DVDVR Message Board

2018 LUCHA UNDERGROUND THREAD

RIPPA

• 1 month later...

I am assuming she isn't the only one having this problem.

Of course why you would believe anything in wrestling without getting it in writing is a different question

This follows Shane Strickland/Killshot announcing he was a free agent early this morning, meaning his LU deal was done. LU was obviously willing to grant releases and write people out in this past season (Cobb is another one), so it is a little strange neither seems to have happened to Ivelisse. 

I still don't think this getting renewed - I don't think there's even much of a chance of it getting renewed, and the people making these decisions (who probably aren't most of the people who publically talk about the company) are just wasting people's time by pretending it's coming back. But, on the odd chance it does, the LU writers talking about how they saw Season 5 as the end of the stories they've been telling since season 1 had solid grasp of the big picture. Anyone who has a hope to do something else is going to be asking for their release as soon the machine starts moving again (or probably already has asked for their release.) Any Season 5 would either need to write out a dozen+ people, or just finish the show as we've known it. Even in the best (?) case, there's not much left of LU.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

And they should since it's 100% accurate.  TV shows work on season by season budgets. There's nobody budgeted to do any of this.  The LLC is supposed to handle this shit for that reason.  They really only seem to want to do shit when Dorian wants to fuck with someone he doesn't like.

UGHHHHHHHHHH on all counts.

This is where I was with the Hernandez thing.  I like people on both sides of the bullshit to it's shitty for everyone.

I fucking love DJ and Roach and EVW.  I also fucking love a lot of the talent involved.  Fantasma has been really good to my friends and has always been super cool to me as well.  Mel/Cobra Moon/Thunder Rosa is one of the nicest people I've ever met in the business and I wish her well in this.  Joey is a good dude.  I don't think a LU contract is what's keeping Ivie from being booked but hey man, I don't know her at all or what she has going on she just pissed off one of my favorite wrestlers and made him quit the company.

This is going to kill the show and I had Jack Swagger as champion in the pool

I think their dwindling viewership is what killed the show. The booking fell off a cliff halfway through season 2 and kept descending. Season one is some of my favourite wrestling ever. Ultima Lucha I is probably my favourite show ever. And they kept making stupid decisions. Show should've ended with Muertes on his throne, man.

These ludicrous contracts eroded any good will they built up though. 

Related image

• Like 1

If Lucha Underground was only dealing with either reduced goodwill after a lackluster season OR a few disgruntled roster members, they could maybe over come it.

But the two of those together is one hell of a double whammy. Even if by some miracle they end up getting another season, they would probably have trouble even filling seats for the tapings at this point. 

It was telling when The Elite made their Bar Wrestling appearance a few weeks back, and when Joey Ryan mentioned that he was still under contract to Lucha Underground the entire room booed vociferously. It was especially telling since it was (a) a Los Angeles crowd and (b) most likely full of folks that passionately watched LU at the peak and probably went to some of those tapings. 

Oh man that post by clint is sad. I always think back to WrestleCon 2016 & 2017 where the LU guys were the most over (except the Hardyz) & we had to basically beg them to consider doing a show which would have easily been super successful only for them to back down each year. It's understandable though since the entire concept of LU seemed to be how to not make actual money. (Anyone remember the lame fair shows which used talent not even in LU at the time like Garza Jr.?)

Shitty situation. Happy some wrestlers took action, just wish it didn't have to come to this. I truly believe LU was never going to return but I was kinda hoping we could string it along long enough for Vamp to keep insisting it was and making himself look progressively dumber each passing interview. But something like this will surely be the nail in the coffin.

The day it's officially cancelled I'll re-watch seasons 1 & 2 which, in my humble opinion, were the best wrestling TV shows since the original ECW was around.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

If Lucha Underground was only dealing with either reduced goodwill after a lackluster season OR a few disgruntled roster members, they could maybe over come it.

But the two of those together is one hell of a double whammy. Even if by some miracle they end up getting another season, they would probably have trouble even filling seats for the tapings at this point. 

It was telling when The Elite made their Bar Wrestling appearance a few weeks back, and when Joey Ryan mentioned that he was still under contract to Lucha Underground the entire room booed vociferously. It was especially telling since it was (a) a Los Angeles crowd and (b) most likely full of folks that passionately watched LU at the peak and probably went to some of those tapings. 

We did the same thing at the first NJPW special in Long Beach, when Ricochet said LU was keeping him from doing the show.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, Tromatagon said:

UGHHHHHHHHHH on all counts.

This is where I was with the Hernandez thing.  I like people on both sides of the bullshit to it's shitty for everyone.

I fucking love DJ and Roach and EVW.  I also fucking love a lot of the talent involved.  Fantasma has been really good to my friends and has always been super cool to me as well.  Mel/Cobra Moon/Thunder Rosa is one of the nicest people I've ever met in the business and I wish her well in this.  Joey is a good dude.  I don't think a LU contract is what's keeping Ivie from being booked but hey man, I don't know her at all or what she has going on she just pissed off one of my favorite wrestlers and made him quit the company.

This is going to kill the show and I had Jack Swagger as champion in the pool

If this has already been covered elsewhere, I apologize for asking, but what's the story here?

She had an argument backstage with Jack Evans that pissed him off so much he quit.  He was having issues with her about a match and she played the "it's because I'm a girl!" card and he wasn't having that shit.

He told the whole story on Twitter, Jack doesn't give a fuck.

• 2 weeks later...

If Chris DeJospeh recent drunk tweeting is any sign of things... this thing is DOA. Which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I hope we're at the point now where people can speak open & honestly on their version of the truth behind LU. Because once we have many versions we can piece together the actual truth.

• 1 month later...