DVDVR Message Board

NFL HALL OF FAME THREAD (where y'all go round and round about WRs)

dogwelder

Former linebacker Ray Lewis, receiver Randy Moss and linebacker Brian Urlacher have been elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, sources told ESPN.

They are joined in the Class of 2018 by longtime Eagles safety Brian Dawkins and receiver Terrell Owens, who was in his third year of eligibility and third as a finalist.

Also voted into the Hall were Jerry Kramer, Robert Brazile and Bobby Beathard.

Kramer means we need a new official  "best player not in." Glad it happened while he's still alive.

Pleasantly surprised Dawkins got in. Safeties get overlooked a lot.

Getting both the second (Moss) and third (Owens) best wide outs I've ever seen in the same class is great.

Lewis... Fuck Ray Lewis but he deserves it. Urlacher's rock solid as well.

4 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

gz8a9fjldnivpsw2srhf.png

I fucking love T.O.  

My favorite T.O. moment was when he went to Philadelphia and Derek Smith from the 49ers started talking in the media about how bad of a teammate T.O. was an how the 49ers were better without him.  Someone asked him about it, and T.O. deadpans, "who? Derek Smith?  I don't even know who that is."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Kramer means we need a new official  "best player not in." Glad it happened while he's still alive.

Well looking at a recent list:  I would say it is now either Joe Jacoby or Jim Marshall.   Was actually surprised that Marshall wasn't in the HOF already

T.O. damn near beat the Patriots by himself on.... one leg.    It's about damn time Owens, who I believe to be the second greatest wide receiver in history got inducted into the hall of fame.  Congrats to everyone else too.  

And fuck the sports media.  T.O. should have been first ballot no questions asked.   FUCK YOUR FEELINGS, sports media. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RonL21 said:

Screen-Shot-2017-11-23-at-11.47.39-AM.pn

I've still never in my life seen anything like that Moss debut against Green Bay. He was just on a level nobody ever had been, nor gotten too since. Green Bay couldn't have guarded him with 13 men on the field.

ONE CLAP

On 2/4/2018 at 2:28 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

He's better than Moss.  He was every bit the deep threat,  better over the middle,  harder to tackle and more reliable.   At best it's a wash.  There's a reason their numbers are so similar. 

Rice, Moss, and T.O. are the three guys who I won't argue with if you called them the best ever.  Rice has the numbers, but also played with some of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.  With that said, Moss and T.O. are about as physically overwhelming as any two players at any position in the history of football.  I don't think there has ever been a defensive back who could match up with them.  Not only that, those dudes are very underrated route runners, they were bigger, stronger, faster, could jump higher, and ran very precise routes.  Rice was like the greatest possible wide receiver for humans, T.O. and Moss were extraterrestrials.  

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

Rice, Moss, and T.O. are the three guys who I won't argue with if you called them the best ever.  Rice has the numbers, but also played with some of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.  With that said, Moss and T.O. are about as physically overwhelming as any two players at any position in the history of football.  I don't think there has ever been a defensive back who could match up with them.  Not only that, those dudes are very underrated route runners, they were bigger, stronger, faster, could jump higher, and ran very precise routes.  Rice was like the greatest possible wide receiver for humans, T.O. and Moss were extraterrestrials.  

To be fair,   Rice's numbers with shitty QB's are better than pretty much every WR who has ever lived. From Football Perspective:  

"5 seasons, Grbac (9), Kemp (6), Bono (6), Moroski (2) and Cavanugh (1) started 24 games for the 49ers. In exactly a year and a half’s worth of games, Rice caught 134 passes for 2,177 yards and 23 TDs, and ran for one score as well. That’s an average season of 89 catches, 1451 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns, or roughly the career best season for nearly every WR who has ever played the game"

On 2/4/2018 at 11:28 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

He's better than Moss.  He was every bit the deep threat,  better over the middle,  harder to tackle and more reliable.   At best it's a wash.  There's a reason their numbers are so similar. 

There's also a reason that one of them is one of three wide receivers in NFL history to get voted into the Hall of Fame in their first year on the ballot and the other one had to take three or four shots at it.

Because one of them was better than the other.

25 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

There's also a reason that one of them is one of three wide receivers in NFL history to get voted into the Hall of Fame in their first year on the ballot and the other one had to take three or four shots at it.

Because one of them was better than the other.

That's not the reason at all.  It's because the media has hated T.O. more than maybe any athlete over the past 20 years.  Maybe Barry Bonds is more hated.  But Owens has the last laugh and I hope he shits on those miserable fucks during his speech.  It will be glorious.  Anyone who thinks Owens shouldn't have been first ballot should stop talking football and pick up maybe sailing or something. 

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's not the reason at all.  It's because the media has hated T.O. more than maybe any athlete over the past 20 years.  Maybe Barry Bonds is more hated.  But Owens has the last laugh and I hope he shits on those miserable fucks during his speech.  It will be glorious.  Anyone who thinks Owens shouldn't have been first ballot should stop talking football and pick up maybe sailing or something. 

Yeah. . .because if Randy Moss was known for anything in his career, it was his warm and fuzzy relationship with the media.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2018 at 1:35 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

LOl, I wonder if the NFL wishes TO had gone in on the first ballot.  If I'm the league and have had the PR problems they've had the past couple years (esp. the past six months), I'm not loving the optics of my Hall of Fame class being Accused Murderer, Surly Guy, Bad Teammate, and Urlacher.  All four guys absolutely deserve to be in, but... timing.

For the record, I'm one of those guys who think the murder charge was a blatant attempt to pressure Lewis into rolling on his friends,  Lewis is probably guilty of something, but I don't like the tactic.  And, as much as TO the player deserved to be in on first ballot, I couldn't have cared less whether he ever got in.

Edit: Meant Ray Lewis, not Ray Rice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Yeah. . .because if Randy Moss was known for anything in his career, it was his warm and fuzzy relationship with the media.

I don't remember people like Whitlok and Skip doing entire shows about how much they hate Randy Moss.  You're a Vikings fan so I get it. 

I remember Joe Buck derailing an entire game broadcast to rant about hating Moss.

I remember volumes written about how admitting he sometimes takes plays off made him the worst person in NFL history.

Etc etc

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I remember Joe Buck derailing an entire game broadcast to rant about hating Moss.

These writers act like T.O. has killed people. Never had an issue off the field by the way and never took plays off either. His biggest crime was calling out a couple QBs and celebrating after he scored.  But they treated him like Manson. 

And yet ... Ray Lewis actually killed somebody, and pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice (of that murder) and is considered and treated as if he's a saint.  Fuck Ray Lewis.  I ain't never had no problems with TO.  Or Moss. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

And yet ... Ray Lewis actually killed somebody, and pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice (of that murder) and is considered and treated as if he's a saint.  Fuck Ray Lewis.  I ain't never had no problems with TO.  Or Moss. 

Except he didn't kill that dude, and the dudes who did kill that dude were found innocent on the basis of self defense.  All this stuff is easy to find on the internet.

• Like 1