DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Studios Tenth Anniversary.

The Natural

14 hours ago, (BP) said:

It's pretty impressive they got that many of the actors in the same room at once with all those schedules. It could have easily been a Sgt. Peppers cover scenario instead. 

I suck at Photoshop but I'd pay a dollar if somebody went and did this.

It's hard to believe it's been only ten years.  There's been so many damn movies that it to me felt like it was longer.  While I don't necessarily read comics the movies and shows they've put out have rejuvenated my interest in some characters, and in some cases got me into characters I didn't know about before.  But I think in my own way watching a couple of these movies seems like a fine way to celebrate this.

20 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Biggest omission in the class photo has to be Tom Hiddleston.

I am admittedly old and have astigmatism, but I didn't see Jeff Bridges in that photo.   That's also a huge omission, IMO.

You'd think that the actor that played the MCU's first super villain would've gotten an invite.

I also didn't see Sam Rockwell or Mickey Rourke, but maybe forgetting Iron Man 2 ever happened is a good thing.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 9:15 AM, J.T. said:

I am admittedly old and have astigmatism, but I didn't see Jeff Bridges in that photo.   That's also a huge omission, IMO.

There's an overall lack of representation for the villains. That said, Eccleston and Weaving weren't going to make time in their schedules for this. 

Hiddleston stuck out the most to me simply because he's been in four of these things (soon to be five) and is by far their most recognizable villain (or tweener).

18 hours ago, Library Dude said:

It took me a while to find Big Dave. I don't know how or why, but I now want some sort of interaction between his and Michael Pena's MCU characters. Or a buddy cop movie with the two of them.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

You cannot miss Dave and his old man Kangol.

Yeah, there's some muscular/ripped actors and Dave is bigger than 'em all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As Marvel Studios turns ten, I'm going to be posting my reviews of the 18 Marvel Cinematic Universe films in order of release starting now:

Iron Man (2008) was the first Marvel Studios film and needed to start things well, that it did. Iron Man is a great film for the story it tells, the origin of Iron Man and the performances by Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeff Bridges. Iron Man ten years on still remains in my top five MCU movies. This film also has the greatest Marvel Cinematic Universe post-credits scene as Nick Fury the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. tells Tony Stark he’s not the only superhero out there and about the Avengers Initiative. Shame Don Cheadle wasn’t Lt. Colonel James “Rhodey” Rhodes from the beginning.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) is my least favourite Marvel Studios films. The film had bad timing as The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Hellboy II: The Golden Army came out the same year and were critically acclaimed especially The Dark Knight and Iron Man. Like Iron Man 2, I’ve only watched The Incredible Hulk the once. I wonder if Marvel Studios wish they released it in 2009 instead. 2009 is the only year we didn’t get a Marvel Studios film.

Iron Man 2 (2010) was the first film from the MCU I watched in the cinema…Yep. The first half of Iron Man 2 wis the better of the two halves but it didn’t handle Avengers/S.H.I.E.L.D. as well as the other Marvel Studios films. Only highlights are Black Widow’s debut especially her opening scene and the end credits scene of Thor’s Mjolnir. June 2017: Kevin Feige, Tom Holland and Jon Watts said the kid saved by Iron Man outside the Stark Expo was a young Peter Parker so rewriting the past via retroactive continuity! This now marks Peter Parker’s first MCU appearance. I haven’t watched Iron Man 2 since I watched it at the cinema and I don’t want to.

Out of the Marvel Studios films available on DVD, Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk are the only ones I don’t own.

• 2 weeks later...

Thor (2011) was the fourth Marvel Studios film and coming out of the cinema, I had it as the best Marvel Studios film for a short period of time partly because I hadn’t watched Iron Man in a while. Thor is still really good for the familial relationship between Odin/Thor/Loki and what that meant for other characters, the performances and directed by Sir. Kenneth Branagh helped by his William Shakespeare. Thor is an underrated film in the Marvel Studios/Marvel Cinematic Universe series.

The best things about Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) is Chris Evans in the title role, Hayley Atwell, the period setting in World War II, how Steve Rogers becomes Captain America and the ending. The time period and the ending are unique to comic book films as Captain America sacrifices himself crashing the plane to save lives…to wake up seventy years later after getting frozen finding out things have changed. The post-credits scene gave us our first teaser for Avengers Assemble too. Opinion on this film is that you really like it or you really don’t. I do, always have. My appreciation for it grew.

Avengers Assemble (2012) is a terrific film for the performances particularly Mark Ruffalo as the new Dr. Bruce Banner/the Hulk, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Hiddleston and Chris Evans, the interactions between the characters, the humour and the action. Avengers Assemble had expectations because of the build towards the assembly and the standard of most of them. Avengers Assemble succeeded and then some. I laughed frequently at it, Hulk using Loki as a ragdoll is probably the most I’ve laughed in a cinema.