DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

Wrestlemania has become it's own worst enemy, it's just an overbooked spectacle, it's not wrestling.

As already mentioned, everyone gets booked. Gone are the days where HBK and Razor can say fuck the other guys, we're putting on a classic. And when you finally have an opportunity (AJ/Nak) they book it as being "OMG greatest match eva!!!" for two months and put it in hour 6 when the crowd is long gone and it can't possibly deliver. If the show was 3 hours long again, we would be talking about it in a more positive fashion.

I did enjoy Charlotte vs. Asuka.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jamal said:

My favorite match was Charlotte/Asuka. No woman has been better booked than Charlotte so I’m fine with her ending the streak. Besides, this adds some vulnerability to Asuka’s character. 

This is sad statement to think about considering Charlotte had been booked to do nothing for most of the last year, and had even gotten an unnecessary loss to Nattie just a few weeks ago before this show.

14 hours ago, Jamal said:

Ronda looked way better than I expected her to and Alexa got in far too much offense again Nia although I thought it was smart of Nia to pretty much destroy Mickie ahead of time. 

I think Alexa got in the perfect amount of offense. She cheated her ass off and tried to play it smart taking advantage of Nia's anger and subsequent mistakes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

A long time ago, people thought Wrestlemania IV was too long at four hours.

I feel sorry for everyone who watched all of this live but admire your endurance.

WM IV came on at like 3pm Eastern I think. This wouldn't be so bad if they did those old start times of like 1 or 4pm.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

As someone who went to bed right before AJ/Nakamura (and apparently this was a wise decision) what time did the show actually end?

12:11 AM ET

At one point they should realize that 7 h shows are doomed to die are horrible death the last 90 - 120 minutes, even under the best of circumstances. If they really want to have that much at Mania they should start considering splitting the thing into two shows. The way everything is setup now this should work. They will be able to fill the domes both nights, the domes are booked for the whole week anyway, so this should not add (much) cost and with PPV being a neglible thing for them this should also not be a problem. Just do the Hall of Fame on Thursday, Takeover on Friday and Mania on Saturday and Sunday at keep those shows to 4 h (incl. the pre-show).

I'm also just really exhausted by the WWE "big match" style. Love Rock/Austin and Taker/Shawn, but it's just boring at this point. Honestly think a lot of the fatigue is Cena doing that in all his big matches, but maybe that's just me.

22 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

WM IV came on at like 3pm Eastern I think. This wouldn't be so bad if they did those old start times of like 1 or 4pm.

This is why they can do a live U.K. show. Everyone in the States is used to being ready for football and baseball at these times anyways. 

Obviously 1pm (est) would be best for Mania. But they could pull off a 4pm show for something shorter. I mean the Greatest Rumble is on at noon in a few weeks. 

12 minutes ago, Robert s said:

12:11 AM ET

At one point they should realize that 7 h shows are doomed to die are horrible death the last 90 - 120 minutes, even under the best of circumstances. If they really want to have that much at Mania they should start considering splitting the thing into two shows. The way everything is setup now this should work. They will be able to fill the domes both nights, the domes are booked for the whole week anyway, so this should not add (much) cost and with PPV being a neglible thing for them this should also not be a problem. Just do the Hall of Fame on Thursday, Takeover on Friday and Mania on Saturday and Sunday at keep those shows to 4 h (incl. the pre-show).

If I'm not mistaken amount of wrestlers that WWE has hired is growing so even splitting it into two days is only a temporary solution. I wonder how they'll try to cram everyone on those smaller PPVs now that they are not brand exclusive? At some point I think that their approach of "everyone needs to be booked" will have to be changed.

8 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

This is why they can do a live U.K. show. Everyone in the States is used to being ready for football and baseball at these times anyways. 

Obviously 1pm (est) would be best for Mania. But they could pull off a 4pm show for something shorter. I mean the Greatest Rumble is on at noon in a few weeks. 

You’re opening the door for a ten hour show.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The only reason you make a heel unstoppable is to get over a face.

They should start with attempting to get over a face that people want to see.   Reigns is very good but they've wasted years on this with lukewarm results. I felt Braun was the guy but for whatever reason they didn't want that. 

When they started emphasizing that Asukas streak was being counted for every match, including the mixed match challenge, I knew it wasn’t meant to last much longer.

And they’re going to make a serious push to see if the women can main event next year with Ronda and Charlotte was her most likely opponent for that 

The Stylea-Nakamura match wasn’t bad, but I thought it was kinda average.  Those two definitely have a better match in them.

On the plus side, that match totally validated Meltzer’s “Better in Japan” bias, lol.

I think undefeated Asuka vs. Ronda could have definitely headlined SummerSlam this year.  The only reason why Charlotte is the best choice now is because she's entered the territory that y'all used to say about Hunter..  in that he "should" lose but the outcome is in jeopardy because politics. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think undefeated Asuka vs. Ronda could have definitely headlined SummerSlam this year.  The only reason why Charlotte is the best choice now is because she's entered the territory that y'all used to say about Hunter..  in that he "should" lose but the outcome is in jeopardy because politics. 

If the endgame was Charlotte/Ronda then having Charlotte win at Mania this year against “the best” sets her up as the biggest boss for Ronda for next years show. I don’t think that streak was ever going to make it to Summerslam

• Like 1

So now basically people are saying Styles vs Nakamura should have been the opener?

I think Wrestlemania kinda is what it is. When you have 5 hours of primary content a week, what do you with a problem like Wrestlemania? I mean, yeah a couple of the matches could have been cut (I think I would have waited until Backlash for Bryan's return quite honestly) but WITH A 4 hour Royal Rumble PPV where else is there to go but 5 hours? And if you start doing skits, then peeps complain it's an extended RAW.

Just now, ComingToAmerica said:

So now basically people are saying Styles vs Nakamura should have been the opener?

Two popular guys delivered a whatever match instead of instant classic so now we have people rationalizing why it was great anyway or how they were fucked due to WM being too long or whatever else.

If it was opener we probably would have same people complaining about how WWE didn't have any faith in them and obviously WWE didn't allow them to steal the show since they were opening it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rows said:

If the endgame was Charlotte/Ronda then having Charlotte win at Mania this year against “the best” sets her up as the biggest boss for Ronda for next years show. I don’t think that streak was ever going to make it to Summerslam

Asuka's streak served a purpose, but it's time to move on. She'll probably go to Smackdown and as long as she's vaguely protected she'll be just fine.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a rematch and that's when Asuka wins the title and Carmella finally cashes. I don't think anyone wanted Carmella winning the belt of an undefeated Asuka (and if Carmella doesn't successfully cash-in, she's dead in the water and it doesn't achieve anything much).

• Like 1

The only issue I had at all with Asuka losing is if you are going to have her tap out - couldn't Charlotte have worked over her leg a little? Or maybe Asuka tweaks it on a fall or something?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

OH!

Totally forgot until now

Other Mania highlight - Aidan English shaving his head AFTER the Andre but BEFORE coming out for the US Title Match

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The only issue I had at all with Asuka losing is if you are going to have her tap out - couldn't Charlotte have worked over her leg a little? Or maybe Asuka tweaks it on a fall or something?

It felt like they ran to the finish a bit, but I guess it might be that thing where they try to rebuild a finish (yeah yeah yeah I know). See also: Styles Clash.

Regarding the Nakamura/Styles match: Kinda wonder if AJ is still hurt, which might have biased them towards a vaguely turn-based match in front of a crowd that was expecting—and had seen all weekend—a workrate spectacle. Or maybe they had precisely the match they always wanted, and it just didn’t work, because “dream match” implies a certain style, pace, and finishing run to many of the sort of fans in the building.

Still, heel Shinsuke is the one people wanted all along, even if they didn’t know it.