DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: July

Dolfan in NYC

Watching the Nats just completely tank this season with some terrible hitting and decision making is so frustrating given how much the Braves aren't blowing the doors off either. if they won half of these games they would be back in the race.  Now they are going to fight for 3rd place.   When they fired Eckstein as the hitting coach they just crushed Davey and has looked lifeless since.

Davey apparently offered to resign too, so he clearly doesn't give a fuck in his last season. I still don't know what to make of Washington, but they might need to cut some payroll this winter...already at $81.6M (118M this year) with *ten* arb raises on the table, including Zimmermann, Desmond, and Strasburg. 

Via Posnanski

The league is hitting .184 against Clayton Kershaw this year.

3. The Reds’ Shin-Soo Choo and Joey Votto are both on pace to reach base more than 300 times this year.

The last team to have teammates reach base 300-plus times? The 1999 New York Yankees, with Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams. Before that, it was the 1997 Houston Astros with the Hall of Fame waiters Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. And before that you have to back to the 1930s.

4. Chris Davis is slugging .701 at the moment.

Only 35 players have slugged .700 in baseball history and a lot of them were named Ruth and Bonds. Nobody slugged .700 in a full season between 1956 (Mickey Mantle’s triple crown year; Ted Williams did it the next year in 98 games) and 1996 (Mark McGwire that year … Frank Thomas, Albert Belle and Jeff Bagwell all slugged .700 in 1994, the strike season).

Barry Bonds, in case you want to get angry, slugged .700 or better FOUR SEASON IN A ROW.

Babe Ruth, in case you want to be wowed, slugged .700 or better NINE TIMES IN 12 SEASONS.

5. Adam Wainwright has 137 strikeouts and 17 walks.

It’s not QUITE the insane strikeout-to-walk ratio he had a few weeks ago, but it’s still 8-to-1, which would rank as one of the 10 best ratios among starters in baseball history.

Let’s just say this: Adam Wainwright has had some tough luck when it comes to recognition in his career. The guy led the league in wins in 2009 with a sparkling 2.63 ERA and had the misfortune of coming up at a time when many of us realized how pointless the win statistic is -- he lost the Cy Young to 15-game winner Tim Lincecum (who I think had the better year, but go with me on this).

In 2010, Wainwright won 20 games, was second in ERA, pitched 230 innings … and lost the Cy Young to a fabulous season from Roy Halladay.

This year, he’s leading the league in wins, he has this preposterously good strikeout-to-walk ratio, he leads at the moment in starts, complete games, shutouts and innings pitched … and because the aforementioned Clayton Kershaw is having another season for the ages and Matt Harvey is basically doing a spine-chilling impersonation of Tom Seaver, Wainwright will probably not win the Cy Young Award again this year. Timing, it seems, is everything.

So Tim Hudson's career is probably over.  

This is from reddit, and NOT for the faint of heart.

Posted Image

Young for his part was 100% upset and classy about what happened:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Young for his part was 100% upset and classy about what happened:

Posted Image

Posted Image

LMAO. Like he was going to go all Ivan Drago on Hudson. IF HE DIES, HE DIES.

• Like 1

With the Jays being the Jays, I'm glad my home away from home (Pittsburgh) is smack dab in the middle of an amazing race. Next week's 5 game series against the Cards is gonna be HUGE. And I'm going to my first doubleheader on Tuesday...should be fun.

I

Yeah, that sucked. I mean shit happens so....it's just a shame it happened to Hudson. He was pitching pretty well and now the Braves starting rotation takes a pretty big hit.

Nah. Beachy was one or two starts away, so he'll slide into Hudson's spot. Wood started last night with Maholm banged up. These things always work themselves out...and sometimes, working themselves out involves a butchered grounder from Freddie Freeman and Tim Hudson planting his foot wrong on the back and Eric Young Jr stomping it like a stick.

The Alfonso Soriano to the Yanks deal is basically done - it is just waiting for Bud Selig's approval since the Cubs are paying such a large portion of the deal.

Soriano was scratched from last night's game and reportedly was on a red eye flight to NY.

The Cubs are getting a low level pitching prospect

The Alfonso Soriano to the Yanks deal is basically done - it is just waiting for Bud Selig's approval since the Cubs are paying such a large portion of the deal.

Soriano was scratched from last night's game and reportedly was on a red eye flight to NY.

The Cubs are getting a low level pitching prospect

Just to put a bow on this since the trade is official

- Yanks only have to pay $6.8 million of the remaining money on his contract (approximately $24.5 million)

- Cubs are getting pitcher Corey Black. BA has him as the Yanks 25th best prospect. NYY was using him as a starter and... yeah... this year wasn't too kind to him. Apparently Chicago plans to use him as a reliever.

With the Jays being the Jays, I'm glad my home away from home (Pittsburgh) is smack dab in the middle of an amazing race. Next week's 5 game series against the Cards is gonna be HUGE. And I'm going to my first doubleheader on Tuesday...should be fun.I

Pisses you off that even if the starting pitching was middle of the pack they would be right in the mix. Who'd have thought the Esmil Rogers trade would be ten times better than the Dickey and Marlins deals

With the Jays being the Jays, I'm glad my home away from home (Pittsburgh) is smack dab in the middle of an amazing race. Next week's 5 game series against the Cards is gonna be HUGE. And I'm going to my first doubleheader on Tuesday...should be fun.I

Pisses you off that even if the starting pitching was middle of the pack they would be right in the mix. Who'd have thought the Esmil Rogers trade would be ten times better than the Dickey and Marlins deals

Yan Gomes has a higher fWAR than Rogers and Arencibia combined. Not so fast my friend.

The Phillies (?!?!) win the Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez bidding...for 6/50. Largest contract ever given to a Cuban. Scouts vary on opinion, with a ceiling of a #3 and a floor as a long reliever.

The point remains: the Phillies could be in fourth in the division by Monday. Hell, THE METS could be tied for second by Monday. This is wacky. Meanwhile, the Braves just keep marching along at their own beat...

Speaking of the Washington disaster, Davey said yesterday that Storen wasn't going to pitch because he had the flu. Then he pitched in game one, got hammered, and demoted to AAA. And Clippard is pissed off about it. This is going so well.