DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Undertaker. What year(s) would you say he was at his peak? All the big names have identifiable peak periods but I was struggling to think of when Taker's were. Personally I think his best work was 02-04 but understand his Biker Taker run isn't everyone's favourite. As great as the HBK and Triple H matches are he wasn't exactly working full time so I don't know if you could point at that time period per se. Thoughts?

1996: 'Taker was able to show he could go, his feud with Mankind started here.

1997: Undertaker's Final Four match at In Your House : Final Four with Bret/Austin/Vader, vs. Bret at SummerSlam/One Night Only and against Shawn Michaels at In Your House 17: Ground Zero then the absolute classic Hell in a Cell match versus Shawn Michaels at In Your House 18: Badd Blood.

2002: vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania X8, the triple threat with Angle and the Rock at Vengeance and his match with Brock Lesnar at Unforgiven followed up by a terrific Hell in a Cell match with 'Taker bleeding everywhere.

2007: The feud with Batista with Undertaker winning one, Batista two and two draws. The WrestleMania 23 match is the best of them and was better than Cena vs. Michaels which main evented said show.

Final answer?Torn between 1997, 2002 and 2007.

On 2/20/2018 at 6:33 PM, Web Conn said:

I want to see R-Truth get one last real run before he retires. Maybe not a main event run but an upper mid card run with the IC title. But like a longish fun, 4-5 months. He can still be quirky and used as a comedy act but I’d like to see him taken serious in the ring.

Tag team reign with Little Jimmy!

; )

• Haha 1

Just one quick little follow up regarding the WWE PPV date changes

The dates cut are a 5/27 show in Baltimore, which was the Payback show, and 9/30 in Nashville, which was originally Hell in a Cell.

Payback will no longer be on the schedule. Hell in a Cell is moving up to 9/16 in San Antonio, was originally was Extreme Rules. Extreme Rules was moved to 7/15, which originally was Battleground, the other show that has been dropped.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

2007: The feud with Batista with Undertaker winning one, Batista two and two draws. The WrestleMania 23 match is the best of them and was better than Cena vs. Michaels which main evented said show.

I was out of following wrestling at this point but heard a lot of good things about their WM match

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

1996: 'Taker was able to show he could go, his feud with Mankind started here.

Even before the Mankind stuff, you had the Rumble match with Bret, and Taker's first good Mania match vs. Diesel. Not his best year ever, but certainly the genesis of them treating him like a real wrestler and not just a freak show attraction...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just one quick little follow up regarding the WWE PPV date changes

The dates cut are a 5/27 show in Baltimore, which was the Payback show, and 9/30 in Nashville, which was originally Hell in a Cell.

This is a real kick in the gut.  I was hoping to go to this and see the Smackdown crew since all we get are Raw shows.

I guess this is what I get for living in Baltimore.

49 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This is a real kick in the gut.  I was hoping to go to this and see the Smackdown crew since all we get are Raw shows.

I mean, the Smackdown crew still needs to run a show that day so maybe you'll get a House Show?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peck said:

I mean, the Smackdown crew still needs to run a show that day so maybe you'll get a House Show?

It's a possibility but instead it'll be a different atmosphere.  But I'm hoping they do at least that.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Great when it's the brand you want to see and sucks when it's not. Had experience of both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The Orioles seem like punishment enough for living in Baltimore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

The daily-ish "Andrew has the week off and might need rehab by friday" intoxicated wwe network binge post:

Rewatching the women's Rumble. Geezus this is fun. The only way I think it could've been better is if Bayley had entered like 11 or 12, stayed in a while, and at 29 we got the massive pop that would've come when the "light it up" song played and AJ Lee came through the curtain. That would've been the shit.

Speaking of CM Punk, watched his showdown in Chicago with Cena at MITB again. What an unbelievable spectacle. WWE should work towards getting guys big moments in their hometowns more often. Maybe the best atmosphere for a main event this decade. Just awesome stuff. And CM Punk blowing a kiss to Vince before leaving is...man. What a great "fuck you" moment. Too bad all the follow up would prove is that there's no "feel good" story too good for WWE to fuck up.

AJ Styles vs. Brock is just the good professional wrestlings. Perfect storytelling. AJ dies for all our sins and it's amazing. His hope spots are paced perfectly. @Kyuubi made a cringeworthy statement in another thread about AJ being the "Beyonce" of WWE. That isn't true. AJ is the Prince of WWE. Just without peer in terms of talent. Vince should be forced to watch Tony Kozina matches daily for the crime of not bringing AJ in before he did. 

Wade Barrett should've been a much bigger star. Solid in ring, great look, good promo. That SS match with Cena and co. just killed him dead. Why not have Cena just get counted out after that DDT on the floor? He doesn't eat a pin, and Nexus looks strong. Also, it's insane to me that 5 yrs or whatever later, that Heath fucking Slater is the last original Nexus member with WWE. 

Daniel Bryan was and remains the shit. Everything that dude does is cool. Everything.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Orioles seem like punishment enough for living in Baltimore.

Aw, that's just mean.  I thought you were a nice guy, Eddie.  But since you're Greek I'll give ya a pass.  :)

13 minutes ago, just drew said:

AJ Styles vs. Brock is just the good professional wrestlings. Perfect storytelling. AJ dies for all our sins and it's amazing. His hope spots are paced perfectly. @Kyuubi made a cringeworthy statement in another thread about AJ being the "Beyonce" of WWE. That isn't true. AJ is the Prince of WWE. Just without peer in terms of talent. Vince should be forced to watch Tony Kozina matches daily for the crime of not bringing AJ in before he did. 

I think AJ came in at the right time.  He still would have been awesome but his time in New Japan really tapped into a side of him that was needed to be a complete package.  Without all that he went through he might have been seen as at best an upper midcarder instead of the champ that he should be.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Aw, that's just mean.  I thought you were a nice guy, Eddie.  But since you're Greek I'll give ya a pass.  :)

That was mean of me. I'm not sure why I went for the easy target of the O's. Maybe because it's spring training and I've got baseball fever. I'll have to send you some loukomades and Mythos as a peace offering.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That was mean of me. I'm not sure why I went for the easy target of the O's. Maybe because it's spring training and I've got baseball fever. I'll have to send you some loukomades and Mythos as a peace offering.

Ah, two of my favorite things.  Amazing how many non-Greeks I got hooked on both of them, especially at my engagement party.

Shifting gears, who went to Wrestlemania XXX when they last did New Orleans?  I'm heading down there and while we're mainly doing New Orleans-centric stuff (bayou tour, haunted pub crawl, etc.) I'd like to see how things were when you went there.  I'll be curious to see how many wrestlers hit up Bourbon Street.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hope you like it. If you do, go for Backlash 2007 and Survivor Series 2007.

It's been ages, but I also remember the Cyber Sunday match being pretty good. I think I'm gonna throw on the SmackDown cage match right now for a lark.

Mania match was the best, but the entire feud wildly exceeded expectations. 

• Like 1