DVDVR Message Board

Fastlane IV - 3/11/2018

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

In doing that, aren't you ending up with a bigger problem in who gives Rousey her first loss?

By the same logic - you can have Charlotte go over Asuka, and if Asuka is still getting reactions in a few months, redeem herself by handing Rousey her first loss? I feel like WWE would want the publicity that surrounds Rousey's first loss to display some sort of legitimacy (Asuka tapping her out) rather than some southern fried hokeyness the usual sports shows can beat them over the head with (Flair winning with a chop block, a handful of tights and feet on the rope).

The issue is that there really isn't a super interesting match between Asuka and Rousey w/o it being streak vs. streak which is also an easy WM main event. Besides that, in terms of the now Asuka is more interesting as Women's champ on SDL for next six months than Charlotte or anyone else currently on SDL is. SDL has a fresh crop of women Asuka hasn't faced before 1 on 1.

It's difficult because they've begun to tell a story in NXT about her hubris being her undoing, and nearly costing her matches. I feel like that ties in well to a nice call back to Flair/Vader with a fluke roll-up after being over confident, perhaps with Asuka destroying her after.

Problem being is I think that'll be the story they'll tell with Reigns/Lesnar.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

The thing is that story didn't transfer from NXT with Asuka so there is really no reason to call back to it now.

I also don't see them going that route with Roman/Brock.

To clarify earlier statement - I don't think the finish to Brock/Reigns will be as undefinitive as a surprise roll-up, I think we're definitely getting superman punch, spear, 1-2-3, but I think the story told will factor in Brock's hubris as it seems to in most of his matches. 

I think the story that they were telling at the end of her NXT run was that Moon was too much for her to beat clean. She cheated to win the first match, and cheated to survive during the second match (though the finish was clean.)

If they aren't going to save her streak for Rousey, I'd rather see Ember end it than Charlotte, but that's just me. But undefeated Asuka vs undefeated Ronda is the money match.

• Like 4

If you consider that Rousey (given the talk of her being a full timer) is probably going to follow the template of where Bryan vs Authority was going post-Mania, I could easily see them throwing Nia at her in the Kane role, building up to Asuka as Lesnar. 

I agree its the money match now, but five months of both of them exchanging awful promos is going to dent that severely.

4 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

If you consider that Rousey (given the talk of her being a full timer) is probably going to follow the template of where Bryan vs Authority was going post-Mania, I could easily see them throwing Nia at her in the Kane role, building up to Asuka as Lesnar. 

I agree its the money match now, but five months of both of them exchanging awful promos is going to dent that severely.

If they are smart, they don't have Asuka talk much. Ronda actually hasn't been that bad on RAW the last two weeks.

Couple reasons why Charlotte is a great opponent for Asuka.   The first being that we haven't seen it yet.  The second is because it's somewhat believable that WWE creative would put Charlotte over Asuka. So is that really a good thing?  That part of it is because of creative?  

Well whatever..  it should be a good match.  I think Asuka's reasoning might be because Charlotte is the only horsewoman she hasn't beaten.  

34 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The real money match is Queen of Strong Style Nikki Bella vs Asuka but everyone is afraid to say it.

I mean Asuka is the only woman to survive multiple Nikki Forearm Smashes in the same match. I'm not sure how compelling a Nikki/Asuka match would be if her death move barely registers to Asuka

Really liked the main event for it's fast pace, Cena hitting four Attitude Adjustments to start the match and then paying for it. Fun match.

Rusev vs. Nakamura was easily one of Nak's best main roster matches.

Charlotte vs. Riott had it's moments though I hated the kickoutt to the Riott kick early on.

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Charlotte vs. Riott had it's moments though I hated the kickoutt to the Riott kick early on.

I'm torn on that. I don't like seeing a finisher killed, but I also hate the Riott kick as a finisher. I'm too conditioned to not seeing better pele kicks/enziguris finish people off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm torn on that. I don't like seeing a finisher killed, but I also hate the Riott kick as a finisher. I'm too conditioned to not seeing better pele kicks/enziguris finish people off.

Hated the Riott Kick getting kicked out and so early. Riott Kick has gradually grown on me. You're right there's better versions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

If it wasn't the road to WM, would've loved to see Ruby go over, wouldn't mind revisiting this feud in the future.

If it wasn't the Road to Wrestlemania, Ruby going over would have been perfect and a nice change of pace. And I agree that I would like to see them feud again but with the alignments switched. Good match between the two.

I liked the women's tag too. Nice little solid match. 

• Like 2

Since not a lot of folks watched the kickoff show - apparently they are making something out of this

So we are going with Mojo not wanting to be a wrestler and threatening workplace violence on a female coworker. Okay dokey

• Like 2

The Shane-Bryan-Owens-Zayn story is brilliant because out of the three Bryan is the only one even close to a face, but is still doing ridiculous things.

Shane heeling on Zayn as Zayn heels on Owens after Owens tried to heel on Zayn is some abstract as Hell booking.

g. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

It's difficult because they've begun to tell a story in NXT about her hubris being her undoing, and nearly costing her matches. I feel like that ties in well to a nice call back to Flair/Vader with a fluke roll-up after being over confident, perhaps with Asuka destroying her after.

Problem being is I think that'll be the story they'll tell with Reigns/Lesnar.

IMO, the most efficient way to get the streak out of the way is to have Carmella cash in on Asuka while she’s down.  That way you keep Asuka from truly getting defeated while removing the specter of “Well, they won’t end the streak here” from her matches.

6 hours ago, Ace said:

I can't deal with AJ Styles' hair anymore. Between the ridiculous length and how goddamn shiny it was... I demand to know what conditioner he uses.

Smarks' Choice.

When did SDL regress back?

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Road Dogg.

Much as I think SDL has been kinda bad the past 6-12 months and would like to blame it on Road Dogg, I think RAW women's division has regressed at least as much SDL since Alexa started getting pushed to the top.  I'm kinda interested in the story RAW is telling with Alexa and Nia, but the match will probably be bad.

6 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The real money match is Queen of Strong Style Nikki Bella vs Asuka but everyone is afraid to say it.

I have no idea if you're being serious or not, but this would probably be a surprisingly good feud.  I felt like Nikki was underrated by the end of her run and has more hurty offense than the majority of WWE wrestlers.  I give her credit - she came up in an era when realistic-looking offense wasn't really stressed; and her status as Miss Cena probably meant she could have kept her spot without working to improve.

I really wish they'd push Becky Lynch as top babyface, but that seems unlikely to ever happen.

Show was surprisingly good.  Had low expectations, but matches were good.  Sami and KO as maybe=besties-who-don't-trust-each-other should be fun.  Pity Shane is somehow going to be cast as the babyface in the feud.

• Like 1