DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - SPRING TRAINING~!

Dolfan in NYC

You guys are sleeping on the fact that baseball in Montreal went to hell in a handbasket after Rusty Staub retired. No Le Grande Orange, no baseball, simple as that. Oh yeah, and people had stopped singing "The Happy Wanderer" whenever the Expos were coming up to bat. Canada is a strange place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hahahaha, Cobb is getting something like just over a million per year from the O's until 2032.

Cobb gets $14 million in each of the first three seasons and $15 million in 2021, and he would earn a $500,000 bonus in each year he pitches 180 innings. Baltimore will defer $6.5 million from this year's salary and $4.5 million in each of the next three seasons.

He gets $2 million of the deferred money on Nov. 30, 2022, and $1.8 million annually on Nov. 30 from 2023-32. If he doesn't pitch at least 130 innings in 2020, an additional $5.25 million of the final's year salary would get deferred, payable $1.75 million annually on Nov. 30 from 2033-35.

So 1.8 until 2032 and it will be even more if he is a cripple in 2020 - which knowing Cobb is highly possible

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hahahaha, Cobb is getting something like just over a million per year from the O's until 2032.

Beginning in 2022, November 30th will be hereby known as Alex Cobb Day. He'll get a cigar and a phone call from Bobby Bonilla and a singing telegram from Aiden English on behalf of Rusev.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

People love to talk about going back to Montreal but they still need a modern stadium.

The Olympic stadium is legit one of the most expensive construction disasters in history. You have to understand that the local government is pretty iffy about the PR of being the ones to fund a replacement.

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

In 1993, the year before the strike,  they drew 1.6 million, good for 13th in the NL and more than 2 million behind 2nd place Atlanta. 

In 1991, they drew just over 900,000.

People weren't going to the games. Strike had very little to do with it. 

In 1994 I remember a fuckton of Expos fans showing up when they came to Shea. That franchise was in the process of turning the corner in a major way, then catastrophe. If the strike never happened and they win the World Series I'd bet every dime I own that the Expos would still be alive today. You have no fucking idea just how devastating that was to those fans.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

People love to talk about going back to Montreal but they still need a modern stadium.

The Olympic stadium is legit one of the most expensive construction disasters in history. You have to understand that the local government is pretty iffy about the PR of being the ones to fund a replacement.

I keep hearing folks say the mayoral change put a huge dent in Montreal 's chances. 

23 hours ago, sabremike said:

In 1994 I remember a fuckton of Expos fans showing up when they came to Shea. That franchise was in the process of turning the corner in a major way, then catastrophe. If the strike never happened and they win the World Series I'd bet every dime I own that the Expos would still be alive today. You have no fucking idea just how devastating that was to those fans.

That MLBN documentary on the ‘94 team was awesome. They really were in a great position. 

Like Death From Above said, that stadium isn’t really that great, but they remodeled it enough that they still use it. The Jays (and I think two other teams) played a series there last year.

• Like 1

Jose Bautista says he's got multiple major league offers on the table and is just tryimg to decide which one would be best for his family. Riiiiiiiiiight. Unless japan and korea count as "major league". 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Madison Bumgarner's pitching hand is broken after taking a line drive off of it today

Had anyone explained to Mr. Bumgarner what that thing he wears on the other hand is for?

• Haha 1

I have Bumgarner on one of my fantasy teams. If I can't work out a decent trade, I'll stash him in one of my reserve spots. I'm not just going to give him away. 

I've got one more fantasy draft left Sunday night. I'm in four leagues this year.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

This will be the 3rd or 4th year the Jays play a preseason series in Montreal. 

Apparently, tickets are down this year, perhaps because they are midweek games, maybe the bloom is off the rose. 

And because the Jays stink. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Had anyone explained to Mr. Bumgarner what that thing he wears on the other hand is for?

It was a liner up the middle that he wasn't trying to catch.

Sorry not everyone's reflexes are as great as yours

On 3/22/2018 at 11:59 AM, sabremike said:

I'm well aware of how devastating it was to the hardcore Expos fans. There just weren't enough of them - before or after 1994.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It was a liner up the middle that he wasn't trying to catch.

Sorry not everyone's reflexes are as great as yours

Oh don't be so dour first thing in the morning. It's Saturday, have a nice bowl of Froot Loops and some toast and watch  clips of Pete Dunne beating people senseless. It's bound to improve your mood.