DVDVR Message Board

RAW IS THE LONGEST MATCH EVER (02/19/18)

RIPPA

I get all the thoughts about not having non-native speakers not cut lengthy promos but I don't think it's that huge a deal. I mean, in real sports non-English speakers give interviews and talk and it's not a thing. Is the idea that the presentation makes them look foolish or they lose an aura? 

I dunno, in 2018 I'm not sure the average wrestling fan is gonna be "she done talk all funny so I don't like her no more."

Of course, I wouldn't have her cut promos either but it wasn't that bad and, honestly, the more she does it the better she'll get. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2018 at 11:14 AM, Matt D said:

Great Matches/Opportunity is another issue. Ideally, it's a ratio. What's his ratio of Great Matches/Main Events, or Great Matches/PPV matches, or Great Matches/Matches over 15 minutes? Now compare that to a peer, someone like Styles or Reigns (or Owens or Bray, sure). Where does he stand?

I'd say:

Shield vs. Bryan/Kane/Ryback, TLC 2012. *****

Shield vs. Wyatt Family, Elimination Chamber 2014 *****

vs. Lesnar vs. Cena, Royal Rumble 2015 *****

vs. Lesnar vs. Reigns, WrestleMania XXXI *****

vs. Reigns vs. Ambrose, Battleground 2016.

W/Ambrose vs. The Bar, No Mercy 2017.

RAW Gauntlet match, February 2018.

A lot of Seth's best involve the Shield either with or against them. Certainly prefer to watch AJ Styles as he's the best wrestler in the WWE.

Great Gauntlet match making history for how long it went highlighted by Seth Rollins performances versus Roman Reigns and John Cena. He has chemistry with both and I'd say that was the best Cena vs. Rollins match and they've wrestled quite a lot.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:34 AM, Hagan said:

I get all the thoughts about not having non-native speakers not cut lengthy promos but I don't think it's that huge a deal. I mean, in real sports non-English speakers give interviews and talk and it's not a thing. Is the idea that the presentation makes them look foolish or they lose an aura? 

I dunno, in 2018 I'm not sure the average wrestling fan is gonna be "she done talk all funny so I don't like her no more."

Of course, I wouldn't have her cut promos either but it wasn't that bad and, honestly, the more she does it the better she'll get. 

For me it is all about her aura as a star being damaged. Right now fans buy her as a killer. They are behind her. They want to see her win. Watching her struggle through a promo, become lost trying to remember her lines, and have a look of fear/embarrassment on her face is not good. I don’t think this time will kill her momentum or anything but if it keeps happening and the fans become bored or as stated above start giving her the “what” treatment she will be in trouble.

Also felt bad for Renee who looked super uncomfortable. I imagine she wanted to throw Asuka a lifeline but they are so tightly scripted she was afraid to break from what was planned.