DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

10 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

I very much feel you on the Asuka thing. Not that she lost, but what a shitty way to end the streak. And then she cuts an even shittier promo to make the whole thing cringier than it already was.

10 minutes ago, Black Angel said:

Yeah. Feel cheated for some reason.

10 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I don't mind her streak ending because excessive winning streaks/title reigns are something I really can't stand as they come of as so forced and lead to obnoxious booking decisions.  The match itself was fantastic and I don't have any complaints about it.  Fuck Cena for interrupting the end though.  And Jinder winning the title was bullshit.

Cheers lads. Wasn't sure if it was me feeling that coupled with no sleep in 24+ hours. I hated all that and I don't often feel like that with wrestling.

Just now, Rick said:

Cena can blame the loss on the two miller lites he had during the show. Seriously though, Cena is in Hogan/Austin/Rock territory, he shouldn't be getting squashed like that. Taker looked good, slick, fast, immobile. 

You clearly had more than two Miller Lites.  Taker was barely surviving doing what he was doing.  There's a reason that match lasted three minutes.

Okay, match by match anaylasis.

Andre Battle Royal was a thing. No surprise entrants. Hardy/Wyatt angle was eh. It was... there.

Cruiserweight Title Match was a minor letdown.  It was solid, but it felt like it was told to finish just as they were about to really go crazy. Hope we get a rematch on 205 were they can go 20.

Womens Battle Royal was good! The NXT girls got to show some cool shit, Naomi was a good surprise winner, I was down.

Triple Threat to open was good shit, and I say that as someone who doesn't like Finn or Seth. Just a very well structured Triple Threat match.

Asuka/Charlotte was fucking good shit. I wasn't in love with Asuka losing, but the match was good enough I could buy that being the match Asuka lost. Really really good shit.

The US Title match was mediocre and the wrong guy one. The wrongest guy won, even. Fuck Mahal.

The Rousey tag passed Big Show/Mayweather and Shane/Vince for best non wrestler match I can ever recall. Steph and Rousey were just fantastic. I'm actually wondering where it ranks for best 1st match performance ever. Even if they did rehearse the match, for someone with no real matches in front of a crowd working that well in a match in front of 78 thousand people is incredible to me.

The Smackdown match had a crowd that couldn't care cause holy shit what set it up was bonkers, but Harper and Rowan got a Mania main show match when Wyatt didn't, and that's funny, also they destroyed 5 people and took some belts. Good by me.

Cena's angle was going great, and it doens't bug me. I assume there's a chance they rematch with a slightly more competitive match next year. But it didn't bother me a bit.

Nia/Alexa should have been shorter. It wasn't a bad match by any stretch, but Nia should have won it within 5 minutes.

Styles/Nak was certainly very good, but tired crowd didn't help at all. Loved the Nakamura heel turn. 

Credit to Matt for my favorite line of the night with "God Dammit, work the apron, you little snot" over on PWO. I laughed for like 2 minutes. I didn't mind the idea, and they'll drop the belts tomorrow.

Main Event was hot fucking garbage. Brock's style is awful, Reigns isn't the guy no matter how much they tell you he is the guy, and blarg

• Like 3

If I was disappointed by anything it was entrances. I mean I guess the best were

1) Chralotte Flair was essentially a sado-masochistic dream sequence I may or may not have already storyboarded in my special notebook

2) Finn Balor because fuck anyone who didn't like that

3) HHH/Steph mainly because stephs hog was a big as his and they both had to hold a bunch of water in their mouth that whole ride down and also they had a seriously awesome group of Russ Meyer ladies as their bodyguards.

• Like 5

What I found weirdest about the US title match was that they did the two guys with their own ring announcers entering consecutively, and the one who got the crowd going didn't win.

I probably dug the other women's title match more than the Ronda-Steph show, but Charlotte vs. Asuka was probably the match of the night. 

The show was legit great up through the Bryan tag.  Everything after underwhelmed. 

Asuka/Flair was MOTN. Rousey was great.  Bryan is still the goat.  That's all I really wanted out of the show.  

The Nak heel turn was an interesting move and I'm here for it.  Even more here for this slow burn Cena ultimate heel run.  If that doesn't happen chalk that Taker/Cena match up as worthless, but I'm a believer. Cena will main event next year as a heel. Mark my words.

2 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

You clearly had more than two Miller Lites.  Taker was barely surviving doing what he was doing.  There's a reason that match lasted three minutes.

Which is why it doesn't make sense to build him up for Cena. It probably should have just been:

Elias comes out to sing

lights out...bong...entrance

punch punch, slam, brand-new-hip legdrop, tombstone, pin

cheer cheer done.

It would have saved us about 7 hours of dumb Cena promos over the last six weeks.

14 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I love that Nia didn't squash Alexa. I know people wanted it and that's great for character reasons, it means Alexa works as a shit heel. But she's just so goddamn good at working heel and her comeback was convincing and dirty and it made Nia earn this and keeps Alexa strong.

Hell I was sort of hoping she would win to have Alexa/Charlotte set up since they were practically invincible. Imagine the entrances for that.

The best heel in that match was the overly protective referee who kept obstructing Nia and providing openings for Alexa.

On a positive note:

The presentation from the set to the ring entrances.

Good opener in Miz/Balor/Rollins.

Bludgeon Brothers belatedly winning tag titles on the main roster.

Daniel Bryan back in the ring with me doing the Yes gesture at stupid o clock in the morning wearing me Yes! Yes! Yes! shirt.

• Like 4

As much as Ronda looked fantastic at pretty much everything in the ring and like a star tonight, they gotsta fuck off with that Homer Simpson makeup shotgun they applied to her. She looked like an 18 year old goth kid halfway through the match. And Jesus, Paige...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7