DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - SPRING TRAINING~!

Dolfan in NYC

The most obvious way to speed up the game is to speed up time between hitters. It used to be a guy grounded out, the ball went around the horn, and the hitter was in the box waiting when the pitcher got the ball back. Now there's a 10-30 second delay. You multiply that times 75-90 hitters per game and you've got a ton of time. 

8 hours ago, Hamhock said:

It's like speeding up a train. Straightening a curve saves 2 minutes, a higher class of speed saves 10 minutes, triple-tracking at a bottleneck saves another 10, a new bridge saves another 5. It's only after it all happens that you get what you want.

I say we appoint Sid Meier as Commissioner.

Railroad-Tycoon-3-Free-Download.jpg

• Haha 1

And do you know how I know it's Manfred? Just look at all of his other completely fucking stupid ideas. This is right in line with those.

I didn't think someone could be dumber than Selig. In hindsight, Selig was just lazy. Manfred is just...wow. 

How about more ideas from Rock n Jock Baseball? Why not have a ball that scores more runs when you hit a homer?! How about that?!!

EDIT: And before anyone says this wouldn't happen, I know that. The problem isn't with this happening because it likely never happens. The problem is the commissioner floating these stupid ideas to improve the game. 

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Cameron Maybin to the Marlins

This is when I'm reminded that he was supposed to be the FIVE STAR PROSPECT~~ that was supposed to replace Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.  In a trade that also featured Andrew Miller, who the Marlins gave away for... lemme look this up... ah yes, a half-eaten bucket of fried chicken and a $50 Sharper Image gift card. 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

And do you know how I know it's Manfred? Just look at all of his other completely fucking stupid ideas. This is right in line with those.

I didn't think someone could be dumber than Selig. In hindsight, Selig was just lazy. Manfred is just...wow. 

How about more ideas from Rock n Jock Baseball? Why not have a ball that scores more runs when you hit a homer?! How about that?!!

EDIT: And before anyone says this wouldn't happen, I know that. The problem isn't with this happening because it likely never happens. The problem is the commissioner floating these stupid ideas to improve the game. 

That's Hungry for Apples? level bad.  I'm not sure I've looked forward to a strike more. . . 

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

Manfred is literally retarded.

This has to be the worst "change the game" idea I've ever heard. Most ideas, however terrible, have some logic behind them. This one... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

This has to be the worst "change the game" idea is ever heard. Most ideas, however terrible, have some logic behind them. This one... 

Hmm ... I must have missed all those times Tom Brady was playing safety while the Patriots defense was on the field at the end of the game.  Even their reasoning is absurd.  

• Like 1

Apparently, verducci floated an idea once about a manager having like a golden ticket where he could bat someone once anytime he wanted in a game.

All these proposals are so silly. Like the "start a runner on second" in extra innings. 

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Apparently, verducci floated an idea once about a manager having like a golden ticket where he could bat someone once anytime he wanted in a game.

All these proposals are so silly. Like the "start a runner on second" in extra innings. 

Is this something other than what we're talking about above? It sounds similar, but that suggestion coming from a sportswriter isn't nearly as bad as an executive, likely Manfred, talking about it.

The way I heard it explained, or interpreted it, was his idea was for any point in the game, not just the ninth. 

Which would make sense, as those Saber inclines think it doesn't have to be the ninth inning to be the most important part of the game. 

Shohei Ohtani is making his Cactus League debut on Saturday!

I still know the two ways this is ending is screwing Ohtani up by pitching him on less rest than he's used to or screwing up every other pitcher on the roster by messing with their rest - but at least for now I can finally just enjoy watching him pitch.  

Holy shit. Friend of mine snapped some pics of Schwarber taking batting practice. He is so skinny and jacked now. I can't believe the transformation he's had from the end of the season to now. He looks like a completely different person.

These proposals for changing the game are baffling. Baseball hasn't changed for 118 years for a reason. Sure the banning of the spitball and introduction of the DH altered it a little, but that's about it for on the field stuff. The ending of the color barrier is another, but I wouldn't consider in the same category, the same for free agency. I know I've heard people moan about how having the world series at night is terrible for hooking the next generation for as long as I've been a fan, and that's more than 25 years. The sport is fine. The real problem is the whining. . . .

• Like 1