DVDVR Message Board

2018 LUCHA UNDERGROUND THREAD

RIPPA

I can kind of justify it.  While Marty did pretty much nothing after getting his hair cut the scene with Mariposa talking sense into him established this new intensity in him.  And buying his way into the GotG title shot means he didn't have to work his way up to that shot.  It's lost on the crowd to a degree but for the home viewers it worked for me.  If you're comparing him to Cuerno then yes Marty's win is out of left field.  But watching the season so far you could tell he was going to go for it soon anyway, might as well weasel his way in.

And while the first few episodes felt very odd I've been getting into these past couple episodes.  They might have finally found their groove.  And I can't wait to see Rabbit Tribe 2.0 wreck havoc on everybody, that scene was so damn good.

Marty is the second weakest champ in company history, and while he's decent in the ring, he's not good enough to make anyone buy into him as a top guy just because he's "so much more aggressive now." /michaelcole

Like who is really looking forward (insert top LU guy) vs. Marty the Moth? They could've run the exact same angle with King Cuerno or the new Fenix and been way better off. I'd even include Killshot, except then Son of Havoc would be in a serious LU title feud.

The thing that helps Marty you know Chelsea Green and maybe Mariposa will get involved plus he will use his money to influence the rules in favor from Antonio. So it's not Sexy Star beating Mil by herself. 

18 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I can kind of justify it.  While Marty did pretty much nothing after getting his hair cut the scene with Mariposa talking sense into him established this new intensity in him.  And buying his way into the GotG title shot means he didn't have to work his way up to that shot.  It's lost on the crowd to a degree but for the home viewers it worked for me.  If you're comparing him to Cuerno then yes Marty's win is out of left field.  But watching the season so far you could tell he was going to go for it soon anyway, might as well weasel his way in.

And while the first few episodes felt very odd I've been getting into these past couple episodes.  They might have finally found their groove.  And I can't wait to see Rabbit Tribe 2.0 wreck havoc on everybody, that scene was so damn good.

I checked the episodes previews earlier on the DVR Episode 17 we should get London/Kross & El Bunny in Trios action which should be great. 

• Thanks 1

My lands was this a supreme piece of wrestlecrap. Matanza does almost nothing to make Jack Evans vanish into thin air, while watched over by an actor with a ridiculous costume job. There is a horrible trios match involving two women, a little person, an aggressively gay black man, and a hetero pervert visually approximating a '70s Honcho centerfold that refuses to bump, which then involves a second little person and two people ostensibly on acid. Then there is a fucking NUNCHUCKS HANDICAP MATCH between two luchadors and a washout WWE guy with an awful haircut, including Striker referring to nunchucks as "chain sticks". CHAIN STICKS. Aaaaaaand we wrap it up with a four way between some of the best guys in the promotion that ends up involving a ring announcer and a zombie wrestler and a Mack run-in and Azteca nuking his legs on the announce table. 

Lucha Underground is something else. "Rest in peace, mothafucka!"

So I think the weakest part of this season is the lack of backstage segments which really set LU apart. The in ring stuff doesn't really do that great of a job of storytelling by itself so everything seems lacking.

I did think the main event did an ok job of setting up matches for Ultima Lucha 4 but I just don't feel as invested this year.

• Like 1

How many more episodes are left this season? It sounds like UL 4 is coming up soon.

I hope the new Rabbit Tribe wins the belts and gets a new opponent for UL 4. We need a some trios with chemistry, that match this week was one of LU's worst.

I kind of prefer that schedule.  Having two hour shows, even in two parts, felt like a bigger deal to me.  Not sure why but when they just had four regular length episodes it lost that special vibe to me.  But glad to see they're going back to that.

It was weird last night had both introductions for people like The White Rabbit & Rekulsa, and also the official announcement that the season's coming to an end soon. They were good introductions coming with an advisory we won't have time to see much of them.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:07 PM, Tromatagon said:

If I had to name the season I'd call it "lost that special vibe"

I'd go with "Benefits for Friends" considering all the random appearences.
Really just sick and tired of all the excuses by people who work for the company & members of the crowd who claim to be fans but are clearly in bed with the company. We're in season 4. If you couldn't get the visa situation sorted out with a year notice, that's on you. Don't use it as an excuse as to why there are so few Mexicans around. And what does that have to do with why you have Jack Swagger squash the two Mexicans who do happy to be around? The Antonio Cueto idea is a joke. The wrestling has been de-emphasized to the point it's background for all the wacky angles instead of the wacky angles being used to build up the great matches.
The rating that came out yesterday was funny. This season is a trainwreck. Cool concept for a show that had potential but was mismanaged from day one. This season has been the ultimate example of people in charge just giving up and amusing themselves. It's been hard to watch... when I get around to watching since it's now not even close to must watch viewing until days later when it's on in background. Can't even fathom MGM sinking more money into this for another season.

• Like 1

Reading that it's almost heartbreaking because it was such a fucking cool show.  They did such an amazing job building up to big events and fucking hell if the first Ultima Lucha wasn't the coolest thing I saw that year.  Now there's pretty much zero interest and the people I know that were into it have been done with it a while ago.  It's just sad and makes me wish season 4 didn't happen.

Unexpectedly awesome main event match there in Pentagon/Reklusa. Didn't expect much when I saw that was coming up next but thought it was the best she's ever looked. Lots of crazy spots throughout, super fun match that was way more back and forth than I would've imagined.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Unexpectedly awesome main event match there in Pentagon/Reklusa. Didn't expect much when I saw that was coming up next but thought it was the best she's ever looked. 

I agree. I enjoyed her character work as LVE and some of her indy work but this almost felt like she was a completely different wrestler. Good main event and great showing from her. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Boy, you want to talk about bad taste, Ricky Mundo putting Beautiful Brenda in the Cripper Crossface is it. 

Of course, right after that they tease breaking Reklusa's arm before teasing piledriving her into a pile of thumbtacks. At least she's a wrestler, I guess.

You know, reading that without having seen it yet maybe it's best LU does end after this season.

11 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

El Rey is airing the first episode of Ultima Lucha on Halloween.

They can suck my dick.

Unless it's the Cero Miedo match and it's all kinds of gory then this will end up being something to watch on the weekend.  But airing this on Halloween is a dumb move.

Striker and Vampiro were both fucking up on pronouncing things this episode. I don't expect them to be good announcers but I would at least expect them to know how to say "discombobulate".

Is there gonna be blood in the mask match? Does the death match have any gimmick besides being no DQ? How is it any different than the Cero Miedo match, except we know the latter is gonna have thumbtacks and fire?

BTW, cheers to them carrying on the longstanding lucha tradition of scoring a Modelo sponsorship. 

EDIT: Hey, Johnny bladed. Maybe there'll be blood in that match too. Apparently Matanza's mask is a welding mask? Ooooookay...

• Like 1