DVDVR Message Board

2018 LUCHA UNDERGROUND THREAD

RIPPA

I thought the season premiere was pretty good. Still can't believe El Jefe is gone. But I'm holding out hope that much like a soap opera, no one is ever really dead.

Seeing Hernandez on the show and being some random guy made me realize how much TNA really ruined his career.  It was nice to see Pentagon retain. Next week with him vs. Matanza should be good.

Was I the only one expecting Jack to be announced as Jake Stammer before Melissa was even able to finish introducing him? Jake Strong reminds me of some Fourth Rate Superman knockoff not even fit to tug on Captain Marvel's cape. Now there's an idea. They should've hired some dork like Ellsworth solely to get the shit kicked out of him every match, he crawls under the ring with soiled drawers and then moments later Jake Strong bursts through a hole in the middle of the ring like Strong is the Shazam to his Billy Batson. His singlet would also have to be soiled so you understand it's the same guy. They just can't afford that many canvases with the decreased budget. Otherwise making the audience sit there wouldn't have been as much of an issue considering that putting the ring back together couldn't possibly take longer than having to shoot enough material to piecemeal together a Sexy Star match fit for broadcast.

Shitty indies use an Incredible Hulk gimmick like that.

I disagree on Strong but don't think we will get anymore counterpoints since I think we are the only ones that watched this week here, sadly.   They lost 1/3 of the audience after the shitty first episode, which sucks.  This one was good.

While they had to completely reshoot Sexy Star matches because she was terrible, the ring would take longer.

Anyone who has been to a taping will tell you how fucking long it takes a TV production crew to work as a ring crew.  It was sooooo bad.

Better than the first episode, but still not terribly encouraging. Matanza looked like a jobber much like most of the Aztec warfare lineup. Swagger's debut was alright, but that new trios champ team sucks. The whole team only worked because of the Killshot/Fox dynamic. With Havoc, it's just 3 generic babyfaces with no chemistry. Honestly, Famous B's group should've won there.

I will say that the editing and pacing seemed more back on track this week. I'll definitely tune in for the "3 ways to the grave" match next week.

This is my first live-during-air LU since the second season so let's see what we got. 

- Good lord, Dario with a wig and a fake beard. That's the limit. 

- "Flaming turdcutters"?

- That's not Vampiro, it's Tom Arnold! 

- Xo Lishus is a perfect gimmick, especially for LU; it's about damn time we had a black exotico/a. I was expecting some voguing but the twerking was a suitable substitute. The toprope splits legdrop directly across Evans' throat is nice, the falsetto yipping not so much. 

- Cage comes out and puts Pentagon through a table. Boy does the new temple fit the crowd: tiny and sparse. It's like they took half the seating out of the old temple and lit it up in green. 

- Mil's irritation selling of Crane is nice, as are Crane's bumps on the casket. Crane appears to have broken the bottom rope on his low tope. Dunno what the deal is with the hammer but Ivelisse comes out and wears Crane out with one, takes out his knee, arm, hand and busts him open after the head of it comes off. Now we're back to Fenix/Mil again and Fenix hits another gusher after getting catapulted into the bottom turnbuckle (sans pad). Jesus fuck, Fenix gets suplexed headfirst into the casket -- and I mean Head. First. Of course he still tries a comeback before eating a flatliner off a dive and getting dumped in the box. Not a bad match but doesn't touch the other big garbage brawls they've done. More a house show version. 

- Dario throws Matanza a key and now he's UNLEASHED~! 

Fun episode. LU getting even more low-rent than before seems... fitting? 

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dunno what the deal is with the hammer but Ivelisse comes out and wears Crane out with one, takes out his knee, arm, hand and busts him open after the head of it comes off. 

At Ultima Lucha Tres after Ivelisse beat Catrina in a match built up since the 1st Ultima Lucha Crane took a hammer to Ivelisse' much injured Ankle. 

Episode three still feels a bit like a watered down version of LU, which may be just the norm now, but each week seems to be getting better. A fun exotico spotfest, Cage wreaking havoc, furthering the creepy doll deal with Ricky and the 3 way was a lot of fun. I really liked that Ivelisse just kept going when the prop hammer broke. Made it seem all the more savage rather than a botchamania moment. 

Sonny Kiss/XO Lishus  is not an exotico.  He's very particular about that (and so is the commentary team if you pay attention but that's the last thing I'd recommend anyone do).

He talked about it a lot on our podcast.  He's actually just a few views away from being our most watched episode on Youtube.

• Thanks 1

That wasn't what happened at all. They released Matanza's soul so that the human side would die and he would be a god fully inhabiting Matanza's body without the sliver of a soul that remained, contained within the key.

5 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Yeah Matanza Leveled up like Mil did in the 1st Season. This week the preview says he will Make a Sacrifice to the Gods. 

Can it be Matt Striker? 

• Like 2