DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is The Elimination Chamber Blues - 2/12/2018

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, 07779311 said:

I can not imagine booking a monster face to do that comedy segment. It's like Vince is testing how much he can get away with until people go away.

I could buy The Rock doing this segment. I could buy Jimmy Hart doing this segment, but Braun is not that kind of character. Braun should be bashing Elias over the head with the guitar or shoving it down his throat, not playing with him.

That segment was amazing.

• Like 4

If I'm thinking of match quality, I'd honestly rather have Cena vs Lesnar or Reigns vs Lesnar. If somehow we got Braun vs Lesnar then that match needs to be the brawl to end all brawls. At the end of it, a portion of the WrestleMania set needs to be a smoldering pile while Braun stands on top of it triumphantly holding the title. Short of that, I'd rather just have Reigns vs Lesnar.

And then segue into a Reigns vs Braun program for Summerslam.

10 minutes ago, 07779311 said:

How does this help Braun get over as the monster bad-*** that he's supposed to be?

And is the 6'9 goof the best possible way to market Braun?

No one's paying to see that ****.

He's already over.

Real people can have personalities and still turn on the monster.

"No one's" just internet speak for "I don't like it."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 07779311 said:

Do you honestly think this was better for his character and role than him beating Elias over the head with that **** guitar?

Enough people already think wrestling is stupid as is. I don't think the average joe is going to say "you know, I need to go spend $50 to go see the guitar playing giant".

And wrestling box offices haven't been kind of comedic giants. Oddities Kurrgan, Punjabi Playboy Khali and Hip Hop Hippo Albert didn't light the world on fire.

There's literally nothing Braun could or couldn't do to change the minds of people who think wrestling is stupid.

I think he has enough equity with fans to show levity now and then without people equating him to Kurrgan.

• Like 1

Sure, if they turn him into a goof, we'll all rue the day he played that bass for two minutes before smashing the bad guy. I'd say they have a pretty good handle on Braun so far and I don't think one segment will sink him. Dude was crushed in a garbage truck and survived to turn over a semi. He was already ridiculous.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 07779311 said:

How does this help Braun get over as the monster bad-ass that he's supposed to be?

And is the 6'9 goof the best possible way to market Braun?

No one's paying to see that shit.

If it works it works and after he brained Samson the crowd roared his name. The comedy here was Braun mocking Samson and not Braun being mocked. 

Of liberties they are taking with Braun this is not dressing him as an elf or doing cutesy pics with Alexa Bliss. 

22 minutes ago, steve said:

Enough people already think wrestling is stupid as is.

You don't waste your energy even trying fo sell them tickets. 

Dude slung an upright bass across his lap like it was an acoustic guitar, strummed it so hard the fret board snapped off, and then shattered it over the back of another man. And you're worried THAT didn't make him look like a monster?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I don't like this person's WRESTLING OPINIONZ 4 U. This gimmick is lame.

Unlike Braun, who is fucking awesome.

I bet Austin hugging Vince or playing a guitar or Angle wearing a little hat were harbingers of doom for them as well.

Except they were. Exceptional personalities can make ridiculous shit work. Special, one-of-a-kind talent with an exceptional personality can turn that shit into gold. That's what Braun did.

• Like 1

Loved the Cena/Miz match, great stuff there. Reigns/Sheamus was pretty good. Hated Sasha losing clean, again, as usual.

10 hours ago, 07779311 said:

I can not imagine booking a monster face to do that comedy segment. It's like Vince is testing how much he can get away with until people go away.

I could buy The Rock doing this segment. I could buy Jimmy Hart doing this segment, but Braun is not that kind of character. Braun should be bashing Elias over the head with the guitar or shoving it down his throat, not playing with him.

Agreed, my first thought was Braun had officially crossed over into goofy babyface territory. But I'm not huge on Braun like everyone else. The mixed match challenge is the most I've enjoyed of him.

4 hours ago, 07779311 said:

Do you honestly think this was better for his character and role than him beating Elias over the head with that damn guitar?

Enough people already think wrestling is stupid as is. I don't think the average joe is going to say "you know, I need to go spend $50 to go see the guitar playing giant".

And wrestling box offices haven't been kind of comedic giants. Oddities Kurrgan, Punjabi Playboy Khali and Hip Hop Hippo Albert didn't light the world on fire.

Don't be so overly critical, man.

• Haha 12

I'm on the fence with the Braun segment. In a vacuum, it was hilarious. But I think the writers are about to go overboard with it. It's been established he's a big guy who can destroy people and things. That's cool. But it reaches a point where it's being done for the sake of it. Hitting Elias with an upright bass isn't the same as overturning trucks. The novelty is being diminished. They shot the heavy bullets and now are zinging random rounds hoping it works.

I'm not against doing comedy segments with top-level talent. Austin did goofy stuff, but there was always a menacing factor simmering underneath. Like he was liable to snap at any moment and it was in keeping with who he was. Braun can feel like a giant teddy at times, which takes away from the monster aspect of his character.

And oh: anyone comparing Strowman to Austin needs to slow down.

But admittedly, I merely like Braun and as far as this goes, I'm in the clear minority on the subject around here.