DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

52 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

The song starts with "awesome" and then becomes average.

I mean that's pretty much Miz. Damn good hype man, not so hot when he gets in ring.

So we're still pretending Miz can't work? That's still a thing? Cool.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Rick said:

Corbin's theme fits the glove for a good theme for a meh wrestler. 

On the subject of good theme songs the USO's theme is my shit (ish?). It helps that they're fucking great at the wrestling too

Actually, yeah, the Usos might have my favorite entrance music.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

I think it's a testament to how good Becky is that she constantly stays over despite being booked to be a bit of a loser. Her PPV record is pretty terrible, including losses to people like an untested Alexa and stale Natalya, yet she hasn't reached the level of crowd apathy that Bayley has, despite now being pretty much the #3 face on Smackdown

I wonder if Bayley would benefit from a heel turn, especially if this Mixed Match thing ends up turning Alexa face? 

"I'm tired of all your pity about how I can't seem to get it together. I am tired of my friends turning on me. I am tired of playing nice when I am mad inside. In fact, I am tired of all of you!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kronos said:

I wonder if Bayley would benefit from a heel turn, especially if this Mixed Match thing ends up turning Alexa face? 

"I'm tired of all your pity about how I can't seem to get it together. I am tired of my friends turning on me. I am tired of playing nice when I am mad inside. In fact, I am tired of all of you!"

Live look at Izzy after a Bayley heel turn:

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I think Miz is a great personality who works a solid style and can sporadically pull out great matches.

But dude is a far better talker than worker. Dude rarely going to have a match better than his promos. 

So Miz is basically a better CM Punk, then.

Which is funny considering their history. Miz becoming an internet/crowd favorite for his relentless hard work is the best kind of fuck you to whiny Phil. 

Yeah I don't know where the random Punk slander entered my mind, might have been the gif thread.

Seriously though, Miz rarely puts on stinkers, he's never hurt anyone, he can raise his game when required and pull out a PPV quality match. (I'm remembering those Ziggler matches last year which was the last time I actually gave a shit about Zigs). His recent matches with Roman have been great.

Miz has done wonders for Curtis Axel & Bo.

Miz is one of the best. Give him the big belt.

• Like 4

I've only believed The Miz's character a few times and they were both unscripted Talking of the Smack moments. He's always come off as a guy playing a character. Meltzer even commented on something to that degree in that he'll say a WWEism in the middle of a really good promo that will take you out of it. Punk was at least believably a douchebag heel or a lovable outsider. His in-ring stuff probably won't age well. I'm very afraid of going back and watching the Joe series from '05, as they were among my favourite matches at the time.

In other news, Voices of Wrestling have released their top 100 matches of 2017. Interesting pick for #1, as I would've had it under the 2nd and 3rd placed matches but overall it's a really fun list and a great way to expand one's horizons beyond WWE/NJPW (though the top 10 is very New Japan heavy, deservedly so imo). 

edit: forgot to mention I've been having a good laugh when Alvarez and Filthy Tom get to Punk's entrance in the Royal Rumbles they've been reviewing. Alvarez rips on Punk for his sloppy house of fire routine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rick said:

So Miz is basically a better CM Punk, then.

Which is funny considering their history. Miz becoming an internet/crowd favorite for his relentless hard work is the best kind of fuck you to whiny Phil. 

Yeah I don't know where the random Punk slander entered my mind, might have been the gif thread.

Seriously though, Miz rarely puts on stinkers, he's never hurt anyone, he can raise his game when required and pull out a PPV quality match. (I'm remembering those Ziggler matches last year which was the last time I actually gave a shit about Zigs). His recent matches with Roman have been great.

Miz has done wonders for Curtis Axel & Bo.

And, if you think about it, Miz started on MTV and Punk talked shit about it. Punk was on MTV not long ago and Miz took the high road. Fuck CM Punk.

• Like 2

It seems, generally, Miz’s Best stuff is probably the quasi shoot stuff about his “undeserving” career:

the one roving promo from years ago

miz vs DB on NXT

mix vs DB on talking smack 

and, as a good heel, there is always a kernel of truth in what he is saying. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2018 at 12:37 PM, just drew said:

I don't think Miz is a good worker. I think he is a competent one who is okay at schtick that your average territory journeyman could do better. He is worse than he was in 2010/11 but better than 2012/2015. So he has managed to avoid descending further.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:49 PM, Rick said:

He bombed in 2011 and ratings are worse than ever with him featured on TV. 

Cue dumbasses clicking on confused. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Victator said:

I don't think Miz is a good worker. I think he is a competent one who is okay at schtick that your average territory journeyman could do better. He is worse than he was in 2010/11 but better than 2012/2015. So he has managed to avoid descending further.

He bombed in 2011 and ratings are worse than ever with him featured on TV. 

Cue dumbasses clicking on confused. 

The best heel to come from The Real World was Puck. Puck vs. Pedro is probably the best feud The Real World ever produced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The best heel to come from The Real World was Puck. Puck vs. Pedro is probably the best feud The Real World ever produced.

I remember a few friends in High School wanted to make the 45 min drive to SF to try and hang out with Puck. The first antihero of the MTV generation.

Real World: LA... totally had a thing for Beth A... or was it S? The one thst wasn't a lesbian 

10 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I remember a few friends in High School wanted to make the 45 min drive to SF to try and hang out with Puck. The first antihero of the MTV generation.

Real World: LA... totally had a thing for Beth A... or was it S? The one thst wasn't a lesbian 

Beth S. was the straight one.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
beaten to the punch by John Austin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

The Dark Side Of "I'm a hugger!"

Replace the belly to belly with a bearhug, do the Bob Backlund 1000 yard psycho stare before applying it, take a few DQs for refusing to release the hold post match and/or put a few women out of action with it.

Then again, if they were going to give her enough push to make that work, we probably wouldn't be talking about whether she needs a heel turn or not...

• Like 2

Speaking of theme songs: I just heard Triple H's pre-Motorhead song My Time, and somehow I never noticed the repeated references to "Mr. Dunn." It's weird, because in 1999 it was essentially an in-joke for people that worked at WWF and fans that read the Observer. 

• Like 3