DVDVR Message Board

THE SUPERIOR LIVE VERSION THREAD

Lamp, broken circa 1988

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Deep Purple's studio albums are junk that sounds like it was recorded in a broom closet

I'll agree on that with Machine Head but In Rock is on fire. Burn and Stormbringer don't sound bad either; Fireball is just a trash album to me besides the title track so hey. I think they were before their time and the only way people knew how to nail their sound was live for the most part. The thing is the albums sound decent but then you listen to the live stuff... WOOF.

I think I am tainted with them because my first Deep Purple album as a teenager (and, in a sense, my introduction to the concept of live long-take prog rock as a concept) was Made In Japan and it probably set an unreasonable bar.

Those Constantines tracks are good. I really like that Hotline Operator one the best.

• Like 1

It was the reverse for me, I never listened to Made in Japan until about two or three years ago whilst having grown up on Machine Head and In Rock. I always thought "how can you drag out a song like "Smoke On the Water"" but when I finally listened I understood. And then that set me to damning myself for not grabbing the album the many, many times I had the opportunity to as a kid haha... and I still don't own a vinyl copy, sadly

On 2/24/2018 at 12:57 PM, Death From Above said:

I think I am tainted with them because my first Deep Purple album as a teenager (and, in a sense, my introduction to the concept of live long-take prog rock as a concept) was Made In Japan and it probably set an unreasonable bar.

Those Constantines tracks are good. I really like that Hotline Operator one the best.

Funny, I had a similar experience with 80s DP.  I heard "Perfect Strangers" as Shane Douglas's entrance theme, looked up what it was on the internet, and bought the album I could find that had it (the live NOBODY'S PERFECT) and fell in love.  THEN I bought KNOCKIN' ON YOUR BACK DOOR (the 80s greatest hits album) and was like "What the fuck is this shit?" (I had a similar response to "Life During Wartime" but in that case I'd owned STOP MAKING SENSE and SAND IN THE VASELINE for about a decade before hearing the studio version).

Here's maybe my all-time favorite;

"We Close Our Eyes" as an upbeat piece with a faux-calypso drumbeat and full production is pretty okay. Stripped down to emphasize accordion, drums and vox with the guitar and bass stripped to almost nothing and no keys, it's IMO breathtaking.

Edited by Cliff Hanger

As I've gotten older, I have grown into a deep appreciation of John Denver's music.  This song, though, I have always liked.  The studio version isn't even close to as good as the live:

Before they hit it big, Vertical Horizon released a live album where they jazzed up the songs from their first two albums to have more electric guitars and longer arrangements.  They wanted to show record companies they could deliver an electric sound and also to show the energy of their live shows.  It worked.  This particular song went from a 4-minute quiet acoustic piece to an amazing 12-minute masterpiece with multiple solos:

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

And then there's the guy whose career was basically MADE by his "Comes Alive" album:

Damn anthem for the late seventies. Wore out three copies. For the  record, I have never woken up with a wine glass in my hand. I have however, woken up with about a half-pint of mint flavored gin in hand. This song was playing in the living room so I did the only logical thing, ate a half hit of windowpane, about 8 meth tabs and chugged the booze down and I was ready for another round! How any of us survived the decade from 1975-1985 I'll never know...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Was reminded of this a few days ago. I think Talking Heads might be the Kings of Superior Live Versions

I have time stamped this for a particular song (Warning Sign), but really the whole show rules and is worth a listen. Talking Heads were pretty untouchable for a while there.

Fuck do I LOVE Mott The Hoople!

If you think after all these years on this board I'm not posting some JPop you haven't been paying attention...

and sweet crap do I love SHAKALABBITS!

James

I really, really wish I could post "Victim of Changes" off of Unleashed in the East on here but it's widely known to have too much studio tinkering to really count. Can anybody else think of any metal picks? Off the top of my head this is all I can think of. 

On 13/03/2018 at 11:42 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I really, really wish I could post "Victim of Changes" off of Unleashed in the East on here but it's widely known to have too much studio tinkering to really count. Can anybody else think of any metal picks? Off the top of my head this is all I can think of. 

Buckle up.

With the caveats that Gojira is a great live band and Toxic Garbage Island is one of my favorite songs they've produced... every time I want to listen to it, I fire up this version rather than the studio version.  It captures the energy of the song perfectly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Buckle up.

I will sincerely come back to that when watching 14 minutes of Frost will not give me yet another text message saying I owe another $15 to Verizon for going over my limit. In the meantime, everyone else should probably watch it

EDIT: And oh, just because it reminded me they actually played this live (well, no Martin Ain, but heeeeeeeyyyyyyy)

• Haha 1