DVDVR Message Board

2018 LUCHA UNDERGROUND THREAD

RIPPA

Bittersweet. Tonight is the final Lucha Underground episode ever (IMO). Seasons 1 & 2 were my favorite TV wrestling shows since ECW 1997. How we ended up with what the show is this season is beyond me. Fascinated to see how they decide to go out & who the inevitable blame gets passed onto when people do post-show interviews.

I'm a little bummed out about it also but would have felt much better about it if they stopped at season 2.  It was always to me a series that happened to have wrestling.  Unless they were able to lock in the long-term arcs and the people/places needed to pull it off then there was little chance at season 3 living up to the awesomeness of the first two.

I feel like I still liked about half of season 3.

This not so much.

If you really want to get into it, @thecubsfandid a really thoughtful, well thought out post that also kind of recaps the latest MMMShow that I wasn't a part of (I was in class when they recorded) where EVW and Chris Roach come on.  The tone is a lot less optimistic this time.

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/2018/11/07/lucha-underground-season-4-finale-tonight-will-it-be-the-series-finale/

I don't know what to think because I've been cut off from the inside nature of this season quite a bit.  I feel super detached and haven't even watched most of the episodes because they start bugging me with some bullshit that pisses me off a few minutes in without fail I guess.

Still though, shit like this:

• There was an attempt to bring back Sexy Star this season. Sexy Star turned them down. Judging from how she’s doing a lot more wrestling lately, I’m guessing she’ll be back in Season 5 if the offer still stands.

makes me feel like they'll never fucking learn from any mistakes they've made and I'm kind of sick to pointing them out if they just fall on deaf ears.

Have you guys seen the bootleg Australian Lucha Underground on Amazon Prime Streaming?  It's called Underworld Wrestling and it steals so much shit and does not have the access to the level of performer that LU has/had but I can't stop watching it (they put up new episodes each week I think).  If Lucha Underground is Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Underworld Wrestling is Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills.

• Like 2

So the possible last episode of Lucha Underground has Jack Swagger as champion and Bad News Barrett as the "boss" for lack of a better term.  And it looks like they have killed off both Pentagon and Matanza which they had to do anyway.  Well if it is going to die that is one way to do it.   At least they have something planned in case

Although Pentagon Jr vs Marty the Moth was a great bloodbath match.  

I caught the last match and the end only (waiting for the replay) but that was a hell of an ending if it was the absolute end. Barrett was good enough of a surprise, but then bringing back Dario from the fucking dead (with his response being "Aerostar? What the fuck?") was the cherry on top. 

TBH I'd rather they do a comic series to wrap it up if they can't afford another season. 

EDIT: I had the captioning on cause I was listening to Bulldozer (see personal pic) and read Vampiro saying Pentagon made it to where he couldn't walk -- then got in the ring. What a classic moment of Vampiro stupidity

• Like 1

The Hexagon Black trademark was so fucking dumb that I was hoping it was a joke bit or something.

And it's a pretty dumb choice for the role but funny given his actual history w/ Pentagon Jr. in AAA (aka repeatedly getting bitched out and it never leading to anything)

It was gonna be Bestia 666.  He's the guy at the end of the last season talking to Vampiro, and Bestia even worked dark against Penta at one of the season 3 tapings near the end. I've heard rumors it didn't happen because he wanted to be himself and not some new masked character, but that was him with the skull head at the end of season 3.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

It was gonna be Bestia 666.  He's the guy at the end of the last season talking to Vampiro, and Bestia even worked dark against Penta at one of the season 3 tapings near the end. I've heard rumors it didn't happen because he wanted to be himself and not some new masked character, but that was him with the skull head at the end of season 3.

It was definitely about the role. Found it amusing that Hexagon is supposed to be Vampiro's mentor and Vampiro's the one directing Hexagon to leave when Strong comes out. Vamp can't help being Vamp.

30 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You had those made?! Maybe I shouldn't ask you to watch then...

we sold them as podcast merch, but Justin and Jim actually made bootleg ones to wear to the shows since the official shirts wouldn't be ready in time.

It was basically "Everyone just keeps asking us 'Where's Casey?' every time they see us"

"We should make it a shirt do it like the Where's Izzy sign"

and they didn't but they made it a shirt.

Well in that case, you still might find some closure with this one. Starts with a decent spotfest into corny death match, into a Matanza match, into an absolute bloodfest. Martinez (what does he usually work under, btw?) deserves a medal for delivering a pint to the cause. The constant shocked looks on the folks in the crowd are great too. 

As much as I hate the Canadian Destroyer that one on the floor though, boy. It makes up for the barbed wire baseball bat with no barbs. Almost.

I thought this show was a blast. All four matches delivered and the ending montage was wild as we've come to expect. Loved the Barrett reveal as something unexpected and a great cliffhanger if there is a comeback, which that definitely had me hoping there is another season... the show can definitely still be a lot of fun.

The DVR didn't record the show but thankfully I only missed the first half hour (thank goodness for the replay)  From what I saw it was a darn good show to go out on.  I never saw Shaul before but seeing her do the Three Amigos tugged hard on the heart strings.  The matches were pretty darn good and holy fuck that Cero Miedo match was delightfully gory (Marty might have gone full Muta there)

My main complaint about the end of the show is the ending's fine if they know for sure there's another season.  In the past it was always a matter of not if but when.  But given what EVW's said about it in the link posted above I just don't see it happening.  And at this point I don't think I want to.  The season was full of questionable decisions and if they ended it with Pentagon winning the title then it would have ended on a high note.  If they knew for sure there'd be a good chance of season 5 then I could understand why they went all (according to EVW) "Return of the Jedi" at the end.  But the way it's looking I saw the series end on a very non-lucha guy win the title and the big bad is a British dude that unabashedly say his WWE catchphrase.  If this is the end then to me it's a shitty way for it to go out.

What would the hypothetical endgame be if there were to be another season?

Pentagon/Aerostar/Drago/reformed Fenix vs. Strong/Barrett/Hexagon (?)/Matanza's replacement in a Wargames style match?

I'd say Team Dario vs. Team Antonio, but I don't think they'd have the SFX budget to pull that off.

I would say Torneo cibernetico with 8 v 8 setup for the Title

Team Evil will be the 5 gods + 3:
Barrett
Strong
Taya
Hexagon
Mantaza replacement (Cage?)

Maybe 3 people controlled by a returning Catrina with a resurrected theme:
Fenix
Crane
+1 More

Team Good will be 7 reps of the tribe + Pentagon:
Pentagon
Deer Tribe (Cuerno)
Death Tribe (Mil)
Dragon Tribe (Azteca Jr)
Reptile Tribe (Mundo - after joining Kobra so he can free Taya)
Moth Tribe (Marty - the deal cut to get him on team good can be explored in S6)
Rabbit Tribe (White Rabbit - same as Marty)
Cat Tribe (New Prince Puma or Aerostar - future descendant of the tribe)

I didn't catch it, but they apparently said there were 7 Gods in that limo scene. So I think it'll be 7v7 (and a Cueto in each corner, somehow) instead 8v8 or more.

Mil is dead - at least to start the season - so I think Pentagon Dark slides into his Death Tribe spot. The LU people noted they specifically hadn't announced a tribe for him and Fenix, so they can be moved around. 

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently on one of the episodes I wasn't on we were told it isn't a skull and it isn't the death tribe, but it's the owl tribe.  This sounds horrible.

We kind of talked a lot of shit on the last MMMShow episode and Justin said he thinks there's a 95% chance of the show never coming back and I think everyone is mad at us.

I also had a pretty good joke about since they're making all the gods white people now that the Harris Bros are really the leaders of the snake tribe.  We thought they had SS tattoos, but if you put them together it's really a combined ssss tattoo THE SOUND SNAKES MAKE YOU GUYS