Titus Worldwide (w Dana)

Seriously The Worst - Please skip these guys
The Ascension
Shane McMahon
Bray Wyatt
Harper and Rowan
Elias
Brock and Heyman
Kevin Owens
Braun Strowman

When I pressed about Braun (who I love) she said that it felt like he was being made to look so much better than everyone else just because he was a big guy. That they should do this with Demon Balor or Rusev.

Interested in people's thoughts on how a pretty casual watcher sees things.

They should make the 150 lb. vaguely supernatural (in a non-threatening way) really good looking guy more dominant than the big Bluto guy that is an actual monster? I guess that falls perfectly in line with how somebody who watches this shit more like a comic book would see things. I guess that would make Braun the big stupid Zod henchman guy from Superman II and Demon Balor Superman. It would also make regular Balor wussy ass depowered Clark Kent that got his clock cleaned in the diner. I don't even want to think about relating the creep part though because that would mean depowered Clark Kent went into the phone booth to get undressed for other very wrong reasons.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, nate said:

I'm assuming that Asuka wins a title at Mania, holds for a year (still undefeated), and we get Rousey/Asuka for Mania '19 as the main.

They will have her forfeit the title and move to Smackdown so she can keep being UNDEFEATED!!! Because apparently feigning an injury to forfeit a belt does not count as losing. 

17 hours ago, L_W_P said:

When I pressed about Braun (who I love) she said that it felt like he was being made to look so much better than everyone else just because he was a big guy. That they should do this with Demon Balor or Rusev.

She is not so much a casual viewer as a captive audience; If you were not watching it, she would not be. Which is not a good barometer for who is over or can draw. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, L_W_P said:

So while watching SDL the Bludgeon Bros come down and my wife asks me to fast forward this bit. When I asked her why she said she can't stand these meatheads. So naturally I pressed her for some sort of ranking/idea about who she likes and who she doesnt. Here is the list (in order of preference), as composed by a 30yo female who watches Diva+Bellas but will read a book or browse her phone while I track through RAW & SDL - 

Seriously The Worst - Please skip these guys
The Ascension
Shane McMahon
Bray Wyatt
Harper and Rowan
Elias
Brock and Heyman
Kevin Owens
Braun Strowman

The list seems anti-beard to me. Which makes sense, if someone were a casual viewer and they didn't like beards they would likely be less inclined to like someone with one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ratings wise she didn't, but walk up business to go to the two shows were way above normal. Probably as much blame lies on the third hour as anything.

If after a year or so, Rousey ends up being both pretty good in the ring and continues to draw, then main eventing Mania with her in a singles match would make sense. In that case, it should be Sasha but would probably be Charlotte.

I read they want Rousey to be a female Stone Cold. Two weeks in and they all ready have no idea how to use her.

On a side note It's too bad Meisha Tate is pregnant, cause I'd love to see her cost Ronda a match.

9 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

If Cena really wants to lure 'Taker out of retirement, he needs to film a vignette where he decorates the graves of Mean Mark and Kane's burnt up parents with his shitty rainbow brite hats and t-shirts and then pours a 40 out in their remembrance. Or just present some doctored photos of himself and Michelle McCool.

I'd love to see Cena put his "Never Give Up" towel on the grave of Dice Morgan The Punisher.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I read they want Rousey to be a female Stone Cold. Two weeks in and they all ready have no idea how to use her.

Its more they want to recreate the Austin/Vince angle with Rhonda and Steph

That is gonna get ugly quick

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Its more they want to recreate the Austin/Vince angle with Rhonda and Steph

That is gonna get ugly quick

That's gonna be hard when people only go over Steph once a year.

• Like 2

At least with Vince, the guy was willing to take a beating. Stephanie never gets what's coming to her. The closest she came was the Brie feud and even then they had to come up with something to protect her so she went over.

• Like 2