DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

I know people hate Orton (I get why, but I’ve never had an issue), but when it aired, I remember quite enjoying Henry’s world title win he had against him. Forget the year, but I think it was Night of Champions. Been years since I’ve seen it, but I thought it was pretty decent. 

Backpacking on @HumanChessgame‘s post, I’m kind of surprised they never gave Henry a Rumble win. I mean, he was a pretty solid powerhouse heel for a number of years. He could’ve easily won (kayfabe aspect) and had a good run into whatever Mania that was coming up. He was a credible threat for a time.

Not to get all weird here, but he could’ve been the first black wrestler to win the Rumble, yeah? That would’ve been awesome. Mark Henry breaking backs was an awesome timeframe. They should’ve pulled the trigger and let him run with a killer power guy gimmick, like they’re doing with Braun now. 

• Like 1

There are several good TV matches with Rey and Taker from 06 Smackdown.

A couple really good ones with Booker T on Raw in November of 03 and at Armageddon that year.

A couple really good ppv matches with Show from 2011, along with the very good Orton matches.

From early 06 there is a great Smackdown Battle Royal for the World Title built mostly around Henry's presence.

Him and Rusev had some really strong matches in I think 2014.

• Like 2

I never knew he and Rusev locked up. I might have to check that out (if decent). He and current-day Rusev would’ve been awesome. Good promos/interactions and hoss matches with those two is a pretty cool concept.  

“What’s this ‘air bill’!? You can’t pay ‘air bill’ on Rusev Day!”

re: Henry's "retirement"

He is listed as an agent (like if you saw the TMZ story from over the weekend where he said Hulk Hogan would be welcomed back if he apologized to every single African American wrestler in the locker room - he is referenced as an agent)

However - he was asked and said he didn't think he wrestled his last match and that eventually he would want to do something again. (He basically said he wants to make sure he is home with his kids which is why he isn't wrestling at the moment)

So I could see him popping up in the Andre or as a surprise Rumble entry

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was during Rusev's foreign monster heel push. They are very much about getting Rusev over. They didn't go long, but they were fun.

The best part was that Henry was defending the American flag and, when Rusev forced him to tap to the Accolade, Henry produced a tear before submitting

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

ROH Honor Club hit today. I am trying to find the ROKU channel for it.  If anyone knows it please let me know. Once they list the Roku channel I''l be all in on the VIP

I think they said at first the Roku app was going to be a beta test only given to some subscribers.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think they said at first the Roku app was going to be a beta test only given to some subscribers.

I'm hearing the roku may not be ready til end of March. Ugh.  Why not do a free preview like powerbomb?  I heard all negative reviews so far. No shows prior to 2011 and half of the shows won't open when clicked. Other's have been double billed.  Seems like a nightmare. I really hope they fix it because I would have easily paid $120 if they had a working roku app.

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Didn't Henry complain about the Silverback name, hence why it didn't last very long?

He did, he said it was very painful because of things he was called as a child and asked them to drop it. Which I think they did. 

Henry should be in the Good Sport Hall OF Fame. Dude did a lot of stuff others would veto. 

• Like 6

I saw somewhere that one of the reason is because they were worried that "Crews" sounds too much like "Cruz" which is the last name of the Parkland FL school shooter.  I am hoping that is just "newz" trying to funny and not actually true because fuck that is stupid

13 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

There was also Terry Crews coming out as a sexual assault survivor back in January.

I doubt its that one causing the change since they were just pushing "Crews Can't Lose" as a slogan on Raw.

• Like 1

Okay - so here is what is going in regards to that story about the Crews name

That sportskeeda site claimed they received an email from the WWE stating the reason was the aforementioned because it sounded like "Cruz" and the connection to Parkland.

Ryan Satin reached out to the WWE and the WWE PR said they sent no such email.

Of course I really could have just stopped to typing at "sportskeeda" and that would have explained everything

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Didn't Henry complain about the Silverback name, hence why it didn't last very long?

Can you blame him? What black man, let alone anybody, wants to be called a gorilla? Gorilla Monsoon being the lone exception, of course.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can you blame him? What black man, let alone anybody, wants to be called a gorilla? Gorilla Monsoon being the lone exception, of course.

No, it was just implied earlier that he was okay with it, and my memory was the exact opposite.

5 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Easy fix if they dont want a single name - Apollo declares himself and his fans part of the "Apollo Nation" and slowly uses that. Works for shirts and is a nice little wink back to his indy days.

Either way I hope he starts getting pushed into the upper midcard/main event after last week. He handled himself well.

Agreed. I thought the announce team should have put him over more.

He looked really good.

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

meanwhile, Billy Jack Haynes made the Daily Mail claiming to have witnessed a double murder in Arkansas in 1987

Apparently Arkansas criminal politicians lured Billy Jack Haynes from working King Kong Bundy in Detroit (as a sub for Ken Patera) to take a day or two to do criminal stuff in Arkansas.

I know an unreasonable amount about this case. I saw the teaser for the special report on a local news station. They get to the end, and it's... Billy Jack. I nearly did a spit take. I was tempted to call the station and smarten them up about Billy Jack, but in the end I think they got it (sort of).

5 hours ago, AquariumDrinker said:

I know an unreasonable amount about this case. I saw the teaser for the special report on a local news station. They get to the end, and it's... Billy Jack. I nearly did a spit take. I was tempted to call the station and smarten them up about Billy Jack, but in the end I think they got it (sort of).

I'm not sure if Billy Jack looks more or less like a conspiracy theorist in 2017 than in the 1980s.

• Like 1