DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXIV

MonteCarl

3 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

There are nine titles to defend if you include the CW championship, plus the McMahons have to get their shit in and squeeze in some celeb and legends appearances.  I agree the battle royale gimmick is a bit tired, especially when it's less than 3 months removed from the rumble, but at the same time I guess it's good of them to try and get everyone on the roster a Mania payday/exposure.

I'd heard some mentions here and there of Moolah's misdeeds here and there but nothing comprehensive, is there a concise breakdown of the particulars anywhere?

Nine titles doesn't mean all nine have to be defended.  We've seen plenty of titles go undefended multiple years. 

You see why is it good?  I guess cause they get a payday.  But WWE hardly deserves a pat on the back for it. I mean they are making their guys work on Christmas Day now.  They aren't giving them insurance.  This is hardly some benevolent trade off. 

I'm fine with the battle royals but some people are being terribly underutilized with this gimmick.  I have a feeling that Rusev is going to be stuck in the Andre and I also am starting to think they may have Sasha and Bayley headline the Moolah which would be criminal.  

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Just leave some guys unbooked.  Not everyone gets to go to WrestleMania.  

It's literally the day of the year everyone is supposed to be looking forward to. Not just the money, but knowing it'll be your most watched match all year.

It's not like they didn't do this shit before 30, it just was usually the dark match.

Honestly,  I didn't mind the WrestleMania 5-7 model where there's a million matches and most of them are 6-7 minutes or whatever. You can argue that a match like Blazer and Perfect could have used another 4-5 minutes but in the 5+ that they had they both got a lot of shit in and Blazer looked great in defeat.  It was a good showcase for both men.  

I've talked about Rockers and Twin Towers a hundred times.  It's maybe 8 minutes but quite possibly one of my favorite Mania tag team matches ever.  Great pace,  it was somewhat chaotic..  Rockers put up a valiant effort and Bossman and Akeem looked like beasts.  Rockers bumped like crazy for them.  Rockers got in some cool double teaming early on.  One mistake cost them.  

Even Hercules and Haku.  It's about 6 minutes. Two tough guys just throwing bombs.  

Now a match like Beefcake and DiBiase is disappointing because they actually get ten minutes and most of it is rest holds and Virgil distractions. 

• Like 1

That said,  I don't know if they can get away with that in this era where pretty much everyone on the roster can go 15-20 minutes and have a MOTYC.  If they went 6 minutes the feeling would be they were short changed and deserved more.  Like if say the 205 Live finals gets 6 minutes the reaction wouldn't be a Blazer/Perfect situation,   it'd be that both men were "buried"  

20 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

So Asuka vs Bliss then?

No Asuka vs Charlotte - Asuka made her choice at Fastlane and they have since confirmed it multiple times

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No Asuka vs Charlotte - Asuka made her choice at Fastlane and they have since confirmed it multiple times

Just messing with you, dude. I know the Mania matches now.

Can’t wait for Jax vs Asuka. 

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - if you are the type to read into things, Iconic Duo was in the video package for the women’s battle royal

I noticed Shayna, Kairi, and Ember as well.

Shayna should be held back from this unless she's winning.  She's a natural feud for Rousey and can be brought up post Mania with a lot more hype and time to build the character up.

It is more likely just gonna be the make good for all the NXT women who were supposed to be in the Royal Rumble and got bounced when they decided to do almost all "legends"

You have 16 women available on the main roster already (counting Alicia Fox and the Bellas)

So you really only need 4 or 5 women from NXT (I doubt they go beyond 20)

Iconic Duo, Nikki Cross and Aliyah get you there

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

Shayna should be held back from this unless she's winning.  She's a natural feud for Rousey and can be brought up post Mania with a lot more hype and time to build the character up.

Feud? I assume Shayna comes up when Rousey inevitable turns heel so they terrorize the division together..

Or she comes in pissed she had to start at the bottom because she's not the famous one and Rousey gets to walk right into a WrestleMania main event.  

Either way works.

19 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Just leave some guys unbooked.  Not everyone gets to go to WrestleMania.  

I give you The Dennis Stamp "I'm Not Booked" Memorial Battle Royal. The winner gets a trampoline and a set of 5 lb. dumbbells.

• Haha 3