DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

43 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Oh, you didn't know? ;)

I saw that post and was going make that same joke but you beat me to it. Damn you Odessa *shakes fist impotently*

SD has been going downhill for a while now storyline-wise but I still think it's better than Raw as far as quality over quantity in-ring content goes. 

This PPV situation is going to lead to a bunch of excessively long shows with nothing but title matches (9 titles if you want to count the CW) leaving all the wrestlers who don't hold a title or are challenging for one to miss out on the payday and spotlight.  Undercard feuds are just going to be destined for tv blowoffs, or they're going to have more and more people crammed into individual matches.  I'd rather they just have the big 4 co-brand PPVs and for the other 8 months alternate between an SD and Raw event from month to month.

Although they've slipped the last month or so, the brand split and move to live saw Smackdown's ratings go way up. So I don't think they'd want to end it.

I'm guessing that, at least through the end of the current TV contract next year, the split and duplicate title are here to stay. Same as the late 00's after they dropped the split ppvs so Cena would be on every ppv. If the new contract ends up majorly changing things, then who the fuck knows?

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I like Five Man Fisticuffs and QuinTussle.

Quinn Tussle is a decent wrestler name. I dunno why, but I like it. There’s not enough Q names out there. 

Before you even say it, Eddie, Seven was a name and it sucked. 

• Haha 1

Did Henry ever actually retire?  Or is he just injured again?

The real question re: Black Panther and Mark Henry is, if Vince asked him to a Man-Ape gimmick and wear a white gorilla pelt to the ring (as in the comics), would he do it?  I'm kinda thinking the guy who did a BBC gimmick and let the company nickname him a gorilla would do it.

Oops, sorry.  Henry was "the self-proclaimed silverback".  'Cause it's a lot less racist if you let the company tell people calling you a gorilla was your idea.

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Fatal 5 Way seem to be the 'in' thing.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the titles merged again and to have a 'soft' roster split. IE Miz isn't contracted to RAW but he would very rarely work a SDL show, that kind of  thing.

Merge the WWE+Universal, both Tags and Both Womens. Then run with the IC and US titles as the 'main events' of the weekly shows essentially. Defend those titles on TV mostly and it makes some room on the PPV cards for a few more matches.

Not great but more manageable. SDL has been awful recently so if it means getting the RAW backstage team in there to help I'm all for it.

I have been an ardent supporter of this since 2015 when Cena was US champion and Bryan was IC. The brand split is fucking insanity to me and has been since the first moment I read about the idea in 2002 to the point that 14 year old me actually called the WWF to complain and Jesus Christ I wish that were a joke but whatever i didn't start gettin laid until the following year so I didn't have anything else going on really

• Like 1

I loved the split until they start blurring it more and more until eventually everyone worked RAW but the top guys skipped Smackdown. But they did that because RAW's ratings were slipping.

WWE ratings basically were consistent year over year from 2016-17, after Smackdown got a big bump with the split. So I can't imagine they are going to end it.

Bryan was supposed to be the top guy on Smackdown with the IC belt in 14, but shit happens.

I love the split ppvs. Did in the mid-00's, do now. But oh well.