DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The best heel to come from The Real World was Puck. Puck vs. Pedro is probably the best feud The Real World ever produced.

The psych job Puck did on Ellen in the first battle of the sexes is the stuff of legend. Just breaks that poor kid down. I still watch it on youtube occasionally. 

• Like 2

Best obvious current WWE Themes: Roode and Nakamura

Underratedly good current WWE Themes: Roman Reigns (The opening is so good and it just pops or angers the crowd perfectly when it hits), Kevin Owens (Again the opening somehow just suits him perfectly), Dean Ambrose and AJ Styles theme (I was cool on it at first but it's won me over) and the Bludgeon Brothers theme is so simple but ends up stuck in my head for days.  

Most obvious bad current themes: Seth Rollins (The "burn it down" hasn't helped, but the way it just stops and starts results in Seth walking around to silence at times), Carmella's terrible Iggy Azalea rip-off, 

Underratedly bad current WWE themes: Everyone of Jason Jordan's themes are bad; I've never liked Samoa Joe's fat guy strut music, Cedric Alexander's Drake rip-off music; Tozawa's Kill Bill/Makai Club rip-off music; 

Actually a lot of the current themes sound like someone going "Make it sound like Lionel Richie" to which the music guys just go "I guess we should just straight up rip off Lionel Richie" (AKA Rich Swann's music). 

Most underrated amazing classic WWE Theme: Hulk Hogan's.  Not 'Real American' (Which is probably a Top 5 all-time WWE theme, but is so obvious) but this one

(I don't know if he ever game out to this but he should have.  As good as 'Real American' was, this one is just perfection)

• Like 2

Hogan's theme on that album was done by Jim Steinman, the man who created Meat Loaf's hit songs. It was used primarily for the Hulk Hogan Rock 'n' Wrestling cartoon. Steinman also recycled the song for Bonnie Tyler's "Ravishing".

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, Sky Blue Sam said:

I think it's a testament to how good Becky is that she constantly stays over despite being booked to be a bit of a loser. Her PPV record is pretty terrible, including losses to people like an untested Alexa and stale Natalya, yet she hasn't reached the level of crowd apathy that Bayley has, despite now being pretty much the #3 face on Smackdown

It's a shame how Becky Lynch is booked, she never won the NXT Women's Championship and lost the WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship soon after winning it. Despite her booking, she's still popular as you note and deserves better.

4 hours ago, caley said:

Underratedly good current WWE Themes: Roman Reigns (The opening is so good and it just pops or angers the crowd perfectly when it hits), Kevin Owens (Again the opening somehow just suits him perfectly), Dean Ambrose and AJ Styles theme (I was cool on it at first but it's won me over) and the Bludgeon Brothers theme is so simple but ends up stuck in my head for days.  

Most obvious bad current themes: Seth Rollins (The "burn it down" hasn't helped, but the way it just stops and starts results in Seth walking around to silence at times), Carmella's terrible Iggy Azalea rip-off, 

Underratedly bad current WWE themes: Everyone of Jason Jordan's themes are bad; I've never liked Samoa Joe's fat guy strut music, Cedric Alexander's Drake rip-off music; Tozawa's Kill Bill/Makai Club rip-off music; 

Actually a lot of the current themes sound like someone going "Make it sound like Lionel Richie" to which the music guys just go "I guess we should just straight up rip off Lionel Richie" (AKA Rich Swann's music). 

Most underrated amazing classic WWE Theme: Hulk Hogan's.  Not 'Real American' (Which is probably a Top 5 all-time WWE theme, but is so obvious) but this one

(I don't know if he ever game out to this but he should have.  As good as 'Real American' was, this one is just perfection)

Favourite WWE themes today: Shinsuke Nakamura, Bobby Roode, AJ Styles and Sasha Banks.

Least favourite themes today: Seth Rollins, Cesaro's (bring back Miracle!) and Dolph Ziggler's....even the silent one ; )

Ill throw Andrade Cien Almas into the "best themes" disucussion and I agree that the Bludgeon Bros theme is low key catchy.

I love Punk' s "This Fire Burns" theme. Hated Cult of Personality.

I think Im one of the few who liked Sting's WWE theme. The drums we really cool but his WCW violin Crow theme was perfect.

I hope Braun gets an upgrade. Keep the roar/Braaaaaaaaun hook to open but get him some top shelf metal and put him over the top!

• Like 1

Jericho's band is playing an early show on WrestleMania Sunday here in NH, and they're going to have Mania on after and advertising it like the bands are sticking around to watch it with the crowd. Odds of Jericho actually hanging out?

5 hours ago, caley said:

Underratedly good current WWE Themes: Roman Reigns (The opening is so good and it just pops or angers the crowd perfectly when it hits),

Pretty sure Roman Reigns' theme is basically Tazz's played at a different speed.

13 hours ago, Victator said:

I think David from Real World season 2 is the best heel. Just a vile human being all around. 

Is that the guy who muffed the girl in the face when she was trying to drive away?

11 hours ago, (BP) said:

Speaking of theme songs: I just heard Triple H's pre-Motorhead song My Time, and somehow I never noticed the repeated references to "Mr. Dunn." It's weird, because in 1999 it was essentially an in-joke for people that worked at WWF and fans that read the Observer. 

That's where young middle school me learned the term "mark" actually, from the line "The marks, the suits, McMahon." That one got a lot of play at the lunch table and on the bus.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oyaji said:

ROH Honor Club's launch is "imminent". $120 for an annual subscription that includes all of their PPVs but there are other pricing options including the ol' $9.99/month deal (sans PPVs).

Hmmmm. So, I was reading this and "Live events will also be accessible anytime as part of the VOD library which also includes complete access to the ROH TV Archive, and the VOD Vault containing historical events, compilations, interviews, and more"

So the question on my lips is the VOD Vault as it stands is terrible. So is that going to actually include the full ROH archive? I can't be alone is having a stronger interest in seeing old ROH, reliving the CZW feud & seeing Homicide's great chasing of the title at the tail end of 2006 and stuff before I got into it. I mean, you own the tape library, might as well use it. I know it's a very different promotion now but if they aren't going to utilise the library they'd be as well getting paid to put it on somewhere like Powerbomb or Highspots Network.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, (BP) said:

Speaking of theme songs: I just heard Triple H's pre-Motorhead song My Time, and somehow I never noticed the repeated references to "Mr. Dunn." It's weird, because in 1999 it was essentially an in-joke for people that worked at WWF and fans that read the Observer. 

I remember HHH using this really weird version of My TIme right before he switched to Motorhead. They took the lyrics out of My Time and used some kind of weird distortion. IIRC, it was right after it was revealed that he was the guy behind Austin being run down. It only lasted about a month before he went to Motorhead. He also had a really shitty theme during his initial post-DX heel turn. Found this video that chronicles his themes over the years

• Like 5

3 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Ill throw Andrade Cien Almas into the "best themes" disucussion and I agree that the Bludgeon Bros theme is low key catchy.

I think Im one of the few who liked Sting's WWE theme. The drums we really cool but his WCW violin Crow theme was perfect.

I hope Braun gets an upgrade. Keep the roar/Braaaaaaaaun hook to open but get him some top shelf metal and put him over the top!

Fun fact, "This Fire Burns" was originally for Randy Orton. I'm pretty sure there's a video floating around of him entering to that at a house show or dark match. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oyaji said:

ROH Honor Club's launch is "imminent". $120 for an annual subscription that includes all of their PPVs but there are other pricing options including the ol' $9.99/month deal (sans PPVs).

So for $120 you get all their PPVs and whatever else, but for $9.99/month ($119.88 total) you get stiffed on the PPVs?  So very carnie.  So very, very Sinclair.

• Like 1

Just now, Mickie Zeidler said:

So for $120 you get all their PPVs and whatever else, but for $9.99/month ($119.88 total) you get stiffed on the PPVs?  So very carnie.  So very, very Sinclair.

My guess is that you will get the PPVs, but not live. They'll be available later. 

But it's an important fact that needs clarifying. It's a decent incentive to pre-pay the year, if watching the PPVs as they happen is important to someone. 

I got burned on an annual Floslam subscription and while I doubt that I'd get burned on an annual one with ROH, I'm still tentative. I was planning on ordering the Supercard PPV because of Kenny/Cody, but the major appeal of their service is the library of shows from 2004-2007. I remember ages ago their halfassed ringside membership had most if not all of the older shows then they took down a great deal of them. It may be a breaking point from me early on whether or not they have those shows up as part of the service.

And for those that don't frequent the Japan folder, All Japan is also getting into this fandangled streaming game. I would reckon they don't have any of the NTV footage unless they've partnered up with them, but the company is certainly on an upswing from the bleak and dreary hole they found themselves in not that long ago.

43 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Fun fact, "This Fire Burns" was originally for Randy Orton. I'm pretty sure there's a video floating around of him entering to that at a house show or dark match. 

It was an episode of Smackdown:

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And for those that don't frequent the Japan folder, All Japan is also getting into this fandangled streaming game. I would reckon they don't have any of the NTV footage unless they've partnered up with them, but the company is certainly on an upswing from the bleak and dreary hole they found themselves in not that long ago.

What would be included in "NTV Footage"?

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Sting's "Crow" theme should have only been used once at Starrcade. That theme along with the continued use of the stoic Stinger character turned me off of him in '98-onward. 

You cannot beat "The Man they Call Sting". :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Is that the guy who muffed the girl in the face when she was trying to drive away?

No, that was Real World Seattle.  Season 2 is San Francisco.  Speaking of which, those of you that are so inclined to read such things should check out Judd Winick's excellent "Pedro and Me" graphic novel, which chronicles his time as part of the season 2 cast, and specifically his friendship with the late Pedro Zamora.  I know some folks are down on Winick's superhero work, but his creator-owned stuff is top-notch.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

No, that was Real World Seattle.  Season 2 is San Francisco.  Speaking of which, those of you that are so inclined to read such things should check out Judd Winick's excellent "Pedro and Me" graphic novel, which chronicles his time as part of the season 2 cast, and specifically his friendship with the late Pedro Zamora.  I know some folks are down on Winick's superhero work, but his creator-owned stuff is top-notch.

Season 3 was San Francisco. Season 2 was Los Angeles.

• Like 1