DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

There was one point at the tail end of Hunter and Steph's entrance where he started to make his pecs dance, and they sort of collapsed inward and began to resemble the pecs of an average 50-year-old man. It was harrowing. 

I am the Game. I want to drink 10-15 beers, piss my pants and pass out on the recliner.

Great match but Charlotte being the one to end the streak? Ok.. I can't agree with that but I can live with it.

Asuka cutting that promo to put over Flair though? That's where it got very shitty.. that was from the Bryan putting over Reigns playbook that has NEVER worked but for some reason Vince keeps going back to it.

• Like 3

If you let a streak get stretched beyond a certain point, it gets anticlimactic to the point of diminishing returns where a reaction of genuine "astonishment" is turned into "I knew it wouldn't last forever" when it finally does end. This streak could've been easily milked into Summerslam before it had gotten anywhere near that stage. Unless there's somebody you can make from ending the streak, it's always better to end it a little early instead of too late. To me, the submission finish seemed a little abrupt compared to what it took to put people away in other matches all weekend long. Taking all those things into consideration, this was a fair way to end the streak although they could've gotten a considerable amount more of quality mileage out of it before it became an albatross around any long term or spur of the moment booking plans.

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

The best section of the match was all a hot tag from Ronda were Drake wasn't talking to them and Angle and Hunter were playing hurt at ringside.

Dude,  the match was heavily if not all scripted,  I was just listening to Taz who felt the same.  There's reason to believe Hunter had A LOT to do with laying it out.  Ronda was awesome,  I loved it.  But lets be honest about Hunter's involvement. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Someone's beating Lesnar on RAW tomorrow night in under five minutes. Whether it's Roman, Braun, a returning Samoa Joe or AJ unifying them I don't know

I will 100% forgive tonight's Roman/Brock match if they do a hard reset with Braun winning the belt tomorrow. Plus it would likely involve some hilarity with Cesaro and Sheamus wrestling a 10 year old boy for a short period.

They must have practiced the shit out of that match at the PC dozens of times would be my guess. It totally worked as most everything was perfect and the crowd reactions were exactly what they had hoped for. Ronda is probably not going to be very good if she's in there on a weekly basis but if they spread out her matches at least for the first while she'll be great at performing heavily scripted stuff.

Recap:

Andre battle royal: Boring. Waste of time.

Alexander vs Ali: Fine match, could have lived without the heart vs soul bullshit.

Women's battle royal: Bayley seeing through Sasha's shit should have been the finish. Naomi doing the lay and pray outside the ring for 10 minutes only to pop up and win sucks. A heel should have done that.

IC title: Liked the match, but maybe Finn should have won.

Charlotte-Asuka: LOVED IT. The streak has to go sometime, and if you aren't going to have a chickenshit heel like Carmella do it, letting your best performer do it is a great backup plan. Both women were great in this match.

US title: I am assuming that Jinder winning after Rusev kicked Singh leads to the Rusev babyface turn. If that happens, this match was good. If we get 9 months of Jinder as US champion, my opinion may change.

Angle/Ronda vs HHH/Steph: Way better than it had any right to be. Ronda and Steph were great. Stooging heel HHH is my favorite HHH.

Smackdown tags: decent match, right team went over. Will be interesting to see how they book the teams trying to beat them in the future.

Elias coming down instead of Taker was amazing. The Taker/Cena match was mercifully short.

D-Bry and Shane vs Owens/Zayn: Good match. Nice to see Bryan back.

Nia/Bliss: liked it a lot, but I agree with Fowler, this might have been better as the rematch after the title squishing.

AJ/Nak: Would have preferred Nak going over, but him going heel is a nice second option, as long as it does not mean he starts spraying mist by the end of June.

Raw tags: liked that they played into the fact that Braun did not want a partner. Did not like how long he searched to find somebody. Put the plant in the front row when the show is 7 hours long.

Reigns/Lesnar: Ugh. Anyone who blames that on Roman is a dumbass. I have already fantasy booked that Braun returns the tag belts to Angle tomorrow, in exchange for a Universal title match tomorrow, and he wins it, and the next time I see Brock is with his wife and kids at a Winnipeg Jets playoff game.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was hoping he'd run into Suzuki and they'd either become partners or fight. 

Or Tanahashi. Okada was in the building. I mean, dude had options.

NO MORE SEVEN HOUR WRESTLEMANIAS!

This show was a hot bloated mess. What's worse? The first half was actually pretty decent. Then about midway through, the event and the crowd just ran out of gas. Basically after the Daniel Bryan tag. This is the burden of trying to make sure everyone and their mother has to get booked for WrestleMania. You end up with a tired bloated card where no one really gets over. Not everyone should be booked on WrestleMania. 

I was at WrestleMania 17 and that was a big show. It was four hours I think, but it still wasn't this 7 hour mess. The only real booking decision that seemed to make sense was having the Bludgeon Brothers destroy everyone. Harper and Rowan were well overdue to have a tag title win and performance like that. IMHO, something like that should've happened when they were still teaming in the Wyatt family and constantly jobbed to the Usos. 

AJ Styles vs. Nakamura was supposed to be this amazing dream match. Instead it was dull. And the finish was dull. Not to mention, AJ Styles has seldom been using the Styles Clash as a finisher. Not to mention you had both Royal Rumble winners lose their title shot, making the Royal Rumble cheap and basically meaningless at this point. 

Why do people like Shane McMahon? Sure, the guy can take a bump and do some cool moves, even for 47. But his wrestling sucks. His look sucks. And he's made to look like he can challenge the toughest guys on your roster after having diverticulitis surgery.  It's bullshit.

So Vince McMahon stuck to his guns and made Lesnar vs. Reigns again. He made it the final match again. The fans rejected Roman Reigns again. And yet even though Vince has shoved Reigns down everyone's throats for years and it never sticking, Vince decides to put Roman Reigns over tonight?  But not before he kicks out of six F-5s, including a table F-5. What the literal fuck? 

Fuck this show. Fuck WrestleMania 34. 

• Like 3

As for the Undertaker thing, I can only assume they did it that way to erase Undertaker's "retirement" at WrestleMania 34. And with that, Undertaker is "back," and Cena will go on a year-long soul searching journey to get back to Undertaker so he can give a performance worthy of WrestleMania.  I think they will place this loss up as Cena got too cocky and arrogant by goading the Undertaker out of retirement and it backfired. 

I'm not complimenting how it was done, but I can only assume that's the only are going for based on this show's shitty booking in the second half. 

I hate to beat a dead horse but Sasha/Bayley got a very nice reaction when they were the "final 2".  I'm not going to complain about most of the women not getting entrances or Sasha's entrance being cut in half to show another Paige movie promo.  Fine.   HOPEFULLY these two will get a proper opportunity next year,  they deserve it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

As much as Ronda looked fantastic at pretty much everything in the ring and like a star tonight, they gotsta fuck off with that Homer Simpson makeup shotgun they applied to her. She looked like an 18 year old goth kid halfway through the match. And Jesus, Paige...

Not to get all 'netico but most everyone I watched with thought Ronda looked really good tonight,  at least a lot better than the make up she had for RAW. 

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

They must have practiced the shit out of that match at the PC dozens of times would be my guess. It totally worked as most everything was perfect and the crowd reactions were exactly what they had hoped for. Ronda is probably not going to be very good if she's in there on a weekly basis but if they spread out her matches at least for the first while she'll be great at performing heavily scripted stuff.

There are also several women on RAW that should be able to work around her greenness, especially given practice time. Sasha, Bayley... Do we know if Asuka is still on RAW now?

Can anyone explain how the women's battle royal was a good thing for the women's division?  Naomi, the face, basically won in the cheapest, lamest way possible. Her trophy, look at this fucking trophy! Why would you ditch plans for Sasha Banks vs. Bayley over this?

DZ0WkZ-W4AA234m.jpg

• Like 1

Because they changed their plans on that feud completely, for one thing. Bayley was almost certainly supposed to be a heel by that MSG show, and now it's Sasha acting heelish.

For second, no matter how much you dislike it, they are going to put everyone on the show. Period. There wasn't time.

• Like 1