DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Honor Rising 2018

Beech27

Whut.da.hale? New Japan seems very blase about this whole thing, what with ROH getting the big singles match and the co-promoted smaller show getting the first Golden Lovers tag in years. I'm fucking all on board, baybeeeee. Last year's shows were a blast but this is going to be special.

Full cards for both nights. These shows are gonna be fantastic. Chase Owens is an honorary Golden Lover; Best Friends teaming with Knife Pervert; Beer City Bruiser(???) vs Goto; Heavyweight Trent vs Castle; Flip traveling the GLOBE... man.

FUCKING CHUCK IS IN THE HOUSE AGAIN! YESSSSS. That Friday match should rule. I kind of love the idea of Goto vs. BCB. What the fuck Chase Owens?! I guess we know who's taking the fall in that boy. The three-way with Flip will be crazy. Cheese Burger will still be the most over non-Omega/Kota guy on the card probably.

Night 2: Dalton vs. Long Boy will be really fucking good. The crowd loved Dalton last year and Trent is starting to become a really, really good singles guy (based more on PWG stuff than NJPW). That main event, boy. I cannot wait. Put me in stasis until then or some shit. Feelings are building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Whut.da.hale? New Japan seems very blase about this whole thing, what with ROH getting the big singles match and the co-promoted smaller show getting the first Golden Lovers tag in years. I'm fucking all on board, baybeeeee. Last year's shows were a blast but this is going to be special.

Cody is a headliner in ROH, but he's only a midcarder in NJPW.

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

Even his stablemates are calling him by his fan nickname now

Didn't he (or Chuckie) "invent" that Knife Pervert name in the first place?

As for the cards, looks weird that first Golden Lovers match is in Korakuen Hall for a joint show with RoH. I really thought that they'd do it on one of their bigger shows. This happening now and Omega/Cody happening at Supercard makes me feel like this thing is a bit rushed and they want it done by, probably, Dominion.

Overall I'm not a fan of RoH and most of the announced matches are meh for me. Would honestly have preferred if Jay/Page happened here and Jay got something better for SSE show.

I don’t recall who used it first, but Taylor’s “Knife Pervert vs Soccer Mom” tweet during WK was what caused the nickname to stick in my mind. So he gets the credit... blame... whichever.

(Edit: Googling around, and it looks like Trent actually started the nickname back in August, when Switchblade was just a video package mystery.)

Regarding Golden Lovers, there’s this:

The full video is a half hour, and (while they cover quite a bit besides) it sure sounds like their goal is to win the tag belts, and then make those a big deal. Kenny has to fight Cody before that, but it doesn't sound like he has any interest in winning Bullet Club over to his side. The Bucks, maybe, and Marty is still waffling on twitter, but Kenny seems moved on already. Still, I imagine we'll get an angle on one or both of these shows, demonstrating who aligns where. GOD and Fale are on that Night 2 card as well, after all, and now they even have their own travelogue/skit/sitcom youtube show.

He mentioned Young Bucks few times and that he values their friendship, but at the same time he said that he was always alone while he was in BC. So he either isn't very consistent here or he is just bidding his time till YBs decide who they'll support.

Frankly potential of one YB/Golden Lovers match far outweighs, for me at least, all their The Elite multlman tag matches that devolve into parody almost always. If we get something like 3 match series out of that? Even better.

And Golden Lovers vs Evil/Sanada sounds interesting too.

• Like 1

Yeah, absolutely wild shows here. Meltzer intimated that the Bucks/Cody/Omega got the okay from New Japan to pretty much book this angle on their own across New Japan/ROH/Being The Elite and the All In show so assume there's a lot of chapters left. I mean, if and when Omega departs for WWE you gotta think him vs  Ibushi at WK would be his end goal. 

My guess is that the reason why it's Cody and Marty is that Marty is obviously the kid stuck in the middle and for now he's going to choose Cody before he comes to his senses and goes to live with Kenny and Kota.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

My guess is that the reason why it's Cody and Marty is that Marty is obviously the kid stuck in the middle and for now he's going to choose Cody before he comes to his senses and goes to live with Kenny and Kota.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kenny talking as just a regular dude and not the overly theatrical, anime style delivery is a top level promo. The answer to the question about his confused face when Kota extended a hand in Sapporo was so fucking good. The stuff later on about real life bleeding over into wrestling and vice versa was masterful. He and Ibushi handled that stuff perfectly. Kenny mentioned betraying his friends so it was touched on indirectly, but I would've loved the interviewer to bring up the Styles/Ibushi match and the distraction. 

This is so fucking great! Made my day.

• Like 1

I think my favorite thing about it is the dichotomy between their reasoning/general worldview. Ibushi can basically say "I was compelled" about everything he's ever done, because--for better and worse--he's a feelings first, impulsive person/character. Whereas with Omega, the analysis and anxiety he's invested in every interaction and decision for the last few years is about as clearly spelled out here as its ever been. (The irony being, of course, the calculus that led him to join and eventually lead Bullet Club failed. Afraid of being left behind, he ended up alone. Oops.)

There's at least one significant fan who is excited Flip Gordon made it on this trip.

Cody got some new gear...

• Like 1

The Lion Marks podcast provided some interesting context on the GL documentary and translated some Japanese reactions to it; there are also a few of the usual interesting linguistic and cultural nuggets, such as one of the fans at the Tokyo Dome apparently shouting at Okada that it must be hard to wrestle in pants. (But I guess he disagreed, since he's kept wearing them. Nobody cares, but I'm drifting towards the "anti-pants" camp now.)

Tama Tonga has been posting his own vlog series on the GOD youtube channel. Yujiro can be seen wearing a "Crock Rock" t-shirt in the latest one and he admits he has no idea what it means. I really dislike Yujiro the wrestler, but he's pretty great in small doses in these videos. Like that one where he tries to console Kenny, who's spiraling towards madness. lol, "Matt's speshal place".