DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

When I praised the presentation of WrestleMania, the set and entrances, I forgot to mention the strobe lighting in the ring:

takercena.jpg

Also the welcome return of the end of show video package recapping the night's events.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Brysynner said:

31 had a better main event, a better Daniel Bryan match, a better Seth Rollins match, a better Randy Orrin match.

32 had a better women’s match and a better Taker match.

33 has a better Triple H match, better Reigns match, better Taker match, better RAW Women’s match.

31: I agree with the main event, I agree with DB. The other two are just the same thing twice, so stop. And I'm talking about consistency over hours of entertainment.

32: Longer Taker match where I need to endure Shane. No thanks. And I'd take Charlotte-Asuka over the three way. Even still, consistent entertainment is an issue. That Rock segment and main event did me in.

33: There was no true HHH match at 34, so why are we comparing? Also, this year's was better. Also, stop separating performers in the same matches. Also, 1-for-1 comparing womens title matches after massive roster shake-ups? For shame. Also, lack of consistency. 

I don't agree with your perspective and I'm not sure we're both watching the same shows. 

As dumb as HHH/Sting was I'd still take it over the shitshow that was Taker/Shane at 32.

If you really want to trim the fat on Mania just make sure no one who is a McMahon by blood or marriage is in a match.

And yes, I realize that the mixed tag was one of the better matches tonight but it could have been a lot better if the other participants were non-broken down regulars who were Authority proxies or some such thing.

• Like 1

I don't know about anyone else, but I got very nervous when it looked like Daniel Bryan was clutching his head after that top rope missile drop kick. I hope he will be OK going forward. At least he didn't do that damn diving head butt.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

31: I agree with the main event, I agree with DB. The other two are just the same thing twice, so stop. And I'm talking about consistency over hours of entertainment.

32: Longer Taker match where I need to endure Shane. No thanks. And I'd take Charlotte-Asuka over the three way. Even still, consistent entertainment is an issue. That Rock segment and main event did me in.

33: There was no true HHH match at 34, so why are we comparing? Also, this year's was better. Also, stop separating performers in the same matches. Also, 1-for-1 comparing womens title matches after massive roster shake-ups? For shame. Also, lack of consistency. 

I don't agree with your perspective and I'm not sure we're both watching the same shows. 

You’re right 34 had consistency because it consistently sucked.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Oh God, 32 was awful. I mean, each of the last two have been even longer, but 32 felt like it was 12 hours. 

Last year was up and down. The booking was a hell of a lot better then this year, and it definitely didn't have nearly add ever much awful packed together as the back stretch of tonight.

30 really only had one match I particularly liked. Bryan getting his big win probably pushed it into the top half of Manias for me, but not by much. 

31 is the only one since 24 I thought was an actual good show end to end. Like, there was nothing I disliked on that show. It was 4+ hours that felt like two.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

How about we ditch both battle royals, add Bayley/Sasha to the pre show but give the US title the Andre time. 

I'd have taken one Bayley/Sasha Banks match on the pre-show over both Battle Royals. Making the Battle Royals an annual thing was dumb.

The Asuka/Charlotte storyline was so weird. Charlotte, the champion and woman with the most dominant run since the (r)evolution started, is filled with self-doubt because she's facing the dreaded Asuka and so she drops a match to Natalya as the doubt manifests itself in her performances. She comes back and avenges her loss, regains her confidence and beats the undefeated favourite. But what turned around for her? Getting dental surgery? It's like a shitty abridged version of Rocky 3 where they take out the loss and just keep the fun parts. I have no issue with Charlotte ending the streak (though it should've been Ronda in a long way down the road) but at least in a rematch at Summerslam or something. This story felt incomplete and weird despite the match being one of, if not the best women's matches on the main roster I've seen and not all that far behind Brooklyn. And fuck off with that nonsense of Charlotte was ready.

• Like 5

I'll grant everyone this: I'm in a good mood and this show hit me at the right time. So I'm probably ranking it higher than it deserves. It just ticked a tonne of boxes and didn't shit the bed too terribly. I call that a win. 

Under a microscope, I'm already walking back my shit talk on 31. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I got very nervous when it looked like Daniel Bryan was clutching his head after that top rope missile drop kick. I hope he will be OK going forward. At least he didn't do that damn diving head butt.

Yeah, I wasn't keen on the top rope missile drop kick showing up. I noticed Bryan didn't do his usual suicide dive but a baseball slide instead. Diving head butt needs to be put to pasture.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

You’re right 34 had consistency because it consistently sucked.

I got a great opener, Charlotte-Asuka, Bryan in a ring again, decent world title matches, a Nak turn, the Ronda match, the shit with Braun, and so on....

I don't feel bad about what I got tonight. 

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'll grant everyone this: I'm in a good mood and this show hit me at the right time. So I'm probably ranking it higher than it deserves. It just ticked a tonne of boxes and didn't shit the bed too terribly. I call that a win. 

Under a microscope, I'm already walking back my shit talk on 31. 

31 looked really mediocre going into it but, if not just for one night, everything more or less clicked and it was a really, really good show. Even Randy Orton did something spectacular and memorable.

And yeah, Bryan scared me deeply with the head clutching following the drop kick. Cut that shit out, guy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

31 looked really mediocre going into it but, if not just for one night, everything more or less clicked and it was a really, really good show. Even Randy Orton did something spectacular and memorable.

I agree with this. The Taker match being nothing and the Sting match being what it was left a sour taste in my mouth. But the main almost drags the card to greatness. 

Fuck Brock for trying to recreate "Suplex city, bitch" tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I agree with this. The Taker match being nothing and the Sting match being what it was left a sour taste in my mouth. But the main almost drags the card to greatness. 

Fuck Brock for trying to recreate "Suplex city, bitch" tonight. 

Bonus marks for Rusev Tank.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

That literally was never an option. Everyone gets booked. Period. End of story. 

Most everyone..  I don't think I saw the other cruiserweights in that battle royal.  I think you and @TheVileOne are arguing two different points.  I agree with you that pretty much everyone is getting booked but I agree with him that finding time for things like Sasha/Bayley is something they certainly could have done.   I've argued this to death on here but when I look at those two and also Becky and probably Naomi I see people who are making money for WWE.  They are certainly making WWE at least as much money as the dudes in the midcard like the Jinder,  Roode, Bludgeon Brothers,  etc.  so why are they not on the main card. 

• Like 2

If Asuka losing cleanly like that was the only question mark from this show, I'd gladly defend, as I've talked up in the lead up that it is the logical thing to happen (although realistically, fluke pin and THEN decisive victory should have occurred in the program).

Instead, it's arguably not in the top 5 most questionable things that happened on the show, and therefore, it's not my hill to die on.

I started the show late so I only just finished now.

Andre Battle Royal - forgettable though it was kind of neat Matt won. I kind of like Bray aligning with him.

Cedric/Ali - Good while it lasted but definitely felt too short. Felt like it was only just kicking into gear.

Women's Battle Royal - Ok match. I wish they did more with Sasha vs. Bayley. I like that Naomi won.

Miz vs. Balor vs. Rollins - Fun match though I think Finn should have won

Charlotte/Asuka - Was damn near great. I wish they had another few minutes. I'm fine with Asuka losing. Charlotte beating her here was believable, and I don't think they would have been able to keep up momentum for the streak up. Excitement for Asuka's matches had already partially died because of it. This was the hottest the audience has been for her since the Ember match in Brooklyn. I was fine with the post match stuff. Still, I was hoping Asuka's streak ending would lead to crazy clown face Asuka. The stuff with Cena leaving post match was fine. It just shouldn't have been this match where it happened.

Orton/Jinder/Roode/Rusev - Was a match. Jinder shouldn't have won.

Anghle/Rousey vs. HHH/Steph - This was a fantastic spectacle. I wasn't expecting anything terrible, but Rousey looked way better than I would have guessed. Step was awesome as a cheapshot artist and being scared shitless of Ronda whenever she got too close to escape her. I loved damn near everything about this one. I'm looking forward to seeing what else they can mange with Rousey.

Harper/Rowan vs. New Day vs. Usos - I felt sorry for these guys. This was kind of a death slot having to follow up Rousey's debut. Still this was fun with BB just murdering everyone. Hopefully whatever stip rematch we get gives them more of a chance to shine.

Taker/Cena - Loved the stuff with Elias leading to Taker's actual appearance. The squash match was just weird though also somehow amusing. Like I should be pissed, but I'm perfectly fine with it for some reason.

Bryan/Shane vs. Owens/Zayn - Thought this was fun. Dug the sneak attack. Dug Shane getting the beatdown before Bryan miraculous save and eventual hot tag. This was kind of perfect with its set up. That said these matches continue to make me worried about Shane.

Nia/Alexa - This was far better than I thought it would be. I was expecting/hoping for a squash, but they managed a nice match with Alexa's heeling it up perfectly.

Styles/Nakamura - Thought this was pretty good though you could feel the crowd was kind of exhausted by this point. I would have preferred nakamura won, but I expected him to lose after the build presented him as so damn cocky. Not sure how I feel about the heel turn.

Braun and kid from the audience winnign the belt was just weird and I fast forwarded through the match itself.

Lesnar/Reigns - I feel sorry for Reigns. At this point they just seem to want him to fail. it just feels hard to fail this damn badly w/o it being on purpose at some point.

The layout for the show wasn't great. Rousey's match probably happened just a pinch too early. Taker/Cena I suspect messed with the crowd a bit as well. I get why the match happened so early it was still the biggest match on the card so having it there and short in the first place wasn't the best of ideas. Roman/Brock getting the last spot was moronic. No matter how the match went the crowd was not going to give a shit. Way too many hardcores who hate Reigns go to WM for that. The middle spot might have given it something resembling a chance to not fail.

I'm with the people who have mentioned that WM needs to turn into a two day event. The roster is just too damn big at this point and there was more than enough big matches that could have been spread out over two days. The 7+ hour event is just too damn long and exhaust the audience too much.

Charlote/Asuka, Angle/Rousey vs. HHH/Steph, and Styles/Nakamura were easily the best matches. Out of them I can't choose between Charlotte/Asuka & the mixed tag for my favorite.

I think this was a good show up until the Nakamura/Angle match. Braun's match/angle was just too weird and Roman/Brock was terrible. Overall the show was solid, but again too damn long.