DVDVR Message Board

NJPW STRONG STYLE EVOLVED (aka the US Show)

RIPPA

This is incredibly well done, as the author makes all the emotional and thematic connections between the two and their paths. All it's missing is REO Speedwagon during The Embrace. 

Bit of an aside, but it's really cool to see how the principles have embraced fan-produced content like Showbuckle's videos. Kevin Kelly famously shouted out his Naito piece during the build to Wrestle Kingdom, and he's been the most vocal in general; but Kenny and New Japan World have also retweeted and endorsed this video specifically, in addition to that Golden Lovers twitter thread that's been all over the place. It's all important in keeping the English-speaking fandom engaged, and then rewarding that engagement. 

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Why choose one week before Mania?

Because they are filling up RoH and RevPro mania weekend shows with their guys. RoH - Cody/Omega, RevPro - Zack/Ishii as main events. And both shows already announced people like Tanahashi, Ibushi, Suzuki, Ospreay being there so I wouldn't be very surprised if final cards of both shows end up being something like 30% NJPW guys. With some creative liberty we could say that NJPW will have 3 USA shows in one month.

If SSE was happening during mania weekend then Cody/Omega would be happening at it and what would happen at Supercard? Dalton/Lethal? I doubt that Omega would want to do Golden Lovers/YB immediately after his match with Cody either. Ishii maybe would still challenge Zack, but I'm sure that Tanahashi, Suzuki, Ibushi, Omega and Ospreay would be SSE "exclusive" in such case. Especially if they'd pick bigger arena.

When Cody/Omega was announced to be happening at Supercard I wasn't very happy because I thought that NJPW match should happen in NJPW, but it all kinda fits together and there are only three (in my opinion) explanations here:

1. NJPW has very long term expansion plan and RoH/RevPro are part of it.

2. NJPW has signed some dumb deals with RoH/RevPro that force them to make their cards look better.

3. They are just doing random things.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

But allegedly Gedo is mostly letting them book this stuff themselves.

But we don't even know what exactly that means. Do The Elite decide overall storyline and how matches are laid out? Or do they actually book shows and decide who should go over? My assumption would be that NJPW want Kenny to be face and saw potential in Cody replacing him as the leader (or at least attempting to) so I'd assume that Gedo has said X and Y has to happen, what actually happens in the ring and overall storyline beats are up to you.

And I expect that this is how NJPW works in general since it doesn't look like Tanahashi or Naito are reading from the script either.

• 2 weeks later...

I mention this here just because it is somewhat related

Per Meltzer in the WON that just came out - New Japan has a hold on July 7 for a show at the Cow Palace

It is still possible they will run Long Beach or Vegas instead

• Like 1

Cody is the fucking man. He looked like an animal with his dad's fur coat and his head popping out of it, typing away on SLICK NICK'S LAPTOP. What a fun storyline. Only 5 more days!

tumblr_inline_nmlol0BiKR1qio73x_500.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh shit, they are big boying up the Okada/ZSJ tag. Posters at F4W's forum (yuck mostly) were thinking it would be the main dudes and their hypemen in a tag here. I suppose that could be done in the buildup show to Sakura Genesis. 

I wonder if Elgin asked to not be booked to avoid backlash or if that was an office decision. 

KES is going to murder Chuck, but I'm happy that he's on the card!

Bullet Club in-fighting! GoD vs. Marty'n'Cody.

Dragon Lee vs. Hiromu interactions in the LIJ 8-man.

I like it. I like it a lot.

I was disappointed a bit by card reveal to be honest mainly for three reasons: no Evil, no Mysterio and opening match looks like whatever. Well it probably makes sense that first three matches announced were the big ones and nothing else really exciting got added asides of Okada/Ishii vs Zack/Suzuki.

Anyway, if we are doing the tiebreaker then here are my predictions:

Ropongi 3k over RoH guys
Juice/Finlay over Goto/Gedo,
KES over Chuck/Yano,
Cody/Marty over GoD,
LiJ over unaligned guys,
Ospreay over Liger,
Okada/Ishii over Zack/Suzuki,
White over Page,
Golden Lovers over YBs

Additional speculations: KES calls out Evil/Sanada again, we get Jericho video for Naito, Marty challenges Ospreay for Sakura Genesis, Ishii pins Suzuki and we start building towards Suzuki/Ishii singles match (maybe for that show that is happening before Wrestling Dontaku?) before we switch back to Suzuki/Naito.
Super speculation: Young Bucks fuck up somehow as a result of Cody messing with them in previous BTE episodes which causes a loss and we start building towards Matt vs Nick match for All In.

Predictions tie break power activate:

1. So Cal Uncensored. No way you job ROH's trios champs two weeks before they work the Hung Bucks

2. Robinson and Finlay

3. KES

4. Cody/Marty

5. LIJ

6. ZSJ/MiSu

7. White

8. Lovers

Edit: oh and Ospreay obviously

They could put anything beneath that main event, and I'd probably still call it a good card on average... but I do think it's a good card. It's just more typically New Japan than one-off (well, two-off) supershow, which was never going to be a sustainable model. The tags should be fun, and they'll build to more down the road; I really want to be impressed by Page and White, both of whom--in character and out--should be vicious with this opportunity; and yeah, Bucks and Lovers will be insane, selling back and heart damage with a degree of melodrama that would be silly, except. And then there's gonna be an angle, and I'll come away stoked for whatever's next.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Predictions tie break power activate:

1. So Cal Uncensored. No way you job ROH's trios champs two weeks before they work the Hung Bucks

I'm not sure you understand the nature of the NJPW/RoH relationship...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I get the relationship. I'm talking about NJPW protecting the Bucks opponents

Why on Earth would Gedo protect someone for RoH at the expense of his Jr. Tag champs on a NJPW show?

Ace is right, Rocky likely eats the pin, but Sky getting pinned with the 3K wouldn't surprise me.

Shit, I totally forgot about Suzuki-gun winning the belts at Anniversary.  I retract everything...

But still believe that it's more likely R3K is going over.