DVDVR Message Board

UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya (3/3/2018) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_222_Cyborg_vs._Kunitskaya_Poster.jpg

UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya 
March 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

UFC Women's Featherweight Championship: Cristiane Justino © (145) vs. Yana Kunitskaya (144) (second defense) - Justino, TKO (punches), R1 (3:25)
Frankie Edgar (146) vs. Brian Ortega (145.5) - Ortega, KO (punches), R1 (4:44)
Sean O'Malley (136) vs. Andre Soukhamthath (135.25) - O'Malley, DEC (unanimous)
Stefan Struve (266) vs. Andrei Arlovski (247.5) - Arlovski, DEC (unanimous)
Cat Zingano (135.5) vs. Ketlen Vieira (136) - Vieira, DEC (split)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Ashley Yoder (115.5) vs. Mackenzie Dern (116) - Dern, DEC (split)
Beneil Dariush (156) vs. Alexander Hernandez (155) - Hernandez, KO (punch), R1 (0:42)
John Dodson (134.5) vs. Pedro Munhoz (135) - Dodson, DEC (split)
C.B. Dollaway (185.5) vs. Hector Lombard (185.5) - Dollaway, DQ (strikes after the round ended), R1 (5:00)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Mike Pyle (170) vs. Zak Ottow (171) - Ottow, TKO (punches), R1 (2:34)
Bryan Caraway (135.5) vs. Cody Stamann (136) - Stamann, DEC (split)
Jordan Johnson (206) vs. Adam Milstead (205) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Alexander Hernandez
Performance of the Night: Brian Ortega
Fight of the Night: Sean O'Malley vs. Andre Soukhamthath

Attendance: 12,041
Gate: $1.367 million
Buyrate: 260,000

Cancelled Fights:
Max Holloway vs. Frankie Edgar - Injury to Holloway 
Bobby Green vs. Beneil Dariush - Injury to Green

Um, Kunitskaya is really pretty. I hope she's still really pretty come Sunday morning. That is all on that front. 

I hope this is the start of a big run for Dern but she's still got a lot of work to do and is far from a lock. I really like her aggression for a BJJ expert. I think that will help against all but the elite at 115. Yoder is scrappy so I expect a fun fight. 

Weird that O'Malley vs. Soukhamthath is third from the top on a show with a lot of recognizable names on the prelims. O'Malley did not look impressive in his debut and Soukhamthtath got a surprise win over Luke Sanders. 

I don't understand how Frankie Edgar ever fought at lightweight much less won the title being so small. Ortega looks huge for this weight class and will have a lot of size on Edgar. I may continue to overlook Edgar (seewhatididthere?) but I'm going Ortega all the way. 

Nothing super exciting but it looks fun from semi-main down really.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Um, Kunitskaya is really pretty. I hope she's still really pretty come Sunday morning. That is all on that front. 

I hope this is the start of a big run for Dern but she's still got a lot of work to do and is far from a lock. I really like her aggression for a BJJ expert. I think that will help against all but the elite at 115. Yoder is scrappy so I expect a fun fight. 

Weird that O'Malley vs. Soukhamthath is third from the top on a show with a lot of recognizable names on the prelims. O'Malley did not look impressive in his debut and Soukhamthtath got a surprise win over Luke Sanders. 

I don't understand how Frankie Edgar ever fought at lightweight much less won the title being so small. Ortega looks huge for this weight class and will have a lot of size on Edgar. I may continue to overlook Edgar (seewhatididthere?) but I'm going Ortega all the way. 

Nothing super exciting but it looks fun from semi-main down really.

They REALLY REALLY want O'Malley to be a star and Soukhamthath was losing the Sanders fight before Luke Sanders let another fight slip out of his hands. I mean Soukhamthath is probably more talented than Terrion Ware and I'm pretty sure more talented than anyone O'Malley fought on the Contender series. It kinda makes sense because Soukhamthath has underperformed as a prospect in the UFC after the buzz he gained in CES and pulled the Luke Sanders win out of his ass. However, at the same time, he is still a decent prospect and can still tip the O'Malley apple cart over. Worst case scenario, Soukhamthath turns his UFC career around and they can place a tiny wager on him going forward.

Kunitskaya's biggest win was a decision over Tonya Evinger, meanwhile Cyborg has put down some of the most elite fighters in her weight class and the most suspect hole in her game (cardio) was plugged when she tenderized Holly Holm face like a sirloin steak for five fucking rounds.

I think that Yana is a better fighter than most people think she is, but Cyborg is the kind of threat she's never faced before.

I'm not even sure that this thing will go the distance.  I believe that Cyborg will touch Yana enough on the nose with her jab to make Kunistkaya gun shy and then Cyborg will move in to finish.

The only thing that would make me believe that Kunitskaya had a ghost of a chance was if the MMA news feeds start reporting that Cris is having trouble with cutting weight, which hasn't really been that much of an issue since Cris moved to this tailor made weight class for big gals.

50 minutes ago, kenyabaxterZXW said:

I fully support the clickbaitification of Cat Zingano.

28 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:
All the main event and co main participants made weight. Ketlen Vieira came in at 136.25 but she has an hour to shave off that last .25.

She should be able to sweat that off and have time to re-hydrate before the fight, but no one wants to have to deal with the stress of not making weight the first time around.

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

Did she blame the USADA again for missing weight on the first go?

Maybe her Hotel had no hot water or her scale was fixed and gave her the wrong weight. Simply she could be waiting to use her excuses after the Cat fight and blame USADA for her loss as a scapegoat. 

I had a feeling Stamann would win this fight. Stamann had too much momentum and looked good against Duquesnoy, and Caraway just too much time out of the Octagon plus dealing with personal issues.

• Like 1