DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 126: Cowboy vs. Medeiros (2/18/2018) - Austin, TX (Frank Erwin Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Austin_Cowboy_vs._Medeir

UFC Fight Night 126: Cowboy vs. Medeiros 
February 18, 2018
Austin, TX (Frank Erwin Center)

Donald Cerrone (169.5) vs. Yancy Medeiros (170.5) - Cerrone, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:58)
Derrick Lewis (264) vs. Marcin Tybura (247) - Lewis, KO (punches), R3 (2:48)
James Vick (155.5) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (156) - Vick, DEC (unanimous)
Thiago Alves (170.5) vs. Curtis Millender (171) - Millender, KO (knee), R2 (4:19)
Steven Peterson (145.5) vs. Brandon Davis (146) - Davis, DEC (unanimous)
Sage Northcutt (155.5) vs. Thibault Gouti (155.5) - Northcutt, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Jared Gordon (156) vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira (155.5) - Ferreira, KO (punches), R1 (1:58)
Brian Camozzi (171) vs. Geoffrey Neal (171) - Neal, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:48)
Roberto Sanchez (126) vs. Joby Sanchez (125) - R. Sanchez, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:50)
Sarah Moras (135.5) vs. Lucie Pudilová (134.5) -  Pudilová, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Alex Morono (170.5) vs. Josh Burkman (170.5) - Morono, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:12)
Oskar Piechota (185.5) vs. Tim Williams (185) - Piechota, KO (punches), R1 (1:54)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Curtis Millender
Performance of the Night: Derrick Lewis
Fight of the Night: Steven Peterson vs. Brandon Davis

Attendance: 10,502
Gate: $794,350
Rating: 893,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Tonya Evinger vs. Marion Reneau - Injury to Evinger
Ray Borg vs. Brandon Moreno - Bout Moved to Another Card
Steven Peterson vs. Humberto Bandenay - Bandenay Visa Issues
Livia Renata Souza vs. Jessica Aguilar - Injury to Souza (Broken Hand)

Fantastic last minute or so of the first round of Moras/Pudilova. Moras did a good job of top control with GnP, then the referee made a weird decision to stand them up and Pudilova melted her face in no time (Moras looks like an amateur on the feet), but Moras immediately went for about like 3 submissions from the bottom and nearly had an armbar. 

More of the same at the start of the second round.

I like Geoff Neal as a prospect. He probably needs to be brought along a little slower to help his skills develop and progress, but he has the power (and apparently solid submission grappling instincts) to beat a decent number of quality welterweights. 

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, rarely do you see a guy do a half-arsed wristlock while he pounds another human in the face. Interesting finish. Neal looked great too. Super prelims.

Didn't see Ferreira handcuff one arm and then blast out Gordon as he laid down on his stomach when I thought of what could happen in this fight. This fight was suppose to be a showcase for Gordon, but he basically got derailed by a former prospect who has his share of embarrassing losses and USADA troubles. Hell of a setback, but I guess good for the local contingent since Texas is Ferreira's second home.

Yeah, I get the idea of not awarding a round to a guy who just grapplefucks an opponent when the opponent outscores them on the feet, but he pretty soundly lost that third round and certainly lost the second.

Holy shit, this Millender dude is fucking awesome. He's like UFC's answer to MVP. Flash, crazy, unorthodox strikes with insane length. 

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Who has worse home cooking, Texas or Brazil, because Northcutt should have lost that fight.  I think that is the exact kind of test he needed, I just think he failed the test.

Gotta check who the judges were, but Texas can actually use judges from Texas. Most of the fights in Brazil are judged by Americans when it comes to UFC cards so it's not a case of home cooking. Plus, Texas has a history of egregious judging way more than Brazil. 

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This fight is one of the most Heavyweight MMA fights in Heavyweight MMA history. We even got a keylock attempt.

Thinking the exact same thing. Hilarious and awesome in the literal sense. 

• Like 1

That was an enjoyable night of fights from start to finish. Cerrone started to strike first and Medeiros couldn't withstand his power. 

Is it just me or is somebody higher up the rankings going to catch Vick when he leans into his combinations from the outside with his chin presented on a silver platter? He also got away with the terrible setup for his flying knee because he's starting it from outside punching distance and follows it up with 3 punches. If I'm seeing some holes in his game, I reckon a top 10 calibre fighter should be able to punish him.

57 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That was an enjoyable night of fights from start to finish. Cerrone started to strike first and Medeiros couldn't withstand his power. 

Is it just me or is somebody higher up the rankings going to catch Vick when he leans into his combinations from the outside with his chin presented on a silver platter? He also got away with the terrible setup for his flying knee because he's starting it from outside punching distance and follows it up with 3 punches. If I'm seeing some holes in his game, I reckon a top 10 calibre fighter should be able to punish him.

There is a reason why no Lightweight champ has been this tall guy who stands straight up.

I think Vick is talented but I think his ceiling is to be the upset the apple cart fighter at lightweight. I mean if this was boxing, he would already have a title. However, the thing is he would be used to build up the resume of someone who is definitely going to beat him. I think Top Rank did the perfect exact job with that recently with Terence Crawford. Julius Indongo beat a Russian fighter to win a piece of the junior lightweight crown in Russia and then beat Ricky Burns in the UK for another upset. Top Rank fed him to Terence Crawford just so Crawford could unify all the belts at 140. They're are probably going to do the same thing by feeding Ray Beltran (who beat a game Paulus Moses on Friday night for a vacant belt) to Vasyl Lomachenko so Lomachenko can go win a belt at 135.

Indongo and Beltran (you can also include Moses since he was there to put the house fighter Beltran over) fit the mold the same as Vick: very entertaining, tough as hell, awkward, and most importantly vulnerable.  Likely never going to be at the elite level. Yeah, Vick can beat a Jake Matthews or a Joe Duffy for an upset. You probably don't want him to fight a prospect you're invested in who might be in shaky in some way because bad nights are easy to come by in MMA. However, if you want someone to get a compelling win in a title eliminator or a #2 contender title eliminator for the person to fight for the belt after the #1 contender, you can do fairly worse than having that person fight James Vick. If he is legitimately that high caliber fighter you expect he is, there is no reason he can't do the same thing to Vick that Dariush did.

• Like 1