DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Next week on Deadspin: Jimmy Valiant, Scourge of Glass Coffee Tables Everywhere

"Candid Account of Cocaine Cuckold Chris Candido." 

Anyway, Lawler is someone I'm guilty of giving a pass to in the past, but he can go to hell. "I don't care how good he/she is at _____," is my blanket philosophy now for people that are clearly morally bankrupt. 

• Haha 1

A few highlights for those who (understandably) couldn't power through the writing:

Lawler addressed an undated letter pleading his case to “Lisa and Nick,” who are presumably Schweikert and fellow prosecutor Nick King. Several pages of past articles and correspondence about Lawler’s charity work appear to have been attached to the letter (they precede it in the file), which is handwritten with Lawler’s distinctive, all-caps comic book dialogue brand of penmanship. The letter begins by outlining his commitment to the community and various honorary government appointments before taking a bit of a turn.

“I feel if you did a background search on me, you would find that I have always tried to treat people with respect, from the smallest of the wrestling fans to the mayors and senators and I think they in turn would tell you that my word is good,” he began. “I also know that if you did a background search on the two girls in question you will find that one of them is having a sexual relationship with the other ones [sic] brother. That their mothers are both aware of this relationship. That she smokes, drinks, has been suspended from school several times. That she brags publicly about having numerous sex partners, has claimed to be pregnant, and has exposed herself publicly and has committed lesbian acts in front of witnesses.” Seemingly not understanding how a police background check works, Lawler continued by attacking the second girl who told police that she had sexual contact with him. “The other girl is currently involved in a sexual relationship with a 40 year old neighbor whom she babysits for and also was caught having sex with a black man,” wrote Lawler. “Her mother is aware of both of these situations and admits that her daughter lies to her all the time. The girl also claims to have had sex with ‘several’ wrestlers. She has also bragged in public about having numerous sex partners and she has committed lesbian acts in front of witnesses.”

Lawler further argued that the girls’ credibility was lacking because of the timeline. The accusers said that the contact happened in June but didn’t come forward until a few months later, after they had gotten in a shouting match with Lawler’s girlfriend at a wrestling show. “Please take the time to check out the reputations of the people involved her, “ he wrote at the start of the final paragraph. “My life and the lives of countless people around me can be irreparable [sic] damaged by this. Thank you for your time and consideration.”

Wade Keller asked Lawler if he had anything to say about the case that he had not already expressed publicly. “I think it was made to sound so much worse than it was when the only way it’s reported is, ‘Jerry Lawler is charged with rape,’” replied Lawler. “When in actuality all it is—here’s a young girl who goes to wrestling who claimed to a friend of hers that she had sex with Jerry Lawler. I mean, how many groupies or girls who go to wrestling have claimed to have had sex with the wrestlers? Millions. And then this just got told to the wrong individual…” Lawler had also made similar comments to Keller several weeks earlier after the story first broke.

The mother also told the police that, after confirming the details with her daughter, she called the mother of the other girl and their stories matched up. The accounts that both girls gave to the police, which involved Lawler stripping naked, the girls being hesitant to do anything, and all of them watching cartoons before the girls finally performed oral sex on Lawler, also matched up. Later, all before the case went public, Lawler—running a tape recorder—called the girls’ homes, where he ended up speaking to at least one of them and/or their mothers; allegations were then relayed about him suggesting that this be taken care of by talking to his lawyer. One of the girls maintained that everything she said was true, but she was unsure if she wanted to pursue the case in light of Lawler’s call. Previously, during the initial police interview, one of the girls had broken down in tears while telling detectives what happened in the motel room with Lawler.

As f0r the issue of whether or not the girls recanted, retired Louisville detective Mike Redmond, who worked the case, told Deadspin that they never did. Instead, they refused to testify against Lawler. with Redmond’s interpretation of the decision being that the girls didn’t want “The King” to get in trouble.

• Thanks 1

Apropos of nothing, but see how the Broken Matt Hardy deal in TNA was really good, but the Woken Matt Hardy stuff on RAW is pretty terrible? Well, the three authors of the Broken stuff we Matt Hardy, Billy Corgan, and Jeremy Borash. Since then, Corgan's done the awesome Ten Pounds of Gold series, and Borash went and had a Broken universe style match himself on TNA PPV (Borash & Park vs Steiner & Matthews). So... were we giving Matt too much credit, or is it just that WWE RAW turns everything into shit?

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apropos of nothing, but see how the Broken Matt Hardy deal in TNA was really good, but the Woken Matt Hardy stuff on RAW is pretty terrible? Well, the three authors of the Broken stuff we Matt Hardy, Billy Corgan, and Jeremy Borash. Since then, Corgan's done the awesome Ten Pounds of Gold series, and Borash went and had a Broken universe style match himself on TNA PPV (Borash & Park vs Steiner & Matthews). So... were we giving Matt too much credit, or is it just that WWE RAW turns everything into shit?

I can't remember anyone ever wanting to see Broken Matt in an actual wrestling ring. It was all camp, skits and people shooting fireworks at rowboats and shit. So except for the fact that broken and woken rhyme, it's really two different acts to me. 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Yes?

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The problem with Woken Matt Hardy on Raw seems to boil down to...it's less that "WWE Raw turns everything to shit", and more that when it comes down to it, "WWE is just TOO GOOD to be truly BAD."

WWE can be bad, mind you- they can be very bad, a lot of times. 

However, at the same time, the wrestlers in WWE are by and large the best in the business, and we're at a point where even the worst person on the WWE roster would be at least "they're okay." Likewise, WWE has some of the best booking minds in the sport, and any booking mind who'd be considered one of the best in the sport is one that WWE could get if they really wanted to.

The quality of WWE's roster- on and off-screen- is very, very good...and because of that, they were doomed to fail at the Woken Matt Hardy stuff.

Broken Matt Hardy worked because TNA hit rock bottom, and when they hit rock bottom, they grabbed a jackhammer and started hammering all the way into the magma, and when they hit magma kept going until they hit the earth's core, and when they hit the core kept going  until they came out the other end and flew out into space. TNA was so bad, on every conceivable level, that Broken Matt's saga could harness So Bad It's Good and run with that to become excellent. 

Woken Matt Hardy, on the other hand, is like if, after the success of "The Disaster Artist", some major movie studio went to Tommy Wiseau and said "We want to remake 'The Room'. We'll give you a $150 million budget, we'll get the best screenwriters in Hollywood to work on the script, and we'll give you an A-List Cast. Just give us 'The Room'." The results would still be bad, but they won't be BAD ENOUGH to become awesome.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Woken Matt Hardy, on the other hand, is like if, after the success of "The Disaster Artist", some major movie studio went to Tommy Wiseau and said "We want to remake 'The Room'. We'll give you a $150 million budget, we'll get the best screenwriters in Hollywood to work on the script, and we'll give you an A-List Cast. Just give us 'The Room'." The results would still be bad, but they won't be BAD ENOUGH to become awesome.

That is an excellent point and one that I almost completely agree on, but then you have guys like New Day and Rusev getting over big-time with the fans with wackiness like Booty-Os, a trombone, and Rusev Day.  Hell, Braun is set for life after the ridiculousness of that Elias segment.  I think the problem with Woken Matt is that it is forced wackiness.  He's trying too hard and it shows. TNA felt like Matt Hardy being creative to avoid becoming irrelevant.   Now he comes off as someone doing what he *thinks* he needs to do and it comes off a lot less natural.  

1 minute ago, sydneybrown said:

That is an excellent point and one that I almost completely agree on, but then you have guys like New Day and Rusev getting over big-time with the fans with wackiness like Booty-Os, a trombone, and Rusev Day.  Hell, Braun is set for life after the ridiculousness of that Elias segment.  I think the problem with Woken Matt is that it is forced wackiness.  He's trying too hard and it shows. TNA felt like Matt Hardy being creative to avoid becoming irrelevant.   Now he comes off as someone doing what he *thinks* he needs to do and it comes off a lot less natural.  

Well, the problem there is also that Woken Matt isn't wacky enough.

Since he became fully woke, the only time where Woken Matt felt like Broken Matt was the segment where Matt Hardy was playing chess with a goldfish he claimed had the spirit of Napoleon Bonaparte inside it. That could have been done by Broken Matt and made sense.

By contrast, Woken Matt just...laughs. And laughs a lot.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's not an album. It is an episode of Ride Along (notice the logo in the bottom left).

They already advertised the Ride Along a few weeks ago.

I mean I guess it could be a soundtrack too but the genesis is a Ride Along episode

You shut your lie-hole, Mr. R - it's going to be the new "Blonde On Blonde" for the New Age!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, can you imagine Dusty Rhodes booking an Elias in the early '80s, giving him a push by letting him getting on stage with David Allan Coe  at the GABs?If Garrett Dylan has any of his daddy's talent, bring him back to feud/team with the  Drifter.

- RAF

Matt is still really over. Seems a success for him. 

Though he is probably not that into it, he seems like a creative person and is not that interested in doing retreads of past work. I think that is why the Hardy Reunions end after a few months. Without a new twist him and Jeff are not really feeling it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I can't remember anyone ever wanting to see Broken Matt in an actual wrestling ring. It was all camp, skits and people shooting fireworks at rowboats and shit. So except for the fact that broken and woken rhyme, it's really two different acts to me. 

This is why it isn't working.  They're not doing any of the stuff that people actually liked about the gimmick.

Oddly, the Broken gimmick got more interesting to me once Jeff turned into Brother Nero.  They were able to bounce off each other and Matt's stuff didn't just seem to be in a vacuum.  

There's also the fact that it wasn't expected to be worth anything and turned out fun; now we've got actual expectations for it and it's going to be difficult to equal.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

There's also the fact that it wasn't expected to be worth anything and turned out fun; now we've got actual expectations for it and it's going to be difficult to equal.  

Exactly. When the initial video came out there was a dumpster fire thread because everyone thought they'd both gone off the deep end and the story of the Hardys was going to end in a Dead Ringers scenario. No one expected it to be the hottest angle in wrestling for a time and catapult them back to relevance. It'd be difficult to live up to that no matter what.

Does anyone know what Borash is going to be doing for WWE? I thought part of the reason for bringing him in was to work on the Woken Matt stuff. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Word on the street is he was a direct hire by Triple H and will be used to produce and do odd jobs in NXT

Folks who were there say Borash was all over the NXT tapings so he has already heavily involved

I have actually been digging the dynamic the last few weeks of the in-ring story they are telling where Bray Wyatt is starting to get thrown off and disturbed that his mind games tactics aren't working on Broken Matt. I popped big this week for Bray doing his corner stance only to have Matt scream "WONDERFUL!" and start clapping in approval.

If the in-ring aspect of this feud ends up just being bullshit like this for the remainder I am fine with what they are doing.

• Like 2