DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is I Don't Fear That Bitch - 2/26/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Lost in all the awesome promos was the line of the night by Graves...

"Daniel Bryan isn't on the A-List. He's not on any list! Well... He's on the same list as me, but that's a different story."

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

remember Michael P.S. Hayes had a knockout punch,   his left was deadly.  But he was also a little weasel often times and even a coward at times.  I think it's okay for a heel to be a little shit but also be dangerous. 

Shit, I was actually going to bring up Bobby Eaton, not the biggest dude in the world. It never mattered because his punches were that good and being a guy with a face even his momma didn't love coupled with having a mouth full of marbles means you could buy him throwing those punches since he was ten. Hayes is 6’4” even if he always had the dexterity of a big ole sack of shit coated in Evan Williams and onion rings farts.  The other thing is you’re discounting the crazed out redneck factor. Bobby Eaton looks like he’s been in his fair share of barroom scrapes while Hayes looks like the exact type of asshole to sucker punch some poor old drunk off a picnic table. That’s a pretty big gulf between grizzled looking burnt out rednecks and petite former fitness model pageant contestants.

Punches are punches is fine in theory except if it makes your hug-obsessed babyfaces look like even bigger idiots for not realizing they are allowed  to punch back. The ideal of babyfaces so virtuous they won’t even consider knocking the living shit out of somebody is hackneyed. Especially when most of them tower over Bliss to the degree that they could just pound her on top of the head until she was ground down into the mat like Wile E. Coyote. Asuka is clearly broader shouldered than Bliss whose power (without getting inappropriate here) looks like it would be posterior based. Knee strikes would just plainly make much more sense.

As far as Asuka and Bliss just plain being the same size, there’s a reason I assume they’re building to an undefeated Asuka vs. Rhonda main event, possibly even at next year’s WrestleMania, and that if they ran Rhonda vs. Bliss, it would look ridiculous if it turned out any other way than a Brock vs. Miz match or that Brock/Rollins title match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So "they're" saying that Braun is the "backup plan" for Mania, but my question is.....the backup for what? Like, is Brock just not going to show up to any more shows until his contract expires? Or, if contact negotiations break down and they feel like they want to pull Brock from Mania all together, then what? Does he come in and drop the title to Braun on a random RAW three weeks before Mania? And then Braun gets a three week run as champ only to lose to Reigns at Mania? Do they strip Brock of the title and just make the Reigns/Braun match for the vacant title? I just don't get how either idea would be a good "backup plan" to just having Brock show up and lose.

I guess if Brock is leaving again, it's not unheard of for him to flake so it's possible maybe he really would just refuse to drop the belt (I doubt this highly, I'm pretty sure it's all just an angle building off how things really did almost fall apart three years ago)

Braun is also a backup plan in case the Reigns/Bravo/Rodriguez thing becomes a major problem for them. And while I doubt that happens either, it strikes me as more plausible.

4 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Asuka is undefeated?  Did they wipe away Tenille fka Emma's win?

She only lost in tags so I am not sure what Emma match you are talking about

5 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

That only makes Mike Sharpe look like an ass for failing to ever win anything with his loaded forearm sleeve.

Dammit, now I want to see Alexa clobbering opponents with a loaded forearm sleeve while doing the Iron Mike Sharpe vocalizations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Victator said:

She has some people (including whoever runs Raw) under a spell that makes them see her in a way most of the world doesn't. 

This.  Lol, thanks.  I was a little worried I was the only one who doesn't get Alexa's appeal. Her character work has been great and I give her a lot of credit for making a spot for herself on the roster when she easily could have floundered.  But I still have no desire to see her wrestle.  

Her size doesn't help - it probably makes it a little harder to take her seriously - but she could overcome that easily if she was better in the ring.  

I dunno.  What she's doing just isn't working for me.  Her popularity on Smackdown brought Becky's push to a standstill and the same thing has happened to Sasha Banks (and maybe Bayley, though there's a lot of other issues there).  A year ago, Raw positioning the women's title prominently and Sasha/Charlotte were doing 20-30 min matches.  Now.we get 5-6 matches that seem to feature a lot of Alexa punching people and jumping on their backs.

• Like 1

It also ended up hindering Charlotte because they were focusing the entire division around her but then when Vince fell in love with Alexa, Charlotte was the one sacrificed to Smackdown to get Alexa on the A show

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I guess if Brock is leaving again, it's not unheard of for him to flake so it's possible maybe he really would just refuse to drop the belt (I doubt this highly, I'm pretty sure it's all just an angle building off how things really did almost fall apart three years ago)

Braun is also a backup plan in case the Reigns/Bravo/Rodriguez thing becomes a major problem for them. And while I doubt that happens either, it strikes me as more plausible.

Ditto on any Brock won't show rumors being nothing more than misdirection smoke. It just works way too well with Roman's absentee bitch of a champion digs.

19 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Guys (not named Roman or Brock) I could believe taking the belt from Braun - 

Cena - Obviously.

Samoa Joe - Choke the big man out.

'Demon' Balor - Still 'undefeated' and could be used to explain away a loss for Braun.

Jeff Hardy - Not going to happen but Jeff hitting a Swanton Bomb from the entrance scaffolding to the floor again would be enough to keep Braun down believably.

Kofi/Sami/MacIntyre/Nakamura - Build their finishing moves up as a concussion causing moves, capable of stunning Braun for a 3 count. For Kofi throw in the New Day numbers also.

Not Big E or Rusev?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It also ended up hindering Charlotte because they were focusing the entire division around her but then when Vince fell in love with Alexa, Charlotte was the one sacrificed to Smackdown to get Alexa on the A show

Charlotte going to SDL was a good idea. Never letting any of the three best women on the SDL feud was the problem. Fuck even just escalating the stable war stuff between them and the rest would have been fine. The booking has just been a weird, shitty holding pattern when not focused on pushing the lesser talented women (Carmella, Nattie). I mean Ruby was brought up 4 months ago and is only just now getting a title shot. When the fuck was Charlotte's televised last defense before this?

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Charlotte going to SDL was a good idea. Never letting any of the three best women on the SDL feud was the problem. Fuck even just escalating the stable war stuff between them and the rest would have been fine. The booking has just been a weird, shitty holding pattern when not focused on pushing the lesser talented women (Carmella, Nattie). I mean Ruby was brought up 4 months ago and is only just now getting a title shot. When the fuck was Charlotte's televised last defense before this?

IMO, Charlotte's floundered on SDL due to bad booking.  There are quite a few people on that show who are very over, but still get left off tv.  I also think turning Charlotte babyface slowed her momentum.  Meltzer thinks they turned her because she had a book coming out (w/ Ric), but then they didn't promote the book much anyway, lol.  They did the same thing they did with Dolph - turned her face, essentially neutering her character, then didn't replace the heel character with anything interesting.

I don't miss Carmella at all, but I am wondering if she crapped in someone's bag - literally or figuratively.   The women's division revolved around her and the MiTB briefcase for a fair while, now she's rarely on TV.  Since she hasn't cashed in unsuccessfully, I expect she'll cash in on the WM winner and win the belt - to no reaction.

Honestly, I think SDL is a mess right now.  If they send AJ and a couple other people over to RAW in the next draft, the show will have to improve to keep me watching.

I fully expect the USO's match to be bumped to the WM pre-show at the last minute.   It will be annoying.

8 hours ago, Victator said:

Hayes was a fairly large man and rarely won matches with a punch. It also looked good. Bliss's punch looked like shit. 

She has some people (including whoever runs Raw) under a spell that makes them see her in a way most of the world doesn't. 

Hey I just wanted to talk about the Freebirds. If it was up to me Alexa wouldn't be getting another Mania push

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

As far as Asuka and Bliss just plain being the same size, there’s a reason I assume they’re building to an undefeated Asuka vs. Rhonda main event, possibly even at next year’s WrestleMania, and that if they ran Rhonda vs. Bliss, it would look ridiculous if it turned out any other way than a Brock vs. Miz match or that Brock/Rollins title match.

I agree with you on this but if we are going to do that for the women then I think more people should have agreed with me on Punk vs. Lesnar.   I thought it looked ridiculous for Lesnar to be taking all that offense,  it's one of the worst "hyped" matches of the past ten years. 

• Like 2

I get what they see in Alexa Bliss, and i think she's a commodity, but she shouldnt be throwing closed fists at all. She might have the smallest closed fist in the entire company. Forearms and open hands would suit her much better.

This could all be solved by her using the Power of the Punch. Would fit her character much better than her having sneaky power or whatever it is they're trying to sell us.

SD's problem is they're booking their best people in the wrong alignment. AJ, Bonny and Charlotte are natural heels, but they're aligned as faces. Ruby is an excellent fiery babyface booked as a heel.

Ziggler... if they just went back to him with a female manager and a bodyguard he'd rise again. I miss Zig, AJ and Big E...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

IMO, Charlotte's floundered on SDL due to bad booking.  There are quite a few people on that show who are very over, but still get left off tv.  I also think turning Charlotte babyface slowed her momentum.  Meltzer thinks they turned her because she had a book coming out (w/ Ric), but then they didn't promote the book much anyway, lol.  They did the same thing they did with Dolph - turned her face, essentially neutering her character, then didn't replace the heel character with anything interesting.

I don't miss Carmella at all, but I am wondering if she crapped in someone's bag - literally or figuratively.   The women's division revolved around her and the MiTB briefcase for a fair while, now she's rarely on TV.  Since she hasn't cashed in unsuccessfully, I expect she'll cash in on the WM winner and win the belt - to no reaction

Charlotte turned because she was the most over woman one the show when she showed up. The fans were cheering for her regularly. The issue is that she was also the best heel, and they had no one even remotely as interesting to replace her. They also fucked up by throwing away the whole Welcome Committee story line for MITB. Honestly, its amazing that Charlotte, Becky, and Naomi are still over with the crap/non booking they have been through the past year.

Every briefcase tease gets the audience excited. The issue is that they put it on someone who isn't ready or super over. Her cash in would get reactions. She would just be likely dead in the water in the aftermath because no one really cares that much about her right now. Even when she appeared regularly she wasn't getting much reaction.

• Like 1