DVDVR Message Board

NJPW STRONG STYLE EVOLVED (aka the US Show)

RIPPA

We get World live in Canada, thankfully. Never have I thought less about the debate of English or Japanese as I have tonight. This is one of the few points where being Canadian is advantageous relative to being American regarding consumption.

Very good show so far with Chuck and Yano's match so far stealing it.

How has JR and Barnett been on English commentary? The sound mix on the Japanese side is like a '90s Japanese commercial tape with the commentators dominating everything else but it's Milano so it's good. 

I see we're stuck with AXS production missing a lot of the action again this year. 

They're better than last year, but that's pretty low bar to hurdle.  

AXS production is so amazing.  I mean, apparently Goto was in that 8 man tag vs LIJ.

• Like 1

I wanna go to the Cow Palace. 

This show has been awesome dude.

I’m partial to how much time Munoru and Ishii spent beating each other up in that match.

And this main event is super bonkers. I’m digging it.

Oh fuck, they are going full blown Civil War with this shit and the Bucks will split with Matt going with Team Cody and Nick going Team Omega. This is going to be unreal.

The ZSJ/Okada tag (which turned into the Minoru/Ishii tag) was second best. YTR/Chuck vs. KES third imo with the two singles matches after tied. 

Yup. That worked.

A high point in the history of the millennial North American indie style, a lesson on how to use it to tell a compelling story, a match that'll be remembered.  Just as that style was informed by the Attitude Era and ECW, inspired by 90's Japan, formed into something whole in RoH, and had it's boundaries pushed by PWG, so too did every formative element of *this thing* come together and make that match into what it was.

Good shit.

• Like 5

Just now, Oyaji said:

Oh fuck, they are going full blown Civil War with this shit and the Bucks will split with Matt going with Team Cody and Nick going Team Omega. This is going to be unreal.

Matt vs Nick #AllIn

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I dunno if it's just because I don't like the Bucks...

But I watch NJPW for NJPW style, not PWG.  That main coulc've been about 15 minutes shorter.

Say whatever you will about the WWE, but as good as this was, their agents are just better at match layout. The last 10-15 minutes were just masturbation. There were about 6 times that 'near-falls' should have been the end

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

WWE matches follow the same pattern and because this was a Very Special Episode of New Japan with best friends fighting, I get why they went a bit overkill. Remember all of the shit Roman was no selling and laughing at in the Bork match at 31 and it worked because it was supposed to be the culmination of his story much like this was the end of a chapter for the Elite's story.

I'm with @John E. Dynamite in that this felt like the end product of a style that's been in the making for 25+ years. Kenny and Ibushi's timing still isn't where it needs to be on some of their moves (the "NO ESCAPE" spot was scary), but the narrative and layout was pretty well perfect imo.

Liger still rules. There were about 3 times or so during that match that I wished Liger would just win but I enjoyed Ospreay here too. Really dug White/Page and thought it was a great showing from both guys, match felt bigger than expected. Loved the main event, thought it was an incredible match and perfect for the build/expectation/story with the two teams involved. Really fun match, amazing high spots, and some very good story telling throughout. I particularly liked the coming back around with Matt putting Kenny thru the table after hesitating the first time. Now catching what I missed of the first half.