DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

They have already done a women's rumble and a women's elimination chamber this year. They can afford to hold off having the women main event Mania for now.

I'm assuming that Asuka wins a title at Mania, holds for a year (still undefeated), and we get Rousey/Asuka for Mania '19 as the main.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Also, I legit laughed at Rousey getting the "Snooki" spot. Are people still thinking that she's not going to be featured as the biggest star in the company moving forward? She'll probably (and probably should) main event every PPV she competes in.  

Admittedly, that's the first name that came to mind and doesn't reflect Ronda's true position.  My point is for the time being, Ronda has the novelty factor that normally slots in a specific spot on a WM card. It remains to be seen if they can build on it or if it becomes diminishing returns.

As for WM 31, my philosophy has been that Rollins' cash-in was the best thing ever to many until they realized Rollins would flounder.

Why is there an assumption that Asuka is going to be facing Charlotte instead of Alexa?  I'm pretty sure they've said on commentary during Raw that Asuka was going to be facing Alexa at Mania and all signs on Raw point to a build for that match.

15 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Why is there an assumption that Asuka is going to be facing Charlotte instead of Alexa?  I'm pretty sure they've said on commentary during Raw that Asuka was going to be facing Alexa at Mania and all signs on Raw point to a build for that match.

Because that is the reported plan (and has been for awhile) - WON, PWI, etc...

For example - WON that came out today

At one point WWE had promoted that Asuka would be making her decision of which championship she would go after on the Raw show. But no such segment took place. Asuka was in the ring with Alexa Bliss and got sucker punched and laid out by her before doing a six-person match against her.

The most recent WrestleMania plans were the women’s title matches to be Bliss vs. Nia Jax and Charlotte Flair vs,. Asuka. Jax was protected as much as could be possible in losing to Asuka on the Chamber show, and continued getting the monster push. Bliss, in her television interview, kept saying that Jax deserves the title shot as a way to avoid Asuka. The idea is she kept saying it because she knew it had no chance of happening, and makes sense that it ends up happening. But it’s unclear where all that stands right now.

Count me in for wondering why there's Charlotte vs Asuka talk when I could swear on Raw they mentioned multiple times that it would be Asuka vs Alexa. Plus, why even make Asuka vs Nia for the shot at the Raw Women's Champion if Asuka isn't going to take on Alexa for that title anyway.

Logistically, it just doesn't make sense. Hmm, maybe that's why they might do Asuka vs Charlotte then.

They went back and forth

Originally both Rumble winners got to pick

Then suddenly on a RAW - Kurt Angle announced that Asuka was facing the RAW champion

Then it went back to Asuka gets to pick

Heck if you look on WWE.com - still listed in their Royal Rumble results

First-ever 30-Woman Royal Rumble Match
Asuka won the first-ever 30-Woman Royal Rumble Match to receive a World Championship opportunity at WrestleMania. 

So while watching SDL the Bludgeon Bros come down and my wife asks me to fast forward this bit. When I asked her why she said she can't stand these meatheads. So naturally I pressed her for some sort of ranking/idea about who she likes and who she doesnt. Here is the list (in order of preference), as composed by a 30yo female who watches Diva+Bellas but will read a book or browse her phone while I track through RAW & SDL - 

Great - "I love their personality/character/charisma" 
Miz & Maryse
New Day
Alexa Bliss
Nia Jax
Asuka
Nakamura
Demon Balor
Bella Twins (+ Bryan)
Rusev and Lana
Naomi
Breezango
Charlotte
The Usos
John Cena
Matt Hardy

Neutral - "They seem fine, I just don't get/care for their character"
Becky Lynch
Bayley
AJ Styles
Dean Ambrose
Baron Corbin
Finn Balor - Made a point of this. Says the Demon was awesome. "Pedo-Smile Flasher" Finn is not.
Aiden English
Kane
Seth Rollins
Sami Zayn
Chris Jericho
Randy Orton
Roman Reigns
Dolph Ziggler
Bobby Roode
Titus Worldwide (w Dana)

Seriously The Worst - Please skip these guys
The Ascension
Shane McMahon
Bray Wyatt
Harper and Rowan
Elias
Brock and Heyman
Kevin Owens
Braun Strowman

When I pressed about Braun (who I love) she said that it felt like he was being made to look so much better than everyone else just because he was a big guy. That they should do this with Demon Balor or Rusev.

Interested in people's thoughts on how a pretty casual watcher sees things.

• Like 3

My wife first saw Finn in the demon getup and thought he looked like a jerkoff (which I think is a fair assessment, but it's insanely over so what do I know.)

I told her he was actually a really handsome dude that the women went crazy for, so she looked him up and agreed, which made her even more mystified by the demon stuff. It took watching the entrance with someone who's never seen it and doesn't follow wrestling to really see how Wrestlecrap worthy people would find it if their wasn't already an affinity for Finn built in, or you were a kid who would be equally impressed by, say, The Boogeyman or Kevin Thorn. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Seriously The Worst - Please skip these guys

The Ascension
Shane McMahon
Bray Wyatt
Harper and Rowan
Elias
Brock and Heyman
Kevin Owens
Braun Strowman

When I pressed about Braun (who I love) she said that it felt like he was being made to look so much better than everyone else just because he was a big guy. That they should do this with Demon Balor or Rusev.

I can see all those and agree on Braun, but why the beloved Shane O Mac?!

7 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I can see all those and agree on Braun, but why the beloved Shane O Mac?!

She hates how he looks/acts.

Said he was a 50yo man trying to be a hip 25yo with the dancing and trying too hard to be 'cool'. Hates how he name drops every town to get cheers. Also that he has no chin and his face is just an extension of his neck.

• Haha 6

Re: Why the speculation on Asuka vs Charlotte, take a quick peek at the SmackDown women's division. Not a lot of momentum for any potential challengers (Sorry, Becky Bros). Meanwhile, Raw is flush with hands that could be played. Unless a part-timer is going to challenge Charlotte, Asuka is by far the only compelling option. 

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

When we were kids, other kids cried when they saw Undertaker and Papa Shango.  They were little bitch kids, but still.

Nobody's crying because they're scared of Demon Finn.

I cry in terror when I imagine being trapped in a car with him and he starts talking about comics.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OSJ said:

We can just say we had the tournament and Pete Dunne won it and call it good. There we go, the Year of the Bruiserweight!

I was hoping we could just say we had the tournament in Rio and Pat Patterson won.

• Haha 2

I gotta be real and say I maybe watched like six hours of wrestling during the voting period.  My give a fuck about wrestling part of my brain is fucking broken and I don't know why.

All six hours were DDT

So the Final 4 should be all be Maho Kurone

• Like 2