DVDVR Message Board

ELON MUSK IS MY FAVORITE HUMAN BEING.

J.T.

4 minutes ago, Control said:

futre In the fullness of time, there's no way this thread ages well.

It will age just fine, especially on the day when my progeny can proudly call themselves Martians.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Falcon Heavy has 1/4 the payload capacity of the Saturn V, which was created over 50 years ago, but America thinks space exploration is dull, so we cut the funding each year.

This is why we need Elon Musk to make space exploration cool again so people will stop being idiots and America can fund NASA and get its ass back to the moon.

MARS, BITCHES~!

It will be too late to propose intrasolar colonization once climate change and unchecked land development wrecks the planet.

22 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Falcon Heavy has 1/4 the payload capacity of the Saturn V, which was created over 50 years ago, but America thinks space exploration is dull, so we cut the funding each year.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

This is why we need Elon Musk to make space exploration cool again so people will stop being idiots and America can fund NASA and get its ass back to the moon.

MARS, BITCHES~!

It will be too late to propose intrasolar colonization once climate change and unchecked land development wrecks the planet.

Is NASA's issues just lack of funding? I recall my mother being fine when we stopped leading the charge on space exploration years ago. She worked at NASA for around 30 years. Its been years since I talked to her about it so my memory is somewhat foggy, but she seemed to imply then that NASA didn't really do things too well in general direction/management wise, and that exploration going to the private (ie crazy rich) was probably something that needed to be done.

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Is NASA's issues just lack of funding? I recall my mother being fine when we stopped leading the charge on space exploration years ago. She worked at NASA for around 30 years. Its been years since I talked to her about it so my memory is somewhat foggy, but she seemed to imply then that NASA didn't really do things too well in general direction/management wise, and that exploration going to the private (ie crazy rich) was probably something that needed to be done.

Without getting too deep into the politics NASA has the same problem as every other government agency in that a certain segment of our politicians believe the private sector can do everything better than the government can so they've spent 35 years slashing funding to gov programs, which turns that belief into a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It also happens that a lot of what NASA does (or did) in terms of basic research and engineering is stuff that is pretty uniquely unsuited to being done by the private sector.

Anyway, I guess it's cool that Elon Musk makes toys for rich people instead of being actively evil with his money but his ass is still going up against the wall when the revolution comes.

• Like 2

My experience working there back in the 90s was that NASA was pretty much unsuited for anything except perpetuating its own existence. I specialized in creating paperwork nobody would ever read and using work hours for grad school stuff

Still remember one of my coworkers being ecstatic about getting an interview at Walmart