DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Honor Rising 2018

Beech27

Yeah, Flip didn't make the most of a big opportunity.  Very lucky he didn't blow his knee out on that ugly fall from the apron on the 3-way.  I imagine he'll get plenty of chances to acquit himself better in the BOSJ.

We may be getting the reluctant wrestling ending in warm embrace after all! But not with Kenny & Kota, as I originally hoped. Instead the Bucks and Golden Lovers will tear the house down probably in Long Beach (oh how many tickets could they have sold with announcing such a match prior to tickets going on sale?! Staples Center doesn't seem that crazy) and The Elite will take a new form.

Short of Danielson or Punk, is there a bigger match that All In could've headlined with than Golden Lovers vs. The Young Bucks?

• Like 1

It does feel a bit like New Japan is leaving money on the table in California, and (broadly) may not quite have anticipated how big of a deal the Golden Lovers/Elite/Bullet Club angle would be. But I do want to be careful with that latter point. Even if they're only indulging what the primary actors want to do and being totally hands off otherwise, that takes a great deal of trust. Regardless, it's all happening, which I didn't really ever expect, so... yeah. 

A cool thing to file away in the "Jay White is gonna make me wonder why I ever doubted him really soon" tab: Unprompted, during his backstage interview, he mentioned that Ibushi should be wary of Omega, lest he get his heart broken again. Specifically, he should remember the distraction against AJ.

Of course this furthers his character's apparent thrill at creating division, which is good. But it's especially cool because, as White mentions, he was ringside for the match as a Young Lion. But he wasn't just standing there, he and his buzzut mohawk basically carried Kota to the back after Kenny (albeit reluctantly) betrayed him. Continuity!

• Like 3

I posted about that the night of The Embrace in how weirdly symmetrical it all is. Jay was the one to carry Ibushi to the back on that fateful night and there he is beating Omega to light the spark of the two reconnecting. This is such a ridiculously amazing angle that has LAYERZ. Beautiful layers and because there is a sense of ownership and even reality, you get this attention to detail and care that is normally absent in such angles. It's the best.

It's cool that he specifically mentions that and remembers it. He's already starting to make some adjustments in his in-ring persona to match his new character, now I think there are just a few aesthetic tweaks to make and he's more or less good to go. His hair has a bit of the Bret Hart/Curt Hennig syndrome where it puffs up quite a bit as it dries out later on in matches and it's not a good look. He needs to get hold of whatever stay-in conditioner or whatever it is that Roman soaks his hair with, as that mother fucker's locks are dripping nonstop. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

I don't think I've ever done a 180 on someone as fast with pure character work than I have with Cody.  Dude's been on fire.

Even in July I was annoyed he was the one wrestling Okada. Now I can’t wait to see his matches and can’t wait for supercard of honor. Good for him. 

I watched night 2 last night and that was a fun show. Liger/Delirious/Cheeseburger vs. The Guerrilla's/Bad Luck Fale was such a fun match. Callis had me cracking up with his commentary during it.   "No one wants to wrestle angry Tongan's" was too damn funny.

I didn't realize TRENT? was hurt, so I guess adding the Bruiser was a on the fly decision. It started off a little slow, but man it turned into one of the best random ECW type triple threats I've seen in a long time. The Bruiser and his flying fat man move set are amazing. I also legit went holy shit when Dalton did the deadlift German on him at the end.

Cody is becoming possibly the best heel around. He is such a dick and it is fun to watch. That match was so fun. But maybe it's because I've seen so many turns in my life, I just feel like the Golden Lovers are doomed to split up only with Koda breaking Kenny's heart.

Trent tore his pec and biceps (I think) in his big match with Chuck at PWG not even two weeks ago but I guess wanted to get these shows in before recuperating and getting whatever surgery is needed. After watching all of the Best Friends interviews on Highspots, a lot of those were filmed when he had his last major injury and he was really down about it. Hopefully now that he's got a good spot in ROH and is moving up the cards in New Japan he doesn't need to worry as much.