DVDVR Message Board

RAW IS THE LONGEST MATCH EVER (02/19/18)

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh and is Bàlor Club finished? The Good Brothers not showing up to chase off Miztourage makes no sense otherwise

I didn't watch but I know they were on Renee's pre-show deal on Instagram.

I only caught the last hour of Raw so I missed the gauntlet but, is Mandy Rose worse in-ring than Dana Brooke? Cuz she was just awful tonight.  Missing moves, blowing moves, missing tags, having to be told visibly what to do by Mickie James.  It was ugly. 

• Like 1

Seth indulged himself a bit, but athletic spectacle is part of why I enjoy wrestling—though not the biggest part—so yeah, some of the kick outs and moves might have been a little much for someone who was selling outright exhaustion just moments before, but... I honestly can’t be bothered. There’s a saying in ultramarathons that “it never always gets worse”, meaning that if you just keep going, sometimes you feel better for no reason—or at least you don’t feel worse—and you’re better off not trying to predict or understand it. Just survive and move forward. Especially in longer matches, I’m happy believing in something similar. Selling fatigue and damage in a totally linear fashion frankly makes less sense.

If Bálor Club is once again just merch for Finn, what a waste. I know the company is prone to inexplicable decisions at times, but they just did the DX moment, so I’m going to choose to believe there are plans. (Which is kinda stupid of me. But.)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Mandy is awful. On the mic, in the ring, just walking the ramp.

But she's goddamn good looking so they called her up, figuring Paige could do the bulk of the work, then Sonya. But shit happens.

By all accounts of those who saw her on NXT house shows she was usually rather good there. I can't think those accounts were total bs. Perhaps live tv is throwing her off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

By all accounts of those who saw her on NXT house shows she was usually rather good there. I can't think those accounts were total bs. Perhaps live tv is throwing her off.

Huh. Shrug

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Mandy is awful. On the mic, in the ring, just walking the ramp.

But she's goddamn good looking so they called her up, figuring Paige could do the bulk of the work, then Sonya. But shit happens.

RoseGold was fun on the Mixed Match Challenge though that could have been the aura of Goldust making everyone around him 100x better

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think technically the longest RAW match would have to be the Iron Man match between Triple H and Noob Saibot. 

This was amusing because Cole brought it up but it was like “the longest match was an Iron Man match where Triple H wrestled”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

I can.

Fiery babyface Rollins is ridiculously awesome and over with the crowd. Dude's one of the few current guys who's great as a face or heel. 

No, I mean I can't believe they did a two hour stretch of wrestling with no bullshit.

I mean, I also really disagree with the idea that Rollins is great, but that's beside the point.

• Like 2

I feel that if a wrestler has had enough good to great matches then eventually that means he's at least pretty darn good.  I tend to revisit the old Triple H arguments. Some have never come around on him but if you take a look at the resume,  how can you dispute it?  One argument people make is that he's had more opportunity but I don't buy it because a lot of the matches are laid out differently and are with different opponents. 

To get this back around to Seth Rollins, I feel he was generally the best guy in Shield matches. All of them had their role but Rollins was the workhorse. Then I point to John Cena where at one point Cena was injured and he was not having good matches week to week and out of nowhere he and Seth tore the house down I believe at a SummerSlam.  There's a lot of examples where houses have been torn down and the best performance was from Rollins. 

He's not my favorite.  I thought his run as champion was crap. I kept hoping for more but it was garbage. But there's too much from 2012 to now where I cannot say with a straight face he isn't good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I feel that if a wrestler has had enough good to great matches then eventually that means he's at least pretty darn good.  I tend to revisit the old Triple H arguments. Some have never come around on him but if you take a look at the resume,  how can you dispute it?  One argument people make is that he's had more opportunity but I don't buy it because a lot of the matches are laid out differently and are with different opponents. 

To get this back around to Seth Rollins, I feel he was generally the best guy in Shield matches. All of them had their role but Rollins was the workhorse. Then I point to John Cena where at one point Cena was injured and he was not having good matches week to week and out of nowhere he and Seth tore the house down I believe at a SummerSlam.  There's a lot of examples where houses have been torn down and the best performance was from Rollins. 

He's not my favorite.  I thought his run as champion was crap. I kept hoping for more but it was garbage. But there's too much from 2012 to now where I cannot say with a straight face he isn't good. 

He's excellent at specific elements of pro wrestling. I don't think there's any denying that. If he had one of those old Transformers stat sheets you needed the decoder thing for, he'd rate very high on cardio and execution. In 1988, to a very small minority of wrestling fans, that would have made him one of the best in the world. In 2018, it makes him one to the large majority of wrestling fans. 

Great Matches/Opportunity is another issue. Ideally, it's a ratio. What's his ratio of Great Matches/Main Events, or Great Matches/PPV matches, or Great Matches/Matches over 15 minutes? Now compare that to a peer, someone like Styles or Reigns (or Owens or Bray, sure). Where does he stand?