DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

If there is a most hated poll than Matthew Tkachuck will win it easily. He's not a wrestler but he should still win any most hated poll of any kind.

If it's gonna be a hockey player, Claude Lemieux is right fucking there. Fuck him forever.

---------------------

Anyway, if Bayley keeps the bit of edge they let her have last week and Sasha turns on her, she might possibly still be salvageable. Maybe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anyway, if Bayley keeps the bit of edge they let her have last week and Sasha turns on her, she might possibly still be salvageable. Maybe.

I saw some road trip periscopes made by Bayley and Carmella back in 2015. That's the Bayley everyone fell in love with. Genuinely, effortlessly adorable. 

Now years later, she's stuck doing the same thing. And it's become tired. It's schtick. It makes me think of Jennifer Lawrence. When Lawrence rose to fame, part of her charm was how she was all normal and dorky, "just like you". It felt genuine. At first. Now, it's painful to watch a her try to project the same persona.

In Bayley's case, though, I doubt it's her fault. Even the best become stale without something interesting to do. 

That reminds me of something else. Yesterday, I put on Backlash 2016 to see the Miz/Dolph match. That same show has Becky winning a 6-pack match to be the 1st SD women's champ. The crowd were solidly behind her, and they cheered her win bigly. She gives the "all the hard work has been worth it, and thank you for supporting me yadda yadda" interview. The words were right. The crowd was right. 

And yet why were there crickets by the end of her short interview? And why did they put the belt on Bliss very soon after? 

I have to wonder if there's something about Becky that just doesn't work as the champ? Scrappy underdog. Loveable sidekick. Badass opponent. Yes. Champ?

Felt hollow. 

It's not just that she's stale though. They had her be to nice to use a kendo stick against Bliss fercrissake

It's that she's gone from sweet to stupid. Watch the contract signing for her and Sasha. She's still Bayley, but she's passionate and when Banks disrespects her, she decides to beat some respect into her. That character would've been fine.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's not just that she's stale though. They had her be to nice to use a kendo stick against Bliss fercrissake

It's that she's gone from sweet to stupid. Watch the contract signing for her and Sasha. She's still Bayley, but she's passionate and when Banks disrespects her, she decides to beat some respect into her. That character would've been fine.

This. That feud with Bliss really did Bayley’s character no favors especially with the kendo stick match. She’s never fully recovered from looking so weak and ineffectual. 

2 minutes ago, Jamal said:

This. That feud with Bliss really did Bayley’s character no favors especially with the kendo stick match. She’s never fully recovered from looking so weak and ineffectual. 

Bliss is such a great bitchy villain that it should have been easy to set up Bayley as the SuperFace. 

10 minutes ago, Jamal said:

7 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Bliss is such a great bitchy villain that it should have been easy to set up Bayley as the SuperFace. 

They did a version of that with Alexa/Naomi on SDL. Alexa would be a condescending witch and Naomi would kick her square in the face. And they had Naomi tap out Alexa a couple of times to reinforce things. They could have done a similar fiery babyface routine with Bayley and it would have worked. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

They did a version of that with Alexa/Naomi on SDL. Alexa would be a condescending witch and Naomi would kick her square in the face. And they had Naomi tap out Alexa a couple of times to reinforce things. They could have done a similar fiery babyface routine with Bayley and it would have worked. 

It would have been even better, I suspect, because Bayley comes across as more sympathetic and vulnerable then Naomi. So when Bayley fights back and kicks ass, it will seem especially deserved. Oh well, obviously they missed that chance.

Could you debut a character today that essentially does a Frank Castle/Martin Riggs gimmick, that's trying to kill himself in the ring?

Would the lack of kayfabe see people shit on an elaborate backstory of dead wife and kids, and instead of wanting the babyface to fight back and not take a beating, chant for him to kill himself (see Beefcake Raw promo from 93)?

Yes, practically, it's too close to Ambrose's thing, and suicide angles have never ever been done well, but wonder if it's a relatively effective way of establishing character motivation by establishing no motivation at all.

They always talk about doing relevant LGBTQ storylines and characters. How long before Stephanie is shown 13 Reasons Why, and you get something inspired from it?

Wasn't that Lita's gimmick?

She was so depressed from all the drama surrounding the men in her life ( Being stuck with Essa Rios, The Jericho/Christian 'bet', Dean Malenko trying to date her, Matt & Edge, Edge & Kane, Kane & Snitsky...) that she was trying to commit suicide by moonsault?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Hey - I got's shit to do.

1) It means Nikki is closer to working a fuller schedule again. The original story reporting the match was liked by the Bella's official account so one could can accept that as more truth. Probably the least "interesting" of the items since folks could have been guessing that since Rumble.

2) Clearly the WWE doesn't care as much about neck issues as much as it does concussions. One would assume that would change if they were ever sued over their treatment of neck issues but that doesn't seem likely. Of course - the cynic could also just say that the soon to be Mrs. John Cena will be treated differently than everyone else.

3) In storyline - It appears to indicate that they will start treating Nikki like Cena as a "free agent". Which means yet again Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan are really terrible at running their brand. (All this is mute though if Nikki doesn't really return return until after Mania - and we presume there is a Draft/Shakeup again)

4) Nikki on RAW at least means fresh matchups... but most likely at the expense of Bayley

5) Elias/Bayley still teaming long after their run on the MMC will be over is something. I mean it is obvious that Bayley is the woman face who eats all the falls now (see the house shows). Heck the way Vince hates Finn Balor right now - Cena/Nikki beating Balor/Banks would somewhat make more sense.

6) Elias seems to be getting groomed as the backup Cena Mania opponent if Taker backs out (this part really won't be clear until after EC). It also seems like they don't trust Joe to at least be healthy enough to run the program with Cena that originally was gonna start at Rumble.

7) Bayley working at least subtle heel. It would be very WWE like to have Bayley be the one to eventually turn instead of Sasha.

I might have had more random thoughts but those are all the ones I remember

• Like 1