DVDVR Message Board

New Japan Cup 2018 (March 9th through March 21st)

Jiji

Ha, yeah, I thought that was curious too. Either Charlton didn’t translate that bit, or more likely, Tana pulled the old high school debate trick where you address Issue B to avoid Issue A, so you can then broadly say you’ve addressed everything. But then it’s his podcast, not a press conference, so I don’t know. Really wish I did, though, because everything I hear about his books and podcast makes him sound like one of the rare greats who is also great at breaking down their craft.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Nakamura's translated biographies do well and Tanahashi's gets the same treatment. He's brutally honest about both himself and his peers on top of being very bright, so I imagine his book is a great read for those reasons. He was also coming up at the tail end of the golden age, endured the horrible decline and was the main reason for their reemergence. Fascinating figure who, right now anyway, feels like he's not being as respected as much as he should be because of Okada's legendary run. I think it would be a minor tragedy if Tanahashi doesn't get that title challenge before Okada breaks his record. It's too perfect a melodrama for New Japan to miss.

• Like 2

Seeming as there is a lot of talk about who is winning in here and the Anniversary thread, I went ahead and made a bracket prediction contest.

Predict away! Let me know if there are any errors or problems, please. I've got it set-up so it should allow you to make predictions even after the tournament begins but you'll be entered into the "late predictions" list.

I feel I will get all but maybe one or two results wrong.

will enter in a day or so. NJ Cup is always good at having a lower-mid beat top guys and it killing neither of them, I can still see Tanahashi's face after Yano pinned him in the first round of 2015. Tanahashi won the G1 and main evented the Dome.

I think I'd like to see a surprise though, take a chance, even if it fails. Or if it's a predictable winner, then you may as well let the world be reminded that Yujiro exists and that Fale is a monster and - all politics aside - that Elgin is capable of good things here.

Yep, I almost strictly went with favourites leading to a Kota/Tanahashi finals that we will not see. It's what I want to see though, dammit.

Juice, Ishii (less of a surprise), and ZSJ are underdogs that I could see pulling it off. Okada's 11th defence should be a big deal though and it's in Sumo Hall, therefore it probably won't be Juice or Zack. Ishii's probably the "low bar" name that they'd run with I think. With all of the quick sellouts they've been getting, they may feel like they can fill Sumo Hall with a lesser name at this stage.

Having no idea what will happen, I went all in on heart-over-head: Ishii/Tana on one side, recalling their star-making G1 bout, and both guys would be great for a title shot; Ibushi/SANADA having an even more handsome battle on the other side, fighting to take that next step rather than the veteran narrative on the other side; Ishii over Ibushi in the finals, thus getting his shot at Okada, finally. Tanahashi can have the next defense.

I'm gonna be wrong, but.

• Like 1

I picked Tana/SANADA for the finals, and Tana winning it (my semis are the same as Beech). At this point it seems like he has to be challenging Okada soon just because of who he is and where Okada's reign is. That said I will be thrilled for Tachi when he beats Tana in the first round.

Man, I would usually think that the Yujiro/Juice match relied too much on nearfalls for drama but fuck that for two reasons. First, Juice's selling is top notch and there are not many better than him at playing fiery babyface fighting from underneath. Second, it actually shows character progression in that Juice would've succumbed to at least PIMP JUICE~ if not Tokyo Pimps previously. I would be all on board for Juice to overtake Elgin as the top gaijin babyface that isn't Kenny Omega. Just about as good of a 2018 Yujiro match they could've had. And that backdrop over the guardrail onto the chairs?! Nasty. As were the fisherman's buster and super fisherman's buster. BACK BLOOD. Match completely over-delivered.

I don't enjoy watching Michael Elgin wrestle anymore. :/

I've skipped ahead to the cup matches but I just saw that Chuck was doing English commentary so I will have to go back and watch the undercard with the English feed. Holy shit, Chuck Taylor commentating in New Japan! 2018 is fabulous and weird and terrible all at the same time. This is more of the first two.

Elgin is a dangerous idiot. He's either slapping his thigh like he's in Hello Dolly or he's dropping you on your head from ten feet. Ishii gets you over by selling hard for you, it's how he survived in the biz, but Elgin is just like NOPE GOTTA GET MY SHIT IN, hated it, DUD. 

Juice v Yujiro a lovely surprise and great to see Ace up and about. 

• Like 1

Ishii is lucky he has no neck, otherwise he would've broken it last night.

And because it can't be said enough: Fuck Michael Elgin.  Not for dropping Ishii on his head on that avalanche Splash Mountain, but because he still had like five minutes of head drops planned AFTER the avalanche Splash Mountain.  When Ishii kicked out, I thought, well, Ishii is going over so they'll probably go to the finish quickly.  But nah.  Elgin was going over and he had like two buckle bombs, a half nelson suplex, and a burning hammer left to get to.

I'm sure Ishii's crazy ass was saying he could continue, but come on, man.

• Like 1

Ishii/Elgin was one of the dumbest matches I've ever seen. Two things NJPW way overdoes are super-dangerous convoluted headdrops for nearfalls and fighting-spirit you-hit-me-I-hit-you sequences. It's like these guys decided that the best kind of match would be one where nothing else happens for thirty minutes. And as much as we all hate Elgin and love Ishii, I'd say Ishii is just as much to blame if not more.

And while I'm piling on Ishii: doing a delayed vertical suplex in every  match when your finisher is a brainbuster is extremely stupid.

The awesome: I'm 2-0 in my predictions.

The good: Juice/Yujiro was better than it had any right to be. I still don't want to see Yujiro singles matches, but I have to give credit - he is now a bit better than years ago when he was actually pushed as singles guy. Tanahashi looked great and I'm pumped for Tanahashi/Taichi today. Idea of Taka being Zack's Gedo is really good, I think.

The bad: Poor Yoshi-Hashi doesn't even get to pin Chase Owens in his build up match. If Ibushi defeats him (and he probably will) then Yoshi-Hashi will become official pin-eater for Chaos.

The shit: I like Elgin and I can enjoy his work despite him being shit person and I love Ishii, but damn that match was boring even before that head drop happened. And yeah, I'm not sure how anyone can justify going for extra few minutes after that botch, Elgin should have hit Burning Hammer immediately after and closed the match. Its just weird, I like both guys and they have delivered some of my favourite NJPW matches last year, but this just didn't work for me on any level.