DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: July

Dolfan in NYC

Matt Thornton got traded to the Red Sox. Of course, the White Sox deal him THREE OR FOUR YEARS TOO LATE, and his value is pretty much gone right now. All they got was a prospect who is a top 15, but not top ten, guy in Boston's system. Man...teams are fucking dumb for hanging on to middle relievers for too long.

The Astros just gave Altuve a steal of an extension: 4/12.5, with two club options that can push the deal to 6/25. He's the same age as Starlin Castro, and while Castro is clearly a better player, is he worth more than twice as much money over the same time period? 

1. Max Sherzer is still a beast, I don't care if he dropped one to the Rangers. 

2. I'm kinda surprised I'm not seeing Puig make the fan vote for the all star game.

I know Freeman's solid and all, but everyone has been going Puig crazy since he got called up and went yard.

Edited for spelling errors. Yes, baseball's gonna be veddy veddy go to Puig.

So, surely there has to be something up with Raul Ibanez being the best power hitter in Seattle.  Guys like Josh Hamilton, Justin Upton, etc, have turned down chances to get (over)paid to play in the PNW.  Yet, 41 year old Raul Ibanez has crushed 24 HR in half a season.  Shouldn't this prove to other power hitters that Safeco isn't necessarily a bad place to play?

After hearing about Lincecum's 148 pitches last night, I was doing some research to see what the most pitches thrown in a game were.  Turns out the stat wasn't actually tracked until about 1988 but there are sports historians who believe Nolan Ryan threw 240 pitches in a 13 inning game where he walked 10 and struck out 19.

Good article related to the subject here.

How awesome would it be if someone threw 240 pitches in today's game? ESPN would froth at the mouth for an hour until footage of Tim Tebow playing catch with Tom Brady at mini camp surfaced, and then we would never hear about it again. 

Lincecum's never had arm issues before and has thrown a bunch of pitches in plenty of games before. He'll be fine, especially with the All-Star Break acting as a good place to rest the arm.

If the Giants get back to .500, this is going to be one hell of a stretch run.

We have some Mets fans here, right?

Jordany Valdespin went down fighting.

According to a Mets source, the volatile utilityman, upon learning he had been demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas on Saturday, got into a confrontation with Terry Collins, during which he called the manager a “c--ksucker.”

The source said Valdespin, in the course of his heated exchange with Collins, also tried to invent an injury and demanded to be placed on the disabled list.