DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

The way he said it on the radio show was is that AJ is actually hurt and as of now he is working Mania

That being said - they are being very tight lipped about providing info

I wonder if it's his back. It was either a great sell job at Fastlane or AJ really messed his back up. He looked like he was in incredible pain and walked like how you would if your lower back were hurting.

• Like 1

AJ Styles is 40 and still wrestles like he does when he was 30.  Injuries for him at this point are not surprising.

It’s a harmless match on the pre show. 

It's WrestleMania. Screw the pre-show. It's clearly not harmless since it's just a lazy way to make sure everyone gets booked.

23 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

AJ Styles is 40 and still wrestles like he does when he was 30.  Injuries for him at this point are not surprising.

It's WrestleMania. Screw the pre-show. It's clearly not harmless since it's just a lazy way to make sure everyone gets booked.

What fucking harm is it doing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The battle royals themselves aren't harming anything.  There's some questionable booking decisions but that's always going to be an issue.  Like,  Rusev should be in the U.S. title match probably.  You've already made it a triple threat so why not add him and make it a 4 way.   There's a lot of women being underutilized as well.  It's 2018 and they still can't put more than two women's matches on a 14-match card. They do a terrible job with women who aren't fighting for the title.  A year ago Naomi wins the belt at WM.  This year she has no story,  endless matches with the Riott Squad and is stuck in a match that will have a 1/2 full stadium.  

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The battle royals themselves aren't harming anything.  There's some questionable booking decisions but that's always going to be an issue.  Like,  Rusev should be in the U.S. title match probably.  You've already made it a triple threat so why not add him and make it a 4 way.   There's a lot of women being underutilized as well.  It's 2018 and they still can't put more than two women's matches on a 14-match card. They do a terrible job with women who aren't fighting for the title.  A year ago Naomi wins the belt at WM.  This year she has no story,  endless matches with the Riott Squad and is stuck in a match that will have a 1/2 full stadium.  

True, but not having the battle royals (or similar multiperson clusterfuck matches) wouldn't fix those problems, it'll just mean those people don't get to work their biggest event of the year at all.

It's not like Rusev would be in the US title match or Naomi would be wrestling Ruby except, dammit, we need to fill these battle royals pal.

• Like 2

WrestleMania is the biggest date of the year and you want the wrestlers who work all year round to get on. There's only so much room with the size of the roster and how many championships there are. The two battle royals are better fixes for this than throwing something else together. Money in the Bank Ladder match was a great way.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The problem with the card is the fact that WWE has 9 titles and 7 of those are men's titles. Now add the special attraction matches (Rousey, Bryan, Taker) and you're already at 12 matches. Which match would you cut to add in another match? 

Now I do agree they've dropped the ball with the women on Smackdown in terms of giving the women direction and storylines.

• Like 1

I don't think I'm saying anything groundbreaking here but honestly,  I'd cut the U.S. title match altogether.   If the idea is the battle royals cover the people without a story then throw Orton, Roode and Jinder in there also because there is no real story and there's no heat at all. Cut that match and save the ~10 minutes they are going to waste.   Even the "GLORIOUS" stuff has cooled off.  Orton is a black hole.  Jinder,  well he had his chance and did not impress.   Maybe there's an argument to be made about the India market but do they really give a shit about this triple threat?  Are they fooled into believing that it means anything significant? 

I can't say the same thing about the I.C. title match as The Miz,  Balor and Rollins are all more over than the dudes in the U.S. title. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You're not wrong about that match having no heat at all, but people will bitch if you leave a title off the show.

They really should've done the Roode/Rusev double turn. It's insane they've left Bobby face this long.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think I'm saying anything groundbreaking here but honestly,  I'd cut the U.S. title match altogether.   If the idea is the battle royals cover the people without a story then throw Orton, Roode and Jinder in there also because there is no real story and there's no heat at all. Cut that match and save the ~10 minutes they are going to waste.   Even the "GLORIOUS" stuff has cooled off.  Orton is a black hole.  Jinder,  well he had his chance and did not impress.   Maybe there's an argument to be made about the India market but do they really give a shit about this triple threat?  Are they fooled into believing that it means anything significant? 

I can't say the same thing about the I.C. title match as The Miz,  Balor and Rollins are all more over than the dudes in the U.S. title. 

That's the one I'd ditch.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You're not wrong about that match having no heat at all, but people will bitch if you leave a title off the show.

They really should've done the Roode/Rusev double turn. It's insane they've left Bobby face this long.

That's never stopped WWE from doing that beforehand.  Not a hard or fast rule that all the titles have to be defended.

They'd cut Bobby and Jinder without batting an eye, but they wouldn't pull Randy. Even when he's got nothing going on they plug him into a match. They should make it an empty stadium match, film it at like noon, and play 90 seconds of highlights with a Kid Rock performance overtop of it. Get all of that shit out of the way at once. 

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

I wonder if it's his back. It was either a great sell job at Fastlane or AJ really messed his back up. He looked like he was in incredible pain and walked like how you would if your lower back were hurting.

Didn’t he screw his back up before the WrestleKingdom match against Nak too?

Still went on to tear the house down.

• Like 1