DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I like them having more time to build stuff which thinking about how iffy the writing can be in general I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing now.

The extra PPVs only made that an issue 4x a year, and there was usually more thought out build for the big four PPVs anyway.

Yeah, I watched all of those too. I think Joe is definitely coming around to wrestling - go check out the earlier podcast with Tony and Joe, and he's downright brutal in his dismissal of wrestling, compared to these videos where he's tolerating it and kind of somewhat enjoying it.

Also of note, apparently WWE offered Tony Hinchcliffe a spot on the creative team for a full year with the caveat being he'd have to live in Connecticut, and do a 9-5 job, so it'd stop his comedy career for a little bit. Obviously he didn't do it, but if I'm hearing all of this correctly - this was around 2014, and apparently during their meeting they told him the finish to Undertaker/Lesnar? I think that was the match he was referring to, when he said the fans in attendance didn't know but he did because they told him.   

Drew's "On the Sauce Weekend" part 3: Sauce With a Vengeance.

-Watched Dean Ambrose cash in on Seth Rollins. Damn what a pop. I have no idea why WWE refuses to pull the trigger on Dean long-term. Damn that was cool. Just look at Dean peering down at Seth after he hits him with the briefcase and is waiting for Chioda to ring the bell. Face is like "I finally got you, motherfucker." Sometimes WWE just run into these great long term payoffs, and this might be my favorite. Rollins made Ambrose miserable for a year, and Dean finally gets payback, by taking from Seth what Seth loves the most. Just tremendous shit. 

-Finally watched the Finals of the UK Tourney. I still think Kyuubi's obsession with Tyler Bate is a bit disturbing, but I get why he likes the guy. Kid is a prodigy. If he can keep his shit together, dude will be a star. I like Pete Dunne, too.

-Rewatched the main event of this last NXT Takeover. This is the match that kind of reignited my love for wrestling. I've never stopped watching the product, but shit has been so lackluster lately i'd kind of lost interest in the matches themselves. My nxt viewing has gone to nil since the last class got called up. I really enjoyed Enzo and Cass, American Alpha, Balor, Samoa Joe, those guys, and caught a little bit of Bobby Roode, but I haven't been able to raise any interest internally. I watched this the first time on a whim. I was bored and couldn't sleep, and good God was this a revelation. Andrade Almas might be in my top 5 now. I remember reading at one point about how badly he was floundering in nxt, but whoever that guy was, he wasn't the Almas I was expecting. Holy balls. And I'm not a huge Gargano fan. I think he oversells and is constantly trying to have "epic matchez" rather than tell stories, but he was game here. I also like how they didn't have Candice LeRae come to the ring with him. That would've telegraphed her going after Selina Vega. Instead, they had her jump the rail, which was dope as balls. I have a small list of matches in my mind that I show my wife when she gives me a hard time about loving this. This match has gone on there. She watched it, threw her hands in the air, and said "I get it."

-This years Rumble is one of the best I can remember. Dug just about everything, other than how the New Day continually gets jobbed out in situations like this.

• Like 1

I remember a few years ago I was going to the MSG Christmas house show and I was dreading the Cena-Orton main event. Then the match happened and they tore the roof off the place with a legit ****1/2 match that was incredible. Point being is that when he's in the mood Orton can be really great. Problem is when he doesn't care.

If they do decide to keep the Raw vs SD theme for Survivor Series, they really gotta bring back those dope half blue half red ropes from (I think) Bragging Rights. 

Curious now to see if there are 4 MITB matches with two men's and two women's matches. Maybe they have people from both brands in it and they pick the title like they do with the rumbles. Four would be Overkill.

Also, this means that almost every ppv event is going to be nearly entirely title matches, unless some are left off the show, devaluing them further. The boat was missed by not experimenting with the secondary or lower tier titles being main event during the brand exclusive ppvs in my opinion, especially with regard to the IC title with Brock being gone mostly and Miz being so fantastic lately

Yeah there was no reason that Miz vs Roman for the IC title couldnt main event a PPV.

Or stick Rollins/Jordan v The Bar with Angle playing into his 'son' wanting to be a main eventer.

Not to mention the number of women's title matches that could have main evented PPVs.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

can they take a page from NJPW and have secondary titles and feuds main event these shows while someone like Roman or Cena appear in tag matches or maybe just an interview segment?

I mean you have Sasha vs Asuka and you got a main event.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Matt D said:

Isn't more wrestling better than less? You don't have to watch them all live in 2018.

With 3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of Smackdown, 1 hour each of NXT, 205 Live & Main Event every week, plus a 4 hour (plus potentially another hour for the preshow) PPV every month? 36 hours of WWE wrestling a month makes me want to scream about the old cliche, "less is more". Sure, you don't have to watch everything. The 1 hour shows don't really have much to do with the PPVs. Even Raw & Smackdown are skippable because the PPVs tend to do a decent job recapping everything relevant to the show you're watching. But spreading your creative people so thin to fill all the content has a negative effect even when you don't watch everything. They have to burn through programmes quicker, they burn through gimmicks and feuds quicker, it's got consequences. Especially in a company where so much of it is channelled through one crazy old man. So yeah, "less is more".

If, somehow, the WWE don't produce enough wrestling every month for someone then I'd suggest that person would be hardcore enough to know that wrestling exists outside of the WWE, in which case there is literally more wrestling available at the click of a button than at any other time in history. From New Japan to small indies in places as far flung as Portugal & Australia. 

I understand why the WWE want to monopolise wrestling but I'm not a WWE shareholder.

15 minutes ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

With 3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of Smackdown, 1 hour each of NXT, 205 Live & Main Event every week, plus a 4 hour (plus potentially another hour for the preshow) PPV every month? 36 hours of WWE wrestling a month makes me want to scream about the old cliche, "less is more". Sure, you don't have to watch everything. The 1 hour shows don't really have much to do with the PPVs. Even Raw & Smackdown are skippable because the PPVs tend to do a decent job recapping everything relevant to the show you're watching. But spreading your creative people so thin to fill all the content has a negative effect even when you don't watch everything. They have to burn through programmes quicker, they burn through gimmicks and feuds quicker, it's got consequences. Especially in a company where so much of it is channelled through one crazy old man. So yeah, "less is more".

If, somehow, the WWE don't produce enough wrestling every month for someone then I'd suggest that person would be hardcore enough to know that wrestling exists outside of the WWE, in which case there is literally more wrestling available at the click of a button than at any other time in history. From New Japan to small indies in places as far flung as Portugal & Australia. 

I understand why the WWE want to monopolise wrestling but I'm not a WWE shareholder.

There's a difference between Raw and a "PPV" though.

I barely have time to watch any individual matches from each week that are talked about favorably here. It's hard to believe there was a time in my life where I consumed maybe 6-8 hours a week of wrestling as it aired.

It does help that there's so much content that really isn't worth watching and heroes who are willing to parse through it and pimp the good stuff. 

• Like 2