DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: July

Dolfan in NYC

so the Royals are teasing .500 again. Neat.

The last time they got to one under .500, they promptly lost 5 consecutive games. The last time they got to .500 (back in mid-June), they lost 4 consecutive games. They also had an streak where they dropped from 21-21 to 21-29. So as long as nobody tells them that they're close to .500, this should go well.

Also, Wade fucking Davis beat Chris Sale 1-0. So tomorrow is Bruce Chen v. Hector Santiago. Maybe the Royals can beat three lefties in a row, which would be nifty since Santiago allowed 3 hits in 8 innings last time he faced KC. Bring on the mayonaise sandwich Twins pitchers, i'm tired of KC facing left-handed starters

TRADE FOR ALL THE PROSPECTS~!!!

Chris Black actually has electric stuff and has a pretty decent shot at starting in the majors. Given what the Cubs coaching and training staff has been able to do with a bunch of dudes most people haven't heard of, as well as Scott Feldman and Shark, I think Black will rebound nicely. Or he won't and the Cubs save themselves a decent chunk of change.

The Steinbrenners overruling Cashman on this deal, as well as the Russell Martin and Ichiro deals, is fucking crazy. Congrats Steinbrenners, your outfield now consists of Soriano and Ichiro. Of course, the ultimate outcome I'm hoping for is Girardi saying FUCK ALL YOUS and then Dale Sveum can resume his regular duties as buddy of Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer who brings the keg and beer tap to parties, thus opening the door for Girardi.

You can also substitute Girardi for Scioscia or in a looooooong shot, Sandberg. Anyone [not shitty] but Sveum.

Any Pirates fans here? I'm not getting overly excited about anything this year until we make the playoffs.

I'm a lifelong Bucs fan. I've been guardedly optimistic through the first 100 games but at this point I think the sample size is large enough to relax and admit we have a pretty good team. As for the playoffs, I think this upcoming 5 game series (yes, FIVE game series) against the Cardinals will be the litmus test for how realistic their playoffs chances are. If they hold their own against St. Louis (say a 3-2 split either way), I think they'll maintain pace for the Wild Card while hanging around the division lead. If they get absolutely hammered, though, then we might be worried about yet another second half collapse (although I still think they'll break .500).

In any case, at least it's fun to follow baseball in Pittsburgh again even though this city's notorious bandwagon fans have started jumping aboard the wagon leading to 2 hours of asinine sports talk radio on my drive home. Nothing like hearing from people who started watching the team last year call in and be like, "If they don't trade Jameson Taillon and Gregor Polanco for Alex Rios, it's because Nutting is cheap and they don't want to win!!!"

I would seriously love for there to be a Rays-Pirates World Series, though. I'm 99.9% convinced if that were to come to pass, Fox would just show a tape of the 2009 Yanks-Phils Series and relegate this year's games to Fox Sports One.  

July 28th.

DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPION GIANTS WITH NEARLY THE SAME FUCKING TEAM AS LAST YEAR: 46-57, nine out, tied for last

Chicago Cubs, BLOWING SHIT UP AND THROWING SHIT AT THE WALL TO SEE WHAT STICKS: 47-55

New York Mets, NEARLY BANKRUPT AND ROLLING OUT A TEAM WITH THREE PLAYERS YOU'VE HEARD OF: 46-55

So the Cubs and Mets each have a better record than the defending champs...that's crazy. FWIW, all three need to sell. Pence getting traded for the third straight July would make me laugh and laugh some more. If the Mets hang on to Parnell, especially after seeing what K-Rod got the Brewers with him being a FA in three months, they're insane. And then the Cubs...I think all they have left that would be of interest to clubs is Navarro, who is so damn streaky that counting on him for more than a week is lunacy. Schierholtz and DeJesus are guys they have under control for next year too (via arb for Schierholtz, and an option for DeJesus), so rushing to push them out the door might not be an ideal situation. Gregg is also another guy that needs to find a new home. If only Scott Baker's return from TJ went smoothly, then the Cubs would have another nice piece to trade.

July 28th.

DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPION GIANTS WITH NEARLY THE SAME FUCKING TEAM AS LAST YEAR: 46-57, nine out, tied for last

Chicago Cubs, BLOWING SHIT UP AND THROWING SHIT AT THE WALL TO SEE WHAT STICKS: 47-55

New York Mets, NEARLY BANKRUPT AND ROLLING OUT A TEAM WITH THREE PLAYERS YOU'VE HEARD OF: 46-55

So the Cubs and Mets each have a better record than the defending champs...that's crazy. FWIW, all three need to sell. Pence getting traded for the third straight July would make me laugh and laugh some more. If the Mets hang on to Parnell, especially after seeing what K-Rod got the Brewers with him being a FA in three months, they're insane. And then the Cubs...I think all they have left that would be of interest to clubs is Navarro, who is so damn streaky that counting on him for more than a week is lunacy. Schierholtz and DeJesus are guys they have under control for next year too (via arb for Schierholtz, and an option for DeJesus), so rushing to push them out the door might not be an ideal situation. Gregg is also another guy that needs to find a new home. If only Scott Baker's return from TJ went smoothly, then the Cubs would have another nice piece to trade.

Pence would seemingly have to be a part of any sell trade the Giants make; who else do they have that they'd be willing to deal that would get enough to be worth trading?

Pence + one of the left handed relievers (since that's something a lot of teams "need") as the outgoing package.

It's been almost hilariously frustrating to watch this team -- which throughout this run has survived on a Thin Margin For Error -- suddenly lose that margin.  This year marked the first time in FOUR YEARS [and even that was the about to retire Randy Johnson] there was an injury to the starting rotation.  And whether it's age, injury, or simple regression, for whatever reason they've played consistently terrible defense since May.  They were never a team that could afford to have either happen.

So here they are.

Oh and the Dodgers have finally mobilized their resources effectively and are on the ascent.

But it's still a small price to pay for what I've gotten to enjoy the last three years.  Even if the window closes early this was all totally worth it.

oh yeah, the Royals are playing the White Sox, Twins, Mets, Twins, Red Sox, Marlins in their next 17 games leading into a 5 game series in Detroit. So hopefully they don't screw it up too badly.

And the Royals will be missing Harvey and Wheeler next weekend. So after today, they face Pelfrey, Correia, Diamond / Gee, Torres, Hefner / Correia, Diamond, Deduno in 9 consecutive games. Outside of Deduno, not exactly a lot of guys who are tough on paper.

Then again, I would favor Hector Santiago over Bruce Chen, because the Royals are starting 6 lefties against LHP Santiago because Cain left last night after hitting a wall and they want to give Sal Perez two offdays in a row. Even if the Sox 2 hitter today (Alexei) is 3 for 32 v. Chen and all

For a good team, the Tigers really cry a lot.

It looks like Cabrera and Leyland got tossed after Cabrera got 2 actual strikes with the bases loaded. Then they blew a bases loaded spot (Tui struckout and Prince popped up) and they lost Cabrera in the 3rd inning.

If there was any team in the Central on the level of Detroit, the Tigers might have some problems with sensitivity, but the Tigers win 90+ and get the division easily.

Well that was a good day

Jeter hits a home run

Soriano goes 4 for 5 with a home run, including the walk off single

And Hideki Matsui retired a Yankee

Tino Martinez has resigned as Marlins hitting coach after reportedly physically abusing (grabbing Dietrich by the neck/chain) and verbally abusing players. Naturally, he was Loria's hand picked choice for the job. WELP.

I'm a Bucs fan...and I'm going to the doubleheader Tuesday @ PNC, as I had mentioned earlier in the thread.

I

There is a special Christmas in July present about to be delivered just for you:

Posted Image

Merry Christmas, from tGoAtiGaRaB.

Now, resume your natural mediocrity and stop this nonsense about being successful and feeling good. 

There is an order to things, you know.

Oh good, I haven't had a chance to do this since the new board came up.

Tino Martinez has resigned as Marlins hitting coach after reportedly physically abusing (grabbing Dietrich by the neck/chain) and verbally abusing players. Naturally, he was Loria's hand picked choice for the job. WELP.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Well there goes any chance I have of sleeping tonight.

God Bless Kelvin

Anyway... I really love the White Sox being all GIVE US YOUR TOP PROSPECTS FOR JAKE PEAVEY AND WE AIN'T EATING ANY PART OF THE CONTRACT! DEAL WITH IT FUCKERS!!!!

• Like 1

July 28th.DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPION GIANTS WITH NEARLY THE SAME FUCKING TEAM AS LAST YEAR: 46-57, nine out, tied for lastChicago Cubs, BLOWING SHIT UP AND THROWING SHIT AT THE WALL TO SEE WHAT STICKS: 47-55New York Mets, NEARLY BANKRUPT AND ROLLING OUT A TEAM WITH THREE PLAYERS YOU'VE HEARD OF: 46-55So the Cubs and Mets each have a better record than the defending champs...that's crazy. FWIW, all three need to sell. Pence getting traded for the third straight July would make me laugh and laugh some more. If the Mets hang on to Parnell, especially after seeing what K-Rod got the Brewers with him being a FA in three months, they're insane. And then the Cubs...I think all they have left that would be of interest to clubs is Navarro, who is so damn streaky that counting on him for more than a week is lunacy. Schierholtz and DeJesus are guys they have under control for next year too (via arb for Schierholtz, and an option for DeJesus), so rushing to push them out the door might not be an ideal situation. Gregg is also another guy that needs to find a new home. If only Scott Baker's return from TJ went smoothly, then the Cubs would have another nice piece to trade.

Sadly, I think the time to trade Gregg came and went. His outings as closer have turned into an adventure as of late, except for today. I mean, they still could, but they'll probably wind up getting crap in return.I would hold onto Navarro just because it seems like he adds veteran experience and Wellington could use that experience to make himself a better catcher.

Well there goes any chance I have of sleeping tonight.

God Bless Kelvin

Anyway... I really love the White Sox being all GIVE US YOUR TOP PROSPECTS FOR JAKE PEAVEY AND WE AIN'T EATING ANY PART OF THE CONTRACT! DEAL WITH IT FUCKERS!!!!

or the White Sox trying to get more for Alexei Ramirez for some reason

heck, by now, shouldn't they think about renting Konerko out for a few months?

Hey, piranesi, do you like apples?

Nothing that happens in Atlanta matters unless it's the last day of the season, or the day after the last day of the season.

Our bats and legs are nice and rested now.

Mmmmhmm. Guard that.