DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

He's in full Lex Luger territory now and it's probably worse than that.

And again, the shit they should be doing with Roman is easy. The problem is that it's what they're doing with Braun now. Alvarez said it 2 or 3 years ago that there's another wrestler who shows up and just beats ass and people love him for it. His name is Brock Lesnar and building Brock in that way certainly didn't hurt him. Roman is a hulking Samoan dude who should never look sympathetic unless he's heel and they try to do with him what Ciampa just did on Saturday. Otherwise, Roman should arrive, beat ass, and leave. Maybe destroy some stuff along the way. Instead he's a little bitch.

The other remarkable thing here is that Roman, the face that creative books him as, guaranteed victory in so many words, called Lesnar a bitch, talked a lot of shit, and in the end he didn't win and he didn't back up a single thing he talked about. When was the last time a babyface guaranteed victory and then just didn't win. Not only didn't win, but was squashed and bloodied.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we found out at some point today that Roman was suspended again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He was pouring blood from his head because once again they let Lesnar bust someone open hardway.

It will never not be insane to me that they tried this once, and yeah I can't comprehend why they'd ever go back to it. Didn't work in the context of the match, and makes even less sense outside of it, knowing the blade-ban/concussion lawsuit/head trauma zeitgeist context.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He's in full Lex Luger territory now and it's probably worse than that.

And again, the shit they should be doing with Roman is easy. The problem is that it's what they're doing with Braun now. Alvarez said it 2 or 3 years ago that there's another wrestler who shows up and just beats ass and people love him for it. His name is Brock Lesnar and building Brock in that way certainly didn't hurt him. Roman is a hulking Samoan dude who should never look sympathetic unless he's heel and they try to do with him what Ciampa just did on Saturday. Otherwise, Roman should arrive, beat ass, and leave. Maybe destroy some stuff along the way. Instead he's a little bitch.

The other remarkable thing here is that Roman, the face that creative books him as, guaranteed victory in so many words, called Lesnar a bitch, talked a lot of shit, and in the end he didn't win and he didn't back up a single thing he talked about. When was the last time a babyface guaranteed victory and then just didn't win. Not only didn't win, but was squashed and bloodied.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we found out at some point today that Roman was suspended again.

That's the thing I've always said about how they push Roman. Roman shouldn't be overcoming obstacle after obstacle. Roman should be the obstacle. 

My three favorite matches all night were the women's matches. 

1) Charlotte vs. Asuka was spectacular. It felt like it could have been the best main roster women's match of all-time. Certainly up there with all of the Charlotte/Sasha classics. Asuka losing via a tap-out was just an amazing moment. She finally ran into someone more athletic and just as smart and etc. One point: The women who came up from NXT know how to express themselves facially like no other "class" of workers I can ever remember. Charlotte does one of the best "WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BEAT THIS PERSON" expression I can remember. Asuka is also just so, so, so great, too. The end with Asuka showing respect was terrific. It also set up the Shinsuke turn later on. Now it's on Asuka to see how well she does post-streak. It's time for the streak with her to end.

2) The Angle/Rousey and HHH/Steph match was PERFECT. Just a really wild match with a great story centered around Steph doing whatever it takes to avoid Rousey. I know the IWC slags on Steph and Shane but screw that. They know how to tell wrestling stories so incredibly well having grown up in the business. They're not athletes, though. But the whole connecting with an audience emotionally and playing a character - they know that so incredibly well. The match had all the appropriate bells-and-whistles to make something involving two part-time wrestlers, a non-athlete and a woman in her first pro wrestling match on such a huge stage. Really great stuff.

3) Bliss vs. Nia would have been a MOTYC if the feud and match was on a NXT Takeover. The hardcore main roster people is really partial to heels. Alexa gets face pops and is playing the worst person in the world. Nia's vulnerability (again: NXT women are the best at emotional expression) would have made her a new Bayley. But this was just a really great morality play and felt like a Canadian teen melodrama. The cool kid mean girl used the girl who didn't fit in and acted like they were friends and then betrayed her as soon as she became dispensible and was extra cruel in doing so. Like... that's such a realistic thing that happens in middle schools every day. We associate bullying with boys being awful but female bullying is just as brutal. They really got that theme over and I think this was the best story from start-to-finish. The match itself was also really good. I loved Nia coming in with a strategy to get rid of Micke ASAP - it works in terms of both eliminating a second AND taking out her anger on one of her tormentors. Alexa was great at her cheap shot eye work and showing just ridiculous fear. The whole "I LOVED YOU!" stuff at the end was really sort of heart-breaking -- the bigger girl finally got her comeuppance, but she's still brokenhearted that she was treated like crap by someone she truly cared about.

• Like 1

Main Event finish may not have made any sense, but I'm far more interested in Raw tonight than if Roman had won. 

Was in the Superdome.  The spectacle is something special live.  It is too long.  Took bathroom breaks during the US Title match and during the entrances / video package for Alexa vs. Nia. 

Crowd was hot for Ronda, which I was happy with.  It was match of the night, which is nuts considering how useless Kurt Angle generally is and Steph's limitations.  One note - Ronda never fully locked in the arm bar during the double submission spot before Kurt got dumped on her.  The way she was locking it in (under the arm pit) is pretty much a guaranteed insta-submission or arm break.  See the first Ronda / Meisha Tate fight.  The biggest match I want to see going forward is Triple H vs. Ronda.

Shinsuke / AJ the build felt like it was going to be the first match in a long feud.  That's what the match felt like too.  I know they have better matches in them and I feel like they were holding back a little (which makes absolutely no sense in that this was Wrestlemania, but that's just how the WWE operates). 

Crowd hated both Brock and Roman.  Multiple beach balls were going at one point.  The problem isn't just Roman.  People are sick of Brock, too.  The answer was right there, too.  Braun is super over and spent 20 minutes wandering around and dragging a random kid to the ring to stand there while he squashed the tag team champs.  Itprobably should have been Braun wins the elimination chamber, crushes Brock at Wrestlemania, and Roman can spend 20 minutes looking for a kid and hopefully not forgetting his lines. 

• Like 2

I still can't get over Charlotte moonsaulting into a fucking triangle choke. That was the coolest shit.

I'm trying to stick with all the good things instead of harping on the bad. Like Them introducing Daniel Bryan, crowd is hot, and then killing the crowd with Shane working most of the match with his deadly middle aged martial arts.

No no stick with the good, like Nia Jax and Alexa Bliss being put in an impossible spot on the card, and somehow managing to get the crowd back up for the last half. Not the shitty stuff like John Cena cutting off the women's match exits with his goofy running. 

Focus on Undertaker murdering Cena like a little bitch, in maybe the most satisfying part of the show. Focus on Rousey fitting in pretty well, and eliminating a lot of that stilted choreographed movement she's shown up until now.

Focus on Seth Rollins' White Walker Contacts and not that he took them out before the match started.

Focus on anything but staying up for the two men's world title fights and basically getting two angle matches that gave no one what they wanted. Anything else.

• Like 2

My son and I ran into Aleister Black and Zelina Vega twice on the floor, both by accident. They were very pleasant. Zelina is even shorter than you think.

Also ran into that fucking clown superfan or whatever he is. Was he the same clown Joey Janela knocked out?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lawful Metal said:

Also ran into that fucking clown superfan or whatever he is. Was he the same clown Joey Janela knocked out?

Yes - the one dating Foley's daughter

1 minute ago, Lawful Metal said:

My son and I ran into Aleister Black and Zelina Vega twice on the floor, both by accident. They were very pleasant. Zelina is even shorter than you think.

Yeah, also you can never acknowledge his existence, like the bunny in Donny Darko.  Otherwise, you die. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, also you can never acknowledge his existence, like the bunny in Donny Darko.  Otherwise, you die. 

Oh shit. There were people going up to him for autographs. WTF 

1 minute ago, MonteCarl said:

I'm wondering if maybe AoP debuts tonight by beating Braun for the tag titles. It's not like Nicholas is going to be touring with the show until they drop the titles, so it sort of has to happen tonight

You can also have a new authority figure (since there is no way Angle can stay as GM and Steph will be out selling her arm) can say that due to labor laws - Braun has to find a new partner or be stripped of the titles

I think HHH or a new authority figure will strip atleast Nicholas of the his belt if not both of them, due to him being either 1) a child or 2) not a member of the roster. Wether they make Braun get a new partner or strip him too idk. 

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Because Brock likes to potato people for shits & giggles?

No, just like the Cena Extreme Rules 2012 match, I’m pretty sure that was a planned spot in order to draw blood. I don’t understand WWE’s logic here. Blading is barbaric but legit elbows to the cranium are ok?? Legit cuts to the head bleed like a mofo too. 

If they were going to bring in a kid to be Braun's partner and kill their tag teams even more dead, they could at least have gotten the little girl Kenny Omega wrestled several years back.  At least she was willing to bump.

(In all seriousness, if that wasn't a make-a-wish kid, it's a missed opportunity).