DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2018 - SPRING TRAINING~!

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

The value is good. 

25 million a year for a pitcher who threw just 168 innings last year and whose numbers are declining in literally every area. He's still good - for 5 innings a game - but he's not 25m/yr good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PetrolCB said:

Are there really enough people at minor league games to give a damn about the pace of play?

Honestly - most folks going to minor league games wouldn't mind it being a touch quicker

I mean they already do the bit where if they are playing a Double Header - the games are only 7 innings

I go to 35+ minor league games a year and the place of play is terrible. The breaks between innings are longer then MLB because they run a promotion or contest every half-inning. The players all think they're Mike Hargrove. 

I love the games but they are always over 3 hours. And that's with very, very rare pitching changes during innings. 

• Like 1

New Rules summarized:

10th inning: Each team starts with a runner on second base

11th inning: Each team starts with the bases loaded and a 3-0 count on the leadoff hitter

12th inning: Each team starts with the bases loaded, a 3-0 count on the leadoff hitter and the each batter will be pitched to underhand by his own father and/or guardian appointed by the courts

13th inning: Ketchup, Catsup, Mustard, and Relish mascots will race to determine the winner. In the event of a tie Ketchup and Catsup will fight to the death on a spiked, rotating stage suspended above an pit of acid.

14th inning: Should neither Ketchp nor Catsup survive the 13th inning, Morgana the kissing bandit will perform an eenie-meenie-minee-moe. The winning teams "closer" will then spend the night with Morgana as a ritual sacrifice. If Morgana is later found to be with child, the "closer" will be slaughtered on the altar of Max Patkin. As the sun disappears forever, the New Kingdom of Ribbie and Roobarb shall begin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I go to 35+ minor league games a year and the place of play is terrible. The breaks between innings are longer then MLB because they run a promotion or contest every half-inning. The players all think they're Mike Hargrove. 

I love the games but they are always over 3 hours. And that's with very, very rare pitching changes during innings. 

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

But starting with a runner on  second is a terrible idea. 

I'll echo this. I go to more than enough South Bend Cubs games each year and yeah, between every inning is a promotion or a game or something. Yes, they're always over 3 hours long. The worst was last July 4th. The city decided to have fireworks coincide with the end of the Cubs game. It was a game that started at 7 or 8. It mercifully ended in the 11th inning I think...at around 12:30 am on July 5th. We had July 5th fireworks. There were so many families that brought their kids there to see fireworks and it started turning into a real shit show. People were rooting for anyone to end the game. Kids were crying. Ugh, it was a mess.

That's the only time I would be in favor of a rule starting a player out on 2B. Otherwise, that is just the worst idea.

Also, minor league teams that do firework promotions for families? Yeah, how about ya just do the fireworks at a reasonable time regardless if that's when the game is ending or not.

• Like 2

Royals coach Dale Sveum missed the team portrait due to a doctor’s appointment. So actor Jim Caviezel, who among other things has portrayed Jesus in The Passion of the Christ, and who’s been attending the team’s spring training camp at the invitation of the front office, stood in for Sveumin the photo. Sveum’s face will be Photoshopped into the resulting photo.

From uniwatch today

13 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Bryce Harper and Mike Trout are very happy about this deal, that's for sure. If Jose is getting 30 per, those two should be looking at 35-40 per.