DVDVR Message Board

Them's Fightin' Words 2018 Predictions Contest

Elsalvajeloco

RULES:
You get five predictions. Your five predictions must be different from everyone else. In the case of someone posting duplicates, whoever posted it first will get it.
Can't be super vague. (ex. a UFC belt will only be defended twice. However, the UFC middleweight title will switch hands twice is acceptable.) I am not going to try to figure out what you mean.
Predictions of events that are pretty much a foregone conclusion will be automatically disqualified. Examples would be:

• There will be multiple title fights on UFC 226 in July
  • Ronda Rousey will not have a MMA fight this year and instead be at Wrestlemania.
  • A UFC show will be canceled/postponed/delayed/moved to another venue.
  • Rafael dos Anjos will get a UFC welterweight title shot.

Basically, X will fight Y who we already know is lined up to fight for a title anyway . I will let you know if you posted something like that. Lets avoid that because it's boring. Now if you altered one of the above examples to make it interesting, that would be acceptable. 

- GSP will come back for the New Year's Eve show to challenge the winner of Tyron Woodley and Rafael dos Anjos contested in the summer.
or
- Daniel Cormier will beat Stipe Miocic at UFC 226 and then come back down to light heavyweight to beat Alexander Gustafsson.

Those two would be deemed acceptable because that is not knowledge we already have. Remember, I will generally side with the more specific ones. A new rule going forward is no predictions regarding death.

If you make a prediction and/or alter one before the deadline that comes true, that will count unless I catch you making changes AFTER the contest deadline of 2/9/2018. Then, your entire set of predictions will be thrown out for this year's contest.
First one to three or the closest to three correct predictions wins. The tiebreak, if needed, will be the UFC champions on February 3, 2019 (the day after next year's SuperBowl weekend). No two people can have the exact same twelve champions on their list .

HW (265lbs):
LHW (205lbs):
MW (185lbs):
WW (170lbs):
LW (155lbs):
FW (145lbs):
BW (135lbs):
FlyW (125lbs):
Women's Featherweight (145lbs):
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs):
Women's Flyweight (125lbs):
Women's Strawweight (115lbs):

2014 winner: grizzlyedwin
2015 winner: Hail Sabin
2016 winner: DreamBroken
2017 winner: AxB

I will close the thread and save the predictions to a Word file before the weigh-ins for the UFC 221: Rockhold vs. Romero. So that's February 9, 2018 at 8 p.m. CST. 

This year's prize is a short sleeve t-shirt of the winner's choice from UFCstore.com.

Good luck.

1. Joanna Champion will win her rematch with Rose. 

2. Mackenzie Dern will win at least twice in 2018 in the UFC 

3. Nicco Montano will successfully defend her Flyweight title 

4. Sarah Kaufman will win an InVicta FC title be the end of 2018 

5. Ilima Lei Macfarlane will still be the Bellator Flyweight Champion by the end of 2018. 

HW (265lbs): Miocic 
LHW (205lbs): Cormier 
MW (185lbs):  Jacare 
WW (170lbs): Woodley
LW (155lbs): Ferguson 
FW (145lbs): Maxi Baby 
BW (135lbs): Marlon Moraes (him getting a title shot was my 6th prediction)
FlyW (125lbs): DJ
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Cyborg 
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Nunes 
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Nicco Montano 
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Joanna Champion

• Like 1

1. CM Punk WILL! win his next fight in the UFC

2. After a year inactive, Dominick Cruz will return to win two fights in 2018.

3. Jinh Yu Frey will bounce back this year with two victories and become Invicta FC Atomweight Champ by the end of 2018.

4. The finals of the Bellator Grand Prix will see Ryan Bader defeat Chael Sonnen

5. Frankie Edgar loses a fight via TKO or Submission for the first time.

HW (265lbs): Stipe Miocic
LHW (205lbs): Daniel Cormier
MW (185lbs): Robert Whittaker
WW (170lbs): Tyron Woodley
LW (155lbs): Khabib Nurmagomedov
FW (145lbs): Max Holloway
BW (135lbs): Jimmie Rivera
FlyW (125lbs): Demetrious Johnson
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Cris Cyborg
Women's Bantamweight (135lbs): Amanda Nunes
Women's Flyweight (125lbs):  Jessy Rose-Clark
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Joanna Jedrzejczyk

1: Across the UFC, Bellator and Cage Warriors, SIX (6) or more former Champions will regain their titles.

2: However, none of that will happen at Heavyweight, as both the Bellator and Cage Warriors heavyweight titles will remain vacant ALL YEAR, whilst Stipe Miocic will end the year as UFC Heavyweight Champion (so if he loses it, he gets it back is what I'm saying).

3: None of the following fighters will win an MMA fight in 2018: CM Punk, Mickey Gall, Conor McGregor.

4: Meanwhile, none of the following fighters will LOSE an MMA fight in 2018: Michael Bisping, Cris Cyborg, Jon Jones.

5: 3 or more UFC titles will at some point by held by fighters from Countries that were formerly part of the USSR.

HW (265lbs): Alexander Volkov (Yes, I know I'm contradicting myself)
LHW (205lbs): Jon Jones, with his shit together
MW (185lbs): Luke Rockhold
FW (145lbs): Max Holloway
BW (135lbs): Dominic Cruz
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Cris Cyborg
Women's Flyweight (125lbs):  Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Rose Namajunas

• Like 1

HW (265lbs):  Daniel Cormier.  I honestly think he beats everyone above LHW not named Jon Jones.

LHW (205lbs):  Daniel Cormier.  I think he wins the heavyweight championship, but if he doesn't...

MW (185lbs):  After Saturday there will be 3 people who can claim to be middleweight champion.  During the Jacare vs. Brunson fight Georges St. Pierre was listed as #4 on the UFC's list of middleweight contenders...when he's the fucking champion.  Bobby Knuckles won an interim championship, Rockhold and Yoel Romero are fighting for an interim championship.  By the end of the year there is no telling who is middleweight champion, but since I have to guess...Luke Rockhold.

WW (170lbs):  Rafael Dos Anjos.  I probably should guess Woodley, but he has to lose sometime right?

LW (155lbs):  Khabib Nurmagomedov.  Nurmagomedov is the best lightweight on the planet. . . the issue is he is always injured, or missing weight.  If he's healthy and 155 lbs. he'll be the champion.

FW (145lbs):  Max Holloway.  It is his time, and I don't see anyone taking his spot in the next year.

BW (135lbs): TJ Dillashaw.  I think Cody Garbrandt would win a rematch, but it really looks like Dillashaw is going to actively play defense on Grabrandt getting a title fight.  

FlyW (125lbs):  Demetrios Johnson.  He's the best all around fighter on earth.  

Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Cyborg.  I don't think anyone beats her, but if the Nunes fight happens she does have a chance.

Women's Bantamweight (135lbs):  Amanda Nunes.  She's the cream of the crop at 135, and the only woman I think is close is fighting at 125.

Women's Flyweight (125lbs):  Valentina Shevchenko.  I've never even heard of the current champion.  I'm almost certain that I watched her win the championship, but I have no recollection of her, that fight, or any other fight on that card.

Women's Strawweight (115lbs):  Joanna Jedrejczyk.  I love Thug Rose, but I also know how inconsistent she can be.  

Mike Perry goes undefeated in 2018 and becomes a legit PPV draw.

Jose Aldo loses his next fight and retires.

Eryk Anders learns from his fight with Machida, tightens up his striking and goes undefeated in 2018.  Along with the ascension of prospects Paulo Costa and Trevin Giles Middleweight will rival lightweight as the deepest division in the sport.

Tecia Torres goes on a run and fights for the Strawweight title

Yair Rodriguez comes back from his crushing defeat, goes undefeated, and beats a perennial contender (Cub Swanson, Ricardo Lamas, maybe even Jose Aldo).

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

HW (265lbs):  Daniel Cormier.  I honestly think he beats everyone above LHW not named Jon Jones.

LHW (205lbs):  Daniel Cormier.  I think he wins the heavyweight championship, but if he doesn't...

MW (185lbs):  After Saturday there will be 3 people who can claim to be middleweight champion.  During the Jacare vs. Brunson fight Georges St. Pierre was listed as #4 on the UFC's list of middleweight contenders...when he's the fucking champion.  Bobby Knuckles won an interim championship, Rockhold and Yoel Romero are fighting for an interim championship.  By the end of the year there is no telling who is middleweight champion, but since I have to guess...Luke Rockhold.

WW (170lbs):  Rafael Dos Anjos.  I probably should guess Woodley, but he has to lose sometime right?

LW (155lbs):  Khabib Nurmagomedov.  Nurmagomedov is the best lightweight on the planet. . . the issue is he is always injured, or missing weight.  If he's healthy and 155 lbs. he'll be the champion.

FW (145lbs):  Max Holloway.  It is his time, and I don't see anyone taking his spot in the next year.

BW (135lbs): TJ Dillashaw.  I think Cody Garbrandt would win a rematch, but it really looks like Dillashaw is going to actively play defense on Grabrandt getting a title fight.  

FlyW (125lbs):  Demetrios Johnson.  He's the best all around fighter on earth.  

Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Cyborg.  I don't think anyone beats her, but if the Nunes fight happens she does have a chance.

Women's Bantamweight (135lbs):  Amanda Nunes.  She's the cream of the crop at 135, and the only woman I think is close is fighting at 125.

Women's Flyweight (125lbs):  Valentina Shevchenko.  I've never even heard of the current champion.  I'm almost certain that I watched her win the championship, but I have no recollection of her, that fight, or any other fight on that card.

Women's Strawweight (115lbs):  Joanna Jedrejczyk.  I love Thug Rose, but I also know how inconsistent she can be.  

Mike Perry goes undefeated in 2018 and becomes a legit PPV draw.

Jose Aldo loses his next fight and retires.

Eryk Anders learns from his fight with Machida, tightens up his striking and goes undefeated in 2018.  Along with the ascension of prospects Paulo Costa and Trevin Giles Middleweight will rival lightweight as the deepest division in the sport.

I see three predictions. Can you specify the other two?

1. The UFC will get an offer for their TV rights equal to or over $250 million.
  2. Russian prospect Petr Yan has a great rookie year in the UFC. Both Yan and Zabit Magomedsharipov go undefeated. 
  3. Zuffa Boxing will be launched and run their first card.
  4. Cain Velasquez will challenge for the UFC Heavyweight championship after winning a tuneup or title eliminator fight.
  5. Brock Lesnar will have at least one UFC fight after his current WWE deal expires.

HW (265lbs): Cain Velasquez
LHW (205lbs): Jon Jones
MW (185lbs): Robert Whittaker
FW (145lbs): Frankie Edgar
BW (135lbs): T.J. Dillashaw
Women's Featherweight (145lbs): Cristiane Justino
Women's Flyweight (125lbs): Valentina Shevchenko
Women's Strawweight (115lbs): Jessica Andrade

40 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Just remember tonight unless someone beat me to the 3 points first Ilima Lei Macfarlane got me my 3rd point. 

If Mickey Gall didn't win this year and if Jon and Cyborg won on Saturday, AxB would have had a strong claim based on the degree of difficulty.

He would have gotten the USSR one with Khabib, Rose, and Valentina being champions. That one is kinda clever.

• Like 1