DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

17 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I find it nearly impossible that WWE would pay Dean Ambrose $2.7M  a year.  What for?  There's no competition and he's not a main eventer.  What were the sources?  

I see a bunch of references but I think they are total earnings rather than base salary. The same sites have Cena listed as $8 million but isn't he at like $3.5M salary plus merch/PPV and so $8M sounds about right for his total.

So including merchandise and bonuses I could see Ambrose getting to that much.

The Ambrose 2.7 million comes from Forbes. They did an article last year on highest paid WWE folks

Here was the thing - Ambrose downside (or his base salary) was only like $950k. He just did 194 events which was by far the most in the company and then add in things like merchandise etc.

Plus the Forbes story said their numbers are based on what public documents they could find and “interviews with industry insiders”. So again - who knows how fucking accurate 

8 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I have a theory....

Hide contents

There are two six of diamonds.  One of which already has a signature.  He keeps them both on either end so she can't choose them and so he knows where they are at all times.  He switches the jack with the signed six, before folding it and putting it in her mouth.  Then he signs a six, switches it with the original jack and puts it in his mouth.  The six of diamonds is always in her mouth.  You can see him kinda futz with the switch initially and pauses to see if anyone caught it.  

I used to be roommates with a magician and can confirm this is 100% how it's done. It's a nice trick though. I never had the dexterity to palm cards in a convincing way.

22 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Fair enough.  And I wasn't there or privy to the investigation, so I can't know for sure what happened or who did what.  But... I kinda feel like y'all are jumping through hoops to give Swann a break he likely doesn't deserve.  There's a saying: when you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras.  Which means the obvious explanation is more likely to be correct than the convoluted explanations.  Sure, maybe the witnesses are all lying.  Maybe they were all drunk and can't see straight.  Maybe Su Yang secretly hates Swann and is trying to tank his career by paying off witnesses.  Maybe they didn't both jump out of a moving car voluntarily, but the brakes failed and they had to jump for their lives.

There are a lot of maybe's in Swann's situation, but for any of those scenarios to be true, you have to assume that everyone is lying or wrong EXCEPT for the one person who has a motive to lie.

I get that there's a sizable demographic out there that doesn't trust police, and some statistics seem to back that up, but it's a slippery slope argument.  Maybe Swann didn't get physical with his wife.  Maybe she wasn't really afraid of him and was just acting.  Maybe Chris Brown didn't beat his pop singer girlfriend.  Maybe the dude who says Hitler didn't gas Jewish people because no one can draw a picture of the gas chambers is right.  Maybe the kids in the Fla school shooting this week were traumatized and id'ed the wrong kid and the cops arrested the wrong kid cause they wanted to make a quick arrest.

If Swann is actually innocent of any wrongdoing, what is the most plausible alternative?  That his wife is gaslighting him for some reason and put on a performance to convince both the officer and passerbys that he was violent?  I mean, ok, I guess.  I can't refute that idea, but I can't think what would be in it for her.  Unless Swann didn't beat her that night but had a history of abusing her and this was her passive-agressive  way of getting revenge?  But that doesn't seem likely either,

I dunno.  I read this "Well, maybe the police got the wrong guy and the witnesses were wrong and you can't trust the physical evidence and this was wrong...." and I want to sigh and bury my face in my hands like that Captain Picard gif,  I don't know where it stops with this stuff.  Maybe Vince is right to give Austin a pass because he was a draw?  Maybe Debra was a member of the Illuminati and set Austin up.   Hell, maybe my account has been hacked and someone else is posting this in my name.   I'm not sure I can prove that's not the case, so you probably can't.

19 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I've known more than one person who was in a mutually toxic relationship where both parties were equally guilty of instigating physical and verbal altercations with the other.  No idea if that's the case here but in any case it sounds like an unhealthy relationship and I hope they go their own ways or find a resolution before things escalate.

Both of these are completely valid.

Part of the job in LE is figuring out what happened based on what's been told to you if there's a lack of concrete evidence (audio, video, etc.) We have a saying about situations like that: there's three sides to every story, what person 1 said, what person 2 said, and what really happened.

6 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I used to be roommates with a magician and can confirm this is 100% how it's done. It's a nice trick though. I never had the dexterity to palm cards in a convincing way.

KAYFABE!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I find it nearly impossible that WWE would pay Dean Ambrose $2.7M  a year.  What for?  There's no competition and he's not a main eventer.  What were the sources?  

He was WWE champ last year and in a main event this year with the Shield reunion.  

And from that story

Meltzer also noted that the belief within WWE was that the formerly brand-exclusive events would be increased to four-hour main cards with two matches on the pre-show.

Elimination Chamber on February 25th will be the last Raw-only event, and Fastlane on March 11th will be the final SmackDown PPV. Those shows will set up the direction heading into WrestleMania for both brands.

WWE's updated PPV lineup doesn't include Payback, which was scheduled for May 27th, or Battleground, which was slated for July 15th. Extreme Rules has now been moved to July in place of Battleground.

Here's WWE's PPV schedule for the rest of the year:

February 25th -- Elimination Chamber (Final Raw-exclusive PPV)
March 11th -- Fastlane (Final SmackDown-exclusive PPV)
April 8th -- WrestleMania 34
May 6th -- Backlash
June 17th -- Money in the Bank
July 15th -- Extreme Rules
August 19th -- SummerSlam
September 16th -- Hell in a Cell
October 21st -- TLC
November 18th -- Survivor Series
December 16th -- Clash of Champions

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Isn't more wrestling better than less? You don't have to watch them all live in 2018.

I like them having more time to build stuff which thinking about how iffy the writing can be in general I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing now.