DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

5 hours ago, Ace said:

Extremely unrealistic ones. As well as overly large network subscription numbers at the time. WWE isn't getting 400 million.

There'll be more of a bidding war, and a lot will depend on where UFC goes. WME/IMG is doing negotiations for both companies.

Last time, USA was the only bidder so they sat on their low bid.

I am not sure the WWE pulls in that much more than last time.  They need networks interested in the demographics that they hold.  Food Network, History, Discover, etc.  They are all out.  Does a network that leans left want right leaning fans of wrestling in this environment?  Could they rope ESPN and Fox Sports into the mix?  ESPN is cutting back after overpaying for all of their content and discovering that six content channels are useless when you can only watch one channel at a time. 

That is the big question because those two validate WWE to some extent but Vince needs to be called entertainment for reasons.  

5 hours ago, nofuture said:

I think the speculation was that Facebook and Amazon would have to pony up $400 million since they're not tradition tv networks.

Internet companies need to learn to pay for content.  RIght now everyone wants content and they all pay basement level prices.  They have yet to learn that eyeballs equal money and the reason networks pay for sports is eyeballs.  The sports contracts are loss leaders to promote programming during the week.  How many shows are promoted during each football game?  

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

USA basically has Suits and Mr. Robot, right? And Suits is bleeding its main cast members due to the Royal Wedding. Do they have any other even quasi hits at this point?

Not really. They had a loaded lineup of shows a few years ago and they were the most watched network on cable.

Then they failed miserably to find successful replacements as those shows ended. Hence renewing Suits despite losing half the cast.

If USA did lose WWE they'd no longer be the #1 cable channel, that is true. Look what happened to Spike after WWE left. It was stuck in mediocrity. UFC never delivered what it promised. TNA was ok but fell off. Bellator isn't much. Now they rebranded as Paramount. They are on their last legs.

I feel like the wrestling fan demographic has changed so much since the territorial days. This is from a Business Insider article referencing (poorly) an article written in 2012 looking at the voting rate and political affiliation of many pro and amateur sports. WWE fans are generally likelier to be Democrats but have a dog shit voting turnout according to the graph:

sport1big.jpeg

I was more surprised by the UFC also being on the left side (less surprised about the turnout rate).

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The gimmick was make Darren great again. With Backlund. Etc.

I know, I remember it. My point is how can you make him great AGAIN when he wasn't that good to begin with. 

35 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Not really. They had a loaded lineup of shows a few years ago and they were the most watched network on cable.

Then they failed miserably to find successful replacements as those shows ended. Hence renewing Suits despite losing half the cast.

Suits is also down 10% from the previous year in the 18-49 demo

Mr. Robot fell off a fucking cliff (it is down like 30% in Season 3)

50 minutes ago, Matt D said:

USA basically has Suits and Mr. Robot, right? And Suits is bleeding its main cast members due to the Royal Wedding. Do they have any other even quasi hits at this point?

Law and Order, for 16 hours every day.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Suits is also down 10% from the previous year in the 18-49 demo

Mr. Robot fell off a fucking cliff (it is down like 30% in Season 3)

I feel like the kind of people who watch Mr Robot are the kind of people who don't watch Mr Robot on TV. That said, last season ruled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Chrisley Knows Best

I miss the days of La Femme Nikita and Silk Stalkings.

Going back even further, I miss USA Up All Night with Rhonda Shear and Gilbert Gottfried.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yup. But, ironically, wwe helps USA charge more for other shows, but raising their average rating.

Which is how sports broadcasting works.  Sports are the loss leader which draw viewers to your other shows.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I feel like the wrestling fan demographic has changed so much since the territorial days. This is from a Business Insider article referencing (poorly) an article written in 2012 looking at the voting rate and political affiliation of many pro and amateur sports. WWE fans are generally likelier to be Democrats but have a dog shit voting turnout according to the graph:

sport1big.jpeg

I was more surprised by the UFC also being on the left side (less surprised about the turnout rate).

Remember all those posts a week ago about Vince and the XFL going for the South and the built in fanbase?  Cue the screeching.  Turns out the fans skew the opposite.

-----

I think they end up back with USA.  The Spike reference is very good.  There are going to be tons of sponsored content articles about a bidding war but how many networks want their brand of programming?