DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

• RIPPA pinned and featured this topic

Man that's some great news on the last page of Februarys omnibus thread about big boi Keith Lee signing to WWE. Im not familiar with WALTER though. I guess Chuck Taylor was right in his tweet, besides a select few guys (most of which are with NJPW and/or ROH anyway) the indy scene really is dwindling as guys get signed. That being said, I've really been a mostly casual at best observer of the Indies over the last 8 or so years to begin with. Who are the guys to watch these days besides the obvious (Bucks, Cody, ZSJ, Ospreay, Chuck and Trent, Riddle etc)?

To follow up on discussion from the end of the month

Per Meltzer on the radio show

Braun is most definitely a backup plan though Dave says it is more the backup for Reigns than Lesnar (again - the baffling people Dave is willing to believe is a whole separate discussion). If he isn't needed for the main event, his most likely scenarios are

- IC Title Multi-man match

- vs. Elias

- Andre Memorial Battle Royal

The Lesnar stuff is that someone decided (and Dave was adamant about not knowing who officially made the call but he could speculate) that since everyone knows Brock is leaving, they want him as the heel in the Mania match. That is why they are doing the whole "He doesn't care about you. He only cares about money" etc.. etc.. Of course - they somehow think this is going get Reigns cheered on the regular

So yeah (and this is me speaking) - no fucking chance that match goes on last.

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Lesnar stuff is that someone decided (and Dave was adamant about not knowing who officially made the call but he could speculate) that since everyone knows Brock is leaving, they want him as the heel in the Mania match. That is why they are doing the whole "He doesn't care about you. He only cares about money" etc.. etc.. Of course - they somehow think this is going get Reigns cheered on the regular

Yep. Wrestlemania XX all over again.

• Like 1

As hackey and phoney as "shoots" are, crowds eat that shit up. People tend to forget that before CM Punk's pipebomb promo, he wasn't doing a whole lot. He got stuck as leader of a failing Nexus, jobbed to Orton at WM, actually he jobbed to Orton a bunch, was used more as a tool in Truth's feud with Cena, etc. People already liked Punk, but the moment he cut that promo everyone went crazy for the guy. Fans love it when they think someone is actually telling them the truth and is actually talking shit about someone else. It doesn't work all of the time, but when you save that for special occasions, I think it works.

The potential is there for this shit with Roman to really work, but it needs to feel real. It really needs to feel like Roman is actually talking real shit about Brock. Maybe Roman brings up that Brock has to sit out for a year if he goes back to UFC because Brock can't win without failing a drug test. Have Roman talk about how he's more than happy to send Brock back to UFC. Bring up that who knows if Brock even shows up and if he doesn't then he'll be more than happy to fight Braun or someone else for the title. There's a limit to where you can go with "shooting," but Vince should know that he's playing with house money. If Brock doesn't like it then Brock can fuck off. Run Brock's name down every week and go scorched earth on the guy. Brock doesn't move the needle anyway and is more of a burden to the company than anything else.

Of course, I guess the problem is that all of the above may work in a feud with Brock, but you can't "shoot" forever and against every other opponent. It's likely that fans go right back to booing Roman after WM, but at least Roman won't get booed out of the building again.

Yeah - the problem is that the crowd cheered Reigns during the promo and then when he came out for the dark match... they booed the shit out of him

• Haha 1

That's why it's so crazy that after a shaky and somewhat poor build to Roman vs Lesnar the first time around, they were actively succeeding in getting Roman over with the WM 31 crowd. They totally went the Tommy Dreamer "Thank you sir may I have ANOTHER" route with Roman and Brock basically let Roman potato the shit out of him. EVERYTHING WAS WORKING. It was a fucking miracle as far as miracles in wrestling go. And then what happened, happened.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Who are the guys to watch these days besides the obvious (Bucks, Cody, ZSJ, Ospreay, Chuck and Trent, Riddle etc)?

Check out Rex Andrews.  He's one of Booker's students.  He works a submission-based style, and he's quite good at making his matches look like actual battles, and not cooperative performances.  I saw him have a really great match against Matt Riddle in November (that, sadly, was taped, but I don't think has been released).  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It'd be complete and total insanity to put this on last, and I certainly wouldn't put it past WWE to do it anyway.  But this absolutely needs AJ/Nakamura to be the main event.  For one, it'll have the crowd hyped for the show all the way until the end.  For another if they do Lesnar/Reigns last then we're just going to leave.  And I wouldn't be surprised if others do the same.  It wouldn't be a show of defiance from us, just a lack of interest.

Bravo now claims he's done an 'exhaustive' report where he'll name all WWE wrestlers who have connections to WFN. He says one WWE legend bought over $140,000 of product and tries to suggest the guy was handing it out in the locker room, thus making them a distributor.

As I mentioned in the Raw thread, he's pivoting to focus more on WWE as a company as that will get more attention and possibly attract someone who will buy his would-be documentary.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh you sweet summer child

FWIW we already have plans for what we'll do if Reigns/Lesnar goes on last.  So if it happens so be it, that leaves more time for New Orleans wackiness.

Now if they deny us AJ/Nakamura and change it up then we're going to have problems.

Another follow-up - the newest WON confirming the stupidness we already saw reported

Regarding Apollo dropping the Crews last name, it’s been confirmed through people who have seen internal e-mails that it was a decision made by Vince McMahon because of the gunman in the Parkland school mass murder names Nikolas Cruz. That had previously been reported by Daniel Wood and in many other places. WWE never denied the story to us, only said that they had never released that information to any media source. The reason for the dropping of the name wasn’t supposed to get out

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It'd be complete and total insanity to put this on last, and I certainly wouldn't put it past WWE to do it anyway.  But this absolutely needs AJ/Nakamura to be the main event.  For one, it'll have the crowd hyped for the show all the way until the end.  For another if they do Lesnar/Reigns last then we're just going to leave.  And I wouldn't be surprised if others do the same.  It wouldn't be a show of defiance from us, just a lack of interest.

Precious few who spent all that money to see WM live will leave early. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't buy it.

Styles/Nak would have to be built up a lot to go on last, and it still doesn't have the needed cache for casual fans. The Ronda match has a chance, though that feels like it gets whatever spot the Snooki match had a few years ago. If Cena/Taker is a go, that's got the best shot of pushing Lesnar/Reigns down the card. Then again, do they want to do another Taker retirement-type closing act?

If they go with Styles/Nak/Cena as a triple threat somehow, all bets are off.

The possible Brock return to UFC rumors will get some mainstream play and we know WWE will hype Lesnar/Reigns II to the gills under that premise. That you and others will boo Reigns or vow to leave early didn't keep them from booking him last three years running. I'm not saying it's a lock to go on last, but the idea that it absolutely won't isn't right, either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Precious few who spent all that money to see WM live will leave early. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't buy it.

You're not wrong, and if I had my way I'd stay for the match.  But for us I'd buy it.  We all spent $81 each which isn't cheap, and that's for damn near nosebleed seats.  But their justification is that if we go for the pre-show that's almost 6 hours of wrestling.  So it'd be more than worth the value for them.  I'm not saying others will do the same but if it was the case it wouldn't shock me.

But moving on, I think there'd be enough interest in Styles/Nak.  Their moment in the MITB match last year had people going crazy, and factoring in people will fly from all over the world it's a lock the hype will certainly be there.  The Brock rumors are intriguing but would they want to close Wrestlemania with the crowd shitting on both guys?  I wouldn't do it but I'm not in charge.

I still think they go Asuka/Charlotte for the last match on the show. The undefeated Empress against WWE's Queen where Charlotte gets to do something her father never did which is end the show at Wrestlemania. Plus the company can say that the women have finally main evented a WrestleMania and not have to deal with that question coming up every year anymore.

• Like 1

Okay - I guess I need to be clearer

Brysynner is right that the WWE is very adamant about having a woman in the Main Event of Wrestlemania

That woman is Stephanie McMahon

There are two - and only two - options: Brock/Reigns or the Mixed Tag Match

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - I guess I need to be clearer

Brysynner is right that the WWE is very adamant about having a woman in the Main Event of Wrestlemania

That woman is Stephanie McMahon

There are two - and only two - options: Brock/Reigns or the Mixed Tag Match

If Brock's leaving, they should just have Steph go over him on the way out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1