DVDVR Message Board

Best NXT Matches Ever.

The Natural

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 7:26 PM, Greggulator said:

I have no idea of my list anymore but I really might put Shayna vs. Io in the cage on a Top 20 list. That match was so fucking rad. 

You know you want to do an update ;). I'll be. I invite others if they do so wish.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it's one of the Best Ever but Oney vs Itami had a tv match where Oney got juice halfway. They had a rematch one of my favorite NXT tv matches. I really like the last tv match Charlotte vs Sasha after they got called up.  Those are NXT tv matches I've enjoyed pre USA, we obviously will have tons more memorable TV matches with AEW being direct competition at them having a 2 hour program.

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

If we're counting NXT UK as eligible, this would definitely make my updated countdown:

WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff, 31st August 2019. *****

Very likely:

Rhea Ripley/Candace LeRae/Dakota Kai/Tegan Knox vs. Shayna Baszler/Bianca Belair/Kay Lee Ray/Io Shirai. NXT TakeOver: WarGames III, 23rd November 2019.

Bobby Fish/Kyle O’Reilly vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. WWE NXT TV, 13th November 2019.

---

I felt this year was a step down for NXT. 2015 and 2018 are the best years in NXT's history.

Edited by The Natural

@The Natural I just want to echo the love for WALTER vs Bate from the UK show. Bate just threw everything he had at that big ox and came SO CLOSE but in the end, WALTER was just too much. I, a grown ass man, was screaming at my tv for Bate to pull off the win, and felt for him when he just couldn't do it.  Trent and Pete coming out to help him up after the match was a nice coda.  Great, great pro wrestling.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, Ziggy said:

I don't know if it's one of the Best Ever but Oney vs Itami had a tv match where Oney got juice halfway. They had a rematch one of my favorite NXT tv matches. I really like the last tv match Charlotte vs Sasha after they got called up.  Those are NXT tv matches I've enjoyed pre USA, we obviously will have tons more memorable TV matches with AEW being direct competition at them having a 2 hour program.

Oney Lorcan(and Danny Burch, for that matter)quietly became kings of the short but great tv matches where going in you really don't expect much of anything, but then Lorcan just goes into THROW EM UP mode and packs all kinds of fire and violence into a 5 or 6 minute sprint. Burch/Lorcan vs Barthel/Eichner is one of the more underrated matches you can find out there from the past year.

bb0c3f594fddc171-600x400.jpg

Decided to revisit Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano from NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018 today.  The chain wrestling opening up the match, the counters, the near falls, the interference and the move setting up the finish. All of it made for a terrific match. One of the best in WWE history.

---

c7d6f0a61493f443-600x338.jpg

The Revival vs. #DIY at NXT TakeOver: Toronto 2016. Haven't seen it since my original list was made. Hell of a match with the Revival cutting the ring, cheating and #DIY battling on through that. Callbacks to their NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II match as well. This one belongs with the best tag team matches in the history of professional wrestling. Say yeah!

MOTDC are these.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...

2019 has come and gone so here’s my updated list of the twenty best matches in NXT history…

20. Rhea Ripley/Candace LeRae/Dakota Kai/Tegan Knox vs. Shayna Baszler/Bianca Belair/Kay Lee Ray/Io Shirai. NXT TakeOver: WarGames III, 23rd November 2019.

19. Adam Cole/Bobby Fish/Kyle O’Reilly vs. Roderick Strong/Akam/Rezar vs. Eric Young/Killian Dain/Alexander Wolfe. NXT TakeOver: WarGames 2017.

18. Aleister Black vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TV, 18th July 2018.

17. Bobby Fish/Kyle O’Reilly vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. NXT TV, 13th November 2019.

16. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II 2016.

15. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano. NXT TakeOver: Chicago II 2018.

14. Asuka vs. Ember Moon. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III 2017.

13. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens. NXT TakeOver: Rival 2015.

12. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Velveteen Dream. NXT TakeOver: WarGames II 2018.

11. Antonio Cesaro vs. William Regal. NXT TV, 25th December 2013. My 2013 NXT Match of the Year. 

10. Adam Cole vs. Ricochet vs. Velveteen Dream vs. EC3 vs. Killian Dain vs. Lars Sullivan. NXT TakeOver: New Orleans 2018. *****

9. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn. NXT TakeOver: Dallas 2016. *****

8. Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: New Orleans 2018. *****

7. Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: Chicago 2017. *****. My WWE Match of the Year, 2017.

6. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015. *****.

5. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks. NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015. *****. My 2015 NXT Match of the Year.

4. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff 2019. *****. My WWE 2019 Match of the Year.

3. Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn. NXT TakeOver: R-Evolution 2014. *****. My 2014 NXT Match of the Year. 

2. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Toronto 2016. *****. My 2016 WWE Match of the Year.

1. Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano. NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018. *****. My WWE Match of the Year, 2018.

Thoughts?

Edited by The Natural

By year:

2013: 1. 

2014: 1. 1 *****. 

2015: 3. 2 *****. 

2016: 3. 2 *****

2017: 3. 1 *****. 

2018: 6.  3 *****.

2019: 3. 1 *****. 

Sucks that Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley vs. Becky Lynch at NXT TakeOver: Rival 2015 and Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch from NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable 2015 drop out of my top twenty. 

Edited by The Natural

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, The Man Known as Dan said:

Welp I've got a weekend project them. TO THE NETWORK.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, The Man Known as Dan said:

*Ahem*

Dear anyone who doesn't view Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch as one of the very top tier matches in NXT history.

You are fucking wrong.

Signed, El Dragon.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:01 AM, The Man Known as Dan said:

My computer died and my pages are lost ?

This was added an hour ago and you came to mind. I hope it might persuade you to resume the project. I understand if it doesn't. Technology issues irritate the piss out of me.

• 3 months later...

Ef0tqQeU4AIRZlr?format=jpg&name=small

I'll be watching Sasha Banks vs. Bayley from NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn back today to mark the five year anniversary. What a match it was beginning with the entrances, Sasha Banks working on Bayley's injured hand including stomping on it as Bayley tried to reach the rope in the Bank Statement and the Four Horsewomen celebrating post match. *****. I do prefer the Iron Man rematch at NXT TakeOver: Respect though. That's also *****.

• 1 month later...

staredown-iron-woman-e1442009382116.jpg

035_NXT_10072015jg_1354-2360635290.0.jpg

Five years today, Bayley vs. Sasha Banks Iron Woman match at NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015. First women's match to main event a major WWE show. I've always preferred it to the NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015 match as it's better, callbacks to their previous match and Sasha Banks feeling including mocking Izzy snatching her bow and making her cry. *****. I'll be watching it later.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Time for an update:

20. Aleister Black vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TV, 18th July 2018.

19. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Velveteen Dream. NXT TakeOver: WarGames II 2018.

18. Adam Cole vs. Ricochet vs. Velveteen Dream vs. EC3 vs. Killian Dain vs. Lars Sullivan. NXT TakeOver: New Orleans 2018.

17. Asuka vs. Ember Moon. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III 2017.

16. Finn Balor vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day 2021.

15. WALTER/Marcel Barthel/Fabian Aichner/Alexander Wolfe vs. Adam Cole/Roderick Strong/Kyle O'Reilly/Bobby Fish. WWE Worlds Collide 2020.

14. Bobby Fish/Kyle O’Reilly vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. NXT TV, 13th November 2019.

13. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II 2016.

12. Finn Balor vs. Kyle O’Reilly. WWE NXT TakeOver 31 2020.

11. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens. NXT TakeOver: Rival 2015.

10. Antonio Cesaro vs. William Regal. NXT TV, 25th December 2013. My 2013 NXT Match of the Year. 

9. Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: New Orleans 2018. *****.

8. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn. NXT TakeOver: Dallas 2016. *****.

7. Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: Chicago 2017. *****. My WWE Match of the Year, 2017.

6. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff 2019. *****. My WWE 2019 Match of the Year.

5. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015. *****.

4. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks. NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015. *****. My 2015 NXT Match of the Year.

3. Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn. NXT TakeOver: R-Evolution 2014. *****. My 2014 NXT Match of the Year. 

2. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Toronto 2016. *****. My 2016 WWE Match of the Year.

1. Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano. NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018. *****. My WWE Match of the Year, 2018.

Edited by The Natural

• 1 month later...

Time for an update:

20. Tommaso Ciampa vs. Velveteen Dream. NXT TakeOver: WarGames II.

19. Adam Cole vs. Ricochet vs. Velveteen Dream vs. EC3 vs. Killian Dain vs. Lars Sullivan. NXT TakeOver: New Orleans.

18. Asuka vs. Ember Moon. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III.

17. Finn Balor vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day.

16. Bobby Fish/Kyle O’Reilly vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. NXT TV, 13th November 2019.

15. WALTER vs. Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT: Stand and Deliver Night 1, 7th April.

14. WALTER/Marcel Barthel/Fabian Aichner/Alexander Wolfe vs. Adam Cole/Roderick Strong/Kyle O'Reilly/Bobby Fish. WWE Worlds Collide 2020.

13. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II.

12. Finn Balor vs. Kyle O’Reilly. WWE NXT TakeOver 31.

11. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens. NXT TakeOver: Rival.

10. Antonio Cesaro vs. William Regal. NXT TV, 25th December 2013. My 2013 NXT Match of the Year. 

9. Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: New Orleans. *****.

8. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn. NXT TakeOver: Dallas. *****.

7. Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: Chicago. *****. My WWE Match of the Year, 2017.

6. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff. *****. My WWE 2019 Match of the Year.

5. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn. *****.

4. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks. NXT TakeOver: Respect. *****. My 2015 NXT Match of the Year.

2. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Toronto. *****. My 2016 WWE Match of the Year.

1. Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano. NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia. *****. My WWE Match of the Year, 2018.

Edited by The Natural

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Update:

20. Adam Cole vs. Ricochet vs. Velveteen Dream vs. EC3 vs. Killian Dain vs. Lars Sullivan. NXT TakeOver: New Orleans.

19. Asuka vs. Ember Moon. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III.

18. Finn Balor vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day.

17. Bobby Fish/Kyle O’Reilly vs. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder. NXT TV, 13th November 2019.

16. WALTER vs. Tommaso Ciampa. WWE NXT: Stand and Deliver Night 1, 7th April.

15. WALTER/Marcel Barthel/Fabian Aichner/Alexander Wolfe vs. Adam Cole/Roderick Strong/Kyle O'Reilly/Bobby Fish. WWE Worlds Collide 2020.

14. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II.

13. Finn Balor vs. Kyle O’Reilly. WWE NXT TakeOver 31.

12. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens. NXT TakeOver: Rival.

11. Antonio Cesaro vs. William Regal. NXT TV, 25th December 2013. My 2013 NXT Match of the Year. 

10. Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: New Orleans. *****.

9. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn. NXT TakeOver: Dallas. *****.

8. Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: Chicago. *****. My WWE Match of the Year, 2017.

7. WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov. WWE TakeOver XXXVI, 22nd August. *****. My current Worldwide 2021 MOTY.

6. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff. *****. My 2019 Worldwide Match of the Year.

5. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn. *****.

4. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks. NXT TakeOver: Respect. *****. My 2015 NXT Match of the Year.

3. Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn. NXT TakeOver: R-Evolution 2014. *****. My 2014 NXT Match of the Year. 

2. Scott Dawson/Dash Wilder vs. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Toronto. *****. My 2016 WWE Match of the Year.

1. Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano. NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia. *****. My WWE Match of the Year, 2018.

Edited by The Natural

• 1 month later...
FBGXS1qVkAclY9o?format=jpg&name=large
I'm late by a day as Bayley vs. Sasha Banks Iron Woman match at NXT TakeOver Respect 2015 turned six. The best Bayley/Banks match, one of the best matches in NXT history and I also think it's the best women's match in WWE history. *****.
Edited by The Natural