DVDVR Message Board

UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya (3/3/2018) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

45 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Apparently CB had to be stretchered out he was hit so hard.  Given that it was at least 2 seconds after the horn there is no way he protected himself either.

Mark Smith was way out of position. If guys are in an exchange right before the horn, you gotta jump in there. 

Awful scorecard from Marco Rosales there. Keep in mind, Rosales is one the guys who in the past has judged fights in Brazil. Rosales was also the dissenting judge in Johnson vs. Milstead. Close fight, but he gaves all three rounds to Adam Milstead.

If you're keeping score, Adalaide Byrd has had two terrible scorecards tonight and Rosales has one. Next time, you wanna start in on Brazil judging think about this card.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I want Cyborg vs Conor

Dude if you keep coming into threads for events where Cyborg is fighting and keep doing this, I am going to have to get one of the admins to intervene. Just stop. We get it. 

Anyway:

Dana implies he could see Cyborg vs. Nunes on 224 instead of the bantamweight title fight in May. Cyborg wants Nunes in July, but obviously I don't see Nunes fighting in May and July. Got a sense that Cyborg could want a bigger purse for another quick turnaround.

How often do you see a perfectly thrown counter elbow, much less against a world caliber striker? That was insane and the loaded up uppercuts afterwards... boy, gotdamn. Ortiz is the real deal. I think Holloway's in-out game and pressure will make for a really interesting fight and this is after I said there wasn't much for Max to compete with after he ended Jose Aldo: top fighter. 

Kunitskaya could not handle Cyborg's power and there is no shame in that. I was really impressed with her counter ankle pick and grappling though. She should do pretty well at bantamweight.

O'Malley's striking defense was way better tonight, as was his pacing. Fantastic fight from him but now he's got a clear goal in working on his takedown defense. Terrible tattoos aside, he's pretty awesome.

Hernandez and Stamann look like really high-end prospects. Stamann beat one of, if not the most highly regarded prospect in the sport and then he edges out the #7 bantamweight. Sky is the limit. He's so quick! And holy shit Hernandez with the destruction job. Another incredible athlete. I love it.

Stamann's real problem is going to be against fighters who are way more active than him. That's how Caraway won the first round really. Then, Caraway's activity dipped precipitously and everything became more deliberate, telegraphed, and easy to read for Stamann until the last minute of the fight. I dunno if Caraway was drinking the same water Sara McMann was last week against Reneau he just got sloppy after the first round, but he looked like he was a bit shopworn in that very next round. That's really concerning for someone who has a strong first five minutes. 

I don't know if Stamann is going to get the same opening where his opponent just doesn't do a whole bunch for almost ten minutes except failed takedowns. I don't think that happens against the really top bantamweights. How does he perform against someone who is going to bring it to him for the entirety of the fight?

Alex Hernandez, who in terms of looks is an amalgamation of young Diego Sanchez and Rick Story, might be really good. I dunno about walking at folks like the Terminator is being always good strategy, but Dariush clearly didn't think he was going to get melted. Going to be interested to see who they put him up against next.

It seemed like the 2 years off for Caraway hit him like a mad truck  in the 2nd round. 

The Dern fight was interesting in her future fights she needs to work on moving her head and trying to get the fight to the ground instead of liking to exchange then eating shots because that will get her knockout in future fights. It seemed like from the post fight interview she chose to exchange strikes then the last two mins was like ok I had my fun now it's time to try to finish her in the last 30 seconds. 

Dern is going to have to shore up her wresting until everything else comes together. That's the only thing she can do really. She isn't hesitant to throw punches and it's clear she likes that aspect of fighting. Obviously, you don't want her go the Rousey route and develop grappler's envy where she doesn't want to do anything but striking. However, she is clearly at that stage where hopefully someone could come in and help her develop the head movement, footwork, and everything else that comes with that.

Another part of this is that right now, because of the hype, everyone of her opponents is going to try to tip over the apple cart just like the opponents of VanZant and Sage Northcutt. PVZ is understandable because she is still raw, hasn't been able to put it together, and already facing mid to upper level opposition who can certainly exploit all that. On the other hand, Enrique Marin and Thibault Gouti are turning in their UFC career best performances against Sage Northcutt. Dern is likely to be brought along slow for a little while longer, but that's going to be a recurring theme while she's still on this level. At the LFA or Invicta level, the fear of God aspect for prospects like this curtails any miraculous career rejuvenation. Nine out of ten times, those fighters start out in survival mode or go into survival mode at the first sign of something bad happening. In the UFC, many prospects feel that pressure to perform at a higher level and their opponents not only know they're being brought in as an opponent but want to launch their UFC career. They know they're stuck in the prelims and on the cusp of being cut. A win over a top level or notable prospect extends your UFC career for a few more fights and gets some spotlight on you. Dern has to be cognizant of that aspect of her UFC career.

No doubt watch someone from TUF 20 will be her next opponent.

The thing that will actually help her the UFC will probably bring her along slowly now but if she would have submitted Yoder in 2 mins they would have strapped a rocket to her. 

• Like 1

If the UFC can get Cyborg/Nunes on 224, Holloway/Ortega may be feasible for 226 if Holloway is healthy enough. However, if I was the UFC, I would push to do that in Aloha Stadium. This is their opening.

• Like 1

Poor Yana.  She's a very competent fighter but you have to be more than competent to face Cris Cyborg. 

On the one hand, I give her credit for taking a fight that few fighters would but on the other hand, she was still a lamb rushing to make sure her whole forehead was lined up with the bolt gun.  Cris Cyborg is not the fighter you want to make your UFC debut against.

Brian Ortega is a fucking surgeon.  That elbow was ridiculously accurate and there are German train schedules that don't have the precise timing of that KO uppercut.  I'm looking forward to Holloway v. Ortega and that fight absolutely must go down in Hawai'i.

Welcome to the big show, Alex Hernandez!

Why in the world did Andre Soukhamthath tale Sean O'Malley down? WHY~?  You're supposed to keep him standing for as long as you can and make him aggravate his injury.  You don't fucking take him down to relieve the pressure on his bad leg!  FUCK~!

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Poor Yana.  She's a very competent fighter but you have to be more than competent to face Cris Cyborg. 

On the one hand, I give her credit for taking a fight that few fighters would but on the other hand, she was still a lamb rushing to make sure her whole forehead was lined up with the bolt gun.  Cris Cyborg is not the fighter you want to make your UFC debut against.

Bryan Ortega is a fucking surgeon.  That elbow was ridiculously accurate and are German train schedules that don't have the precise timing of that KO uppercut.  I'm looking forward to Holloway v. Ortega and that fight absolutely must go down in Hawai'i.

Welcome to the big show, Alex Hernandez!

Why in the world did Andre Soukhamthath tale Sean O'Malley down? WHY~?  You're supposed to keep him standing for as long as you can and make him aggravate his injury.  You don't fucking take him down to relieve the pressure on his bad leg!  FUCK~!

Andre Soukhamthath would have won the fight if he would have just taken three steps back.  When O'malley couldn't walk towards him to close the distance, the ref would have been forced to stop the fight.  He couldn't intelligently defend himself while standing, so Soukhamthath took him down and didn't do much of anything.  

Ortega is fucking legit.  He might be the best finisher on the roster right now.  That uppercut has already overtaken the Ngannou in my book as the best uppercut in MMA history.  He measured that shit, and delivered a fucking WMD on Frankie's chin.  Seriously, Frankie hit the ground like he got hit by a bus that he didn't see coming.  That was just a devastating shot.

• Like 1

That Edgar finish was brutal. Wow. Ortega is a cool dude, such a laid back guy in the octagon. The way he stepped back to get the leverage for the punch was almost Sagat-esque.

Cyborg is just the greatest as well, I don’t see who beats her, maybe ever. Just before the stoppage she caught Kunitskaya and the fear in Kunitskaya’s face was visible

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 1:01 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude if you keep coming into threads for events where Cyborg is fighting and keep doing this, I am going to have to get one of the admins to intervene. Just stop. We get it. 

Anyway:

Dana implies he could see Cyborg vs. Nunes on 224 instead of the bantamweight title fight in May. Cyborg wants Nunes in July, but obviously I don't see Nunes fighting in May and July. Got a sense that Cyborg could want a bigger purse for another quick turnaround.

My daughter wrestled 4 years in high school. Her Senior year she was Captain and the team won the State championship. One of the girls (we’ll call her Kelsey) on the team got all the way to the finals for state and had to face Mack Beggs. Mack Beggs identifies as male, and has been receiving Testosterone Replacement Therapy. By the time Kelsey fought her last year, Mack had been on TRT for 2 years, and was for all intents and purposes, a dude. Mack had an unbelievable strength advantage. Mack won easily, and it wasn’t competitive. This year, after 3 years of TRT, it was even worse. Mack had a mustache and was even stronger. UIL rules state you can only wrestle as whatever your birth certificate says. And, of course, if any girl was injecting testosterone into their body they’d be suspended for PEDs. But since she has a doctors note, they ruled that it was fine. How any of this is fair, I don’t know. 

Now, regarding Cyborg, I have no interest. It’s not fun to watch, it’s not competitive. Cyborg has an obvious advantage over every other woman out there, and her fights are not competitive. And she is a known cheater. 

So I don’t like Cyborg. And there are no competitive fights on the horizon. Nunes would be insane to take the fight. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

My daughter wrestled 4 years in high school. Her Senior year she was Captain and the team won the State championship. One of the girls (we’ll call her Kelsey) on the team got all the way to the finals for state and had to face Mack Beggs. Mack Beggs identifies as male, and has been receiving Testosterone Replacement Therapy. By the time Kelsey fought her last year, Mack had been on TRT for 2 years, and was for all intents and purposes, a dude. Mack had an unbelievable strength advantage. Mack won easily, and it wasn’t competitive. This year, after 3 years of TRT, it was even worse. Mack had a mustache and was even stronger. UIL rules state you can only wrestle as whatever your birth certificate says. And, of course, if any girl was injecting testosterone into their body they’d be suspended for PEDs. But since she has a doctors note, they ruled that it was fine. How any of this is fair, I don’t know. 

Now, regarding Cyborg, I have no interest. It’s not fun to watch, it’s not competitive. Cyborg has an obvious advantage over every other woman out there, and her fights are not competitive. And she is a known cheater. 

So I don’t like Cyborg. And there are no competitive fights on the horizon. Nunes would be insane to take the fight. 

If you have no interest, simply don't come into these threads. They are not for trolling. Take that somewhere else.